Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Journalism in South Africa?

Journalism in South Africa?

Old Dec 30th 2007, 1:10 am
Just Joined

ScottishRose1971 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Journalism in South Africa?

Firstly, let me just say I am disgusted with the regular bunch of whingers on here...

I see that for those considering moving to South Africa they have to not only negotiate the visa process, but the clique on here, who are intent on slagging South Africa to the ground...

Why is it that when they wanted advice they were given it? For example, Campbell, I see that you were only too grateful to hear peoples opinions without all the negative personal attacks when you asked how NZ was?

Oh, and btw, you seem like a right whinger! You move to NZ and then slag that country as well.

You must be one of those people who are never happy wherever they are?

Anyway, the reason I came onto this board was to ask the non biggoted a very simple question.

I find it incredible that instead of celebrating the end of apartheid the regulars on here bemoan the fact.

Anyway, on with MY question :

My sister has just completed her diploma in Journalism in New Zealand and wants to use her new qualification in SOuth Africa.

Is it possible to get a visa for journalism in South Africa?

Thanks...

Can somebody tell me if she
Old Dec 30th 2007, 4:02 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Journalism in South Africa?

Originally Posted by ScottishRose1971
Firstly, let me just say I am disgusted with the regular bunch of whingers on here...

I see that for those considering moving to South Africa they have to not only negotiate the visa process, but the clique on here, who are intent on slagging South Africa to the ground...

Why is it that when they wanted advice they were given it? For example, Campbell, I see that you were only too grateful to hear peoples opinions without all the negative personal attacks when you asked how NZ was?

Oh, and btw, you seem like a right whinger! You move to NZ and then slag that country as well.

Anyway, the reason I came onto this board was to ask the non biggoted a very simple question.

I find it incredible that instead of celebrating the end of apartheid the regulars on here bemoan the fact.

My sister has just completed her diploma in Journalism in New Zealand and wants to use her new qualification in SOuth Africa.

Thanks...

Welcome to BE

Was this your intoduction or your sisters.

I just love that sneaky smiley .

Hey maybe I know your sister, is she in Malboro perhaps ? Small place New Zealand.

Cheers

PS: Maybe you want to finish your question or should I say your sister's question
Old Dec 30th 2007, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of light

ScottishRose1971 hi, has it not occurred to you, that just maybe, the people on here are concerned about the country of their birth? I for one "slag" the government of the country regally, the crime levels, etc etc...

But I don't think anyone of us is really slagging the country. Take the crime out of South Africa and I bet most of us would consider moving back.

What people like you tend to not understand is that most of us Love our Country, we just hate what is happening to it.

PS: Your sister will be entering a very dangerous job in SA... I have heard stories of journalists being shot in the face in SA.

Last edited by kiwibok; Dec 30th 2007 at 9:28 am.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 2:43 pm
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

It might help if you ask the right people -

http://www.southafricahouse.com/T_LondonOffice.htm

http://www.samigration.com/

I'm sure a bit of effort will bring up more links.

Last edited by 1066; Dec 30th 2007 at 2:45 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Scottishrose1971,
Would you mind giving me examples of your statement"I find it incredible that instead of celebrating the end of apartheid the regulars on here bemoan the fact."
Thank you
Daxk
Old Dec 30th 2007, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Campbells
Welcome to BE

Was this your intoduction or your sisters.

I just love that sneaky smiley .

Hey maybe I know your sister, is she in Malboro perhaps ? Small place New Zealand.

Cheers

PS: Maybe you want to finish your question or should I say your sister's question
Campbell, i am worried about you, you do not seem able to settle in New Zealand...Do you regret moving there? It appears so. I hope you will find the peace you are searching for in 2008. I'll raise a wee dram for you tonight.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Daxk
Hi Scottishrose1971,
Would you mind giving me examples of your statement"I find it incredible that instead of celebrating the end of apartheid the regulars on here bemoan the fact."
Thank you
Daxk
Tricky Daxk. Very slippery. I don't really want to get into a internet fisticuffs here. Nobody wins from those spats. I already know the outcome of that before it starts...Suffice it to say, it's not particularly difficult to read between the lines of where most of the posters are coming from. I wish you all the best - but I wish you could now move on with your lives.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by 1066
It might help if you ask the right people -

http://www.southafricahouse.com/T_LondonOffice.htm

http://www.samigration.com/

I'm sure a bit of effort will bring up more links.
thank you 1066. The links have given a lot of information. I managed to stumble on something very useful. All the best for the new year.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 9:57 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Tricky Daxk. Very slippery. I don't really want to get into a internet fisticuffs here. Nobody wins from those spats. I already know the outcome of that before it starts...Suffice it to say, it's not particularly difficult to read between the lines of where most of the posters are coming from. I wish you all the best - but I wish you could now move on with your lives.
What’s with the “ we should all move on with our lives story “? If you have read into the constant reply from me and many other members here, I have dear friends and family in SA so if I wish to remain connected this is my choice. If this upsets you mate, too bad.

Perhaps you should have thought about getting into “fisty cuffs” before you launched your attack against me and other posters as your introduction. I will reply to your other dig at me separately.

As a piece of friendly advice I would say that your objective of getting your sister’s advice re journalism in South Africa would receive better results if you separated your obvious lack of knowledge with regards to South Africa or for that matter your worries with regards to my life. I really hope that your sister is not relying on you to make her decisions and research with regards to her career in South Africa.

Also, it would seem that you have either studied my previous posts in which case you have decided that your mission on this forum also involves having a debate about New Zealand with me, please note this is the Africa forum.

Also, if I have something to say about the obvious increase in crime in New Zealand I don’t need your approval to do so. Your writing style and attack on me are somewhat reminiscent.

Perhaps I remind you of John Cleese?

PS: Just for your info the Rose is related to England.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 10:11 pm
Banned

Campbell, i am worried about you, you do not seem able to settle in New Zealand...Do you regret moving there? It appears so. I hope you will find the peace you are searching for in 2008. I'll raise a wee dram for you tonight.
You seem quite torn between your sister’s journalism in South Africa and my settling in New Zealand. Once again, this is the Africa forum and suggest you post your questions relating to New Zealand on the appropriate forum.

I do not regret moving to New Zealand but the country is certainly without fault. Perhaps if you offered where you stay it would offer an understanding why you are so concerned about New Zealand in the Africa forum.

This type of discussion has come up several times on here, I quote :

We do look at our new country with a positive focus but we also discuss the potential negatives too. Yes, I was the one in our marriage pushing to get out of South Africa as I experienced a severe imbalance and a very strong take it or leave it attitude coming from the top down and certainly seemed to be spilling into the lower levels too.

My culture is not to accept such an outlook and self-improvement is the reason that I left my “home” country ( Scotland) in the first place ( to better myself).

With the serious deterioration of SA to become a country that certainly does not offer a stable climate ( other than sunshine) to raise children let alone other basic standards why should anyone not consider that there are better options where there is a different understanding ?

With regards to looking inwards at the situation in New Zealand, I can certainly admit that it is not without fault and being Scottish ( my excuse) am used to discussing issues rather than sweeping them under the carpet.

This is the norm for a first world country and usually teaches one to challenge, pressure, argue, group together to pursue the purge of injustices and force correction of what is blatantly unacceptable. It makes people accountable, encourages change, which is necessary for the betterment of most in a healthy society.

Have a few wee drams for me mate as I really think you are the one that needs to chill.

PS: How the research for your sister doing
Old Dec 30th 2007, 10:15 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Daxk
Hi Scottishrose1971,
Thank you
Daxk
Yeah mate,

I think you nailed it

Happy New Year to you & yours
Old Jan 1st 2008, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Slippery? Scottishrose1971?? excellent description of your reply!
Kindly read between the lines for us as you seem to have the giftie!!

Really liked your comment about moving on with your lives , it has helped with my forensic linguistics 101 course, immensely! thank you.
But Back a bit!! kindly expand on reading between the lines.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 6:54 pm
Banned

guest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really nice

Thanks...

Can she speak Afrikanns? if not forget it.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 10:40 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by guest5234
Can she speak Afrikanns? if not forget it.
Never mind Afrikaans - ZULU baba, that the one now. If not Zulu then Xhosa wena.

The South African black folk are on a mission to remove any links to Afrikaans as a lot of the names and heritage is linked to apartheid and it's founders.

Dare I ask the question Is she black ?

Have you, your sister taken the BEE and AA into considration ?

Zuma is promising to push that harder than it has been to date so whilst the sister may have the qualifications she may not be the right colour as that is the way it is in SA - NEWSLASH

Last edited by Campbells; Jan 1st 2008 at 10:44 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

sa2oz will become famous soon enoughsa2oz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Campbells
What’s with the “ we should all move on with our lives story “? If you have read into the constant reply from me and many other members here, I have dear friends and family in SA so if I wish to remain connected this is my choice. If this upsets you mate, too bad.
We all have friends and family there but the thing is they choose to remain there, so nothing can be done. I am not sure how sharing your beliefs here can change them being there, or the conditions they choose to live in.

Many say they cannot leave, thereby absolving themselves of any responsibility for their situation, when the truth is that they like it there. I have 2 brothers there who were in this situation. One has suddenly changed his mind. The one who was hi-jacked twice, shot once, still insists he must stay there.

ScottishRose, try looking at http://www.ioljobs.co.za/ and investigate whether there are opportunities before worrying about a visa.
BEE will be an issue but maybe homecomingrevolution.co.za ca assist.
There are many large newspaper groups, and even more local papers. Does she have a chosen area to live in

Good luck

Last edited by sa2oz; Jan 1st 2008 at 11:43 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.