Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

How simple is the application process for SA?

How simple is the application process for SA?

Old Jul 8th 2009, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

emmylou09 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How simple is the application process for SA?

I currently work in the oil&gas/chemical/petro-chemical industry, but have qualifications in the pharmaceutical industry as well, I have read that there are opportunities in these industries in several areas of SA, if I did manage to find work in SA and was accepted for a position, does your new employer then help to push through your application?
I have read about the scheme where preference is given to local, perhaps disadvantaged applicants, how in reality does this effect the chance of finding work?

Also, what are the rules on non-married couples? My boyfriend and I have been together for over 6 years but are not married, would he still qualify as my spouse?

Thanks in advance
emmylou
Old Jul 9th 2009, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How simple is the application process for SA?

Originally Posted by emmylou09
I currently work in the oil&gas/chemical/petro-chemical industry, but have qualifications in the pharmaceutical industry as well, I have read that there are opportunities in these industries in several areas of SA, if I did manage to find work in SA and was accepted for a position, does your new employer then help to push through your application?
I have read about the scheme where preference is given to local, perhaps disadvantaged applicants, how in reality does this effect the chance of finding work?

Also, what are the rules on non-married couples? My boyfriend and I have been together for over 6 years but are not married, would he still qualify as my spouse?
You would need to apply for a Temporary Work Permit. This would be tied to the job for which you had received a job offer, and you would not be permitted to change jobs without applying for a new permit.

The potential employer would need to demonstrate that a suitably skilled local person was not available.

A spouse or someone in a spouse-like relationship would be permitted to accompany you if the relationship was bona fide. But the spouse would not be permitted to work unless he/she had also obtained a Temporary Work Permit.

Full details should be available on the web site of the South African Department of Home Affairs.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 11:11 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How simple is the application process for SA?

Originally Posted by Pablo

Full details should be available on the web site of the South African Department of Home Affairs.
All the information you will need is here:

http://www.home-affairs.gov.za/servi...asp?topic=temp

Good luck - in my experience it will be much easier be easier to find a job and then get a visa, than trying to get a visa without a job. A bit chicken and egg, but Home Affairs probably won't even look at your application unless there is a job offer - and that is a whole new can of worms...