How depressing...

Old Apr 11th 2007, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

6000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy How depressing...

I sometimes wonder why people choose to emigrate.
This forum should be full of the REAL things about SA, but instead 95% of the threads are moaning about crime. Contrary to popular belief, there is far more to SA than a high crime rate - but you wouldn't think so from reading here.

I'm always surprised - shocked even - that expats talk this way about their adopted country (and it's not just on here). I just don't understand why - is it because the weather is too good to complain about? Another possible reason is the "danger" of living here and how brave you are to have taken the plunge.

But seriously, do you go around living 95% of your daily lives worrying about when you're going to be raped, robbed or murdered? If so - why stay? I'm intrigued.

Please don't take my comments personally - I think that moving to SA (or maybe anywhere) requires a whole change of mindset. I don't see that on here.

Answers on a postcard please (or just hit reply).

6000 miles...
Old Apr 11th 2007, 1:38 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How depressing...

Originally Posted by 6000
This forum should be full of the REAL things about SA, but instead 95% of the threads are moaning about crime. Contrary to popular belief, there is far more to SA than a high crime rate - but you wouldn't think so from reading here.

I'm always surprised - shocked even - that expats talk this way about their adopted country (and it's not just on here). I just don't understand why - is it because the weather is too good to complain about? Another possible reason is the "danger" of living here and how brave you are to have taken the plunge.

But seriously, do you go around living 95% of your daily lives worrying about when you're going to be raped, robbed or murdered? If so - why stay? I'm intrigued.

Please don't take my comments personally - I think that moving to SA (or maybe anywhere) requires a whole change of mindset. I don't see that on here.

6000 miles...
Yeah, your right we weren’t brave enough to stay in SA as we have our child to consider. What is the age you can get a handgun in SA now? Anyway, still a few years away from that.

I think the HCR site was pretty much the same thing, just crime. In fact it does seem to be a bit of an issue
Old Apr 11th 2007, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

kevinhenator is just really nicekevinhenator is just really nicekevinhenator is just really nicekevinhenator is just really nicekevinhenator is just really nicekevinhenator is just really nicekevinhenator is just really nicekevinhenator is just really nice

6000 miles...
6, you really do trivialise the violent crime in SA. Yes, the weather is great, but the crime, corruption and racism (not playing any cards here, just relating my day-to-day experience in this county) is real.

It might not be 95%, but I do constantly worry about my wife and three young boys. If I dont hear form my wife every few hours if she is out on the road I start to stress. I respect your decision to promote SA, like I said if you dont mind being second class citizen, then it's fine (ironic that this is how I feel considering SA history & apartheid? damn ironic, buts thats the reality.) I think you should respect our decision to relate our feelings and experiences. Despite your protests, some people have found ALL (-ve and +ve) posts usefull.

While you havent discussed (i dont think) your reasons for leaving UK, I am sure you think they are valid, despite some brits disagreeing??

Do you ever listen to SAFM? I listen to the talk shows daily, and it is becoming increasingly clear to me (I have only wanted to leave SA for the last few months) that whites will never be forgiven for apartheid. Bearing this in mind (and the fact that proportional representation will always be a FACT in SA), what future do my kids have in SA?

Again, you really dont come across as being objective in your posts, SA seems to be the land of milk and honey, you would have everyone believe.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

6000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kevinhenator
6, you really do trivialise the violent crime in SA. Yes, the weather is great, but the crime, corruption and racism (not playing any cards here, just relating my day-to-day experience in this county) is real.

It might not be 95%, but I do constantly worry about my wife and three young boys. If I dont hear form my wife every few hours if she is out on the road I start to stress. I respect your decision to promote SA, like I said if you dont mind being second class citizen, then it's fine (ironic that this is how I feel considering SA history & apartheid? damn ironic, buts thats the reality.) I think you should respect our decision to relate our feelings and experiences. Despite your protests, some people have found ALL (-ve and +ve) posts usefull.

While you havent discussed (i dont think) your reasons for leaving UK, I am sure you think they are valid, despite some brits disagreeing??

Do you ever listen to SAFM? I listen to the talk shows daily, and it is becoming increasingly clear to me (I have only wanted to leave SA for the last few months) that whites will never be forgiven for apartheid. Bearing this in mind (and the fact that proportional representation will always be a FACT in SA), what future do my kids have in SA?

Again, you really dont come across as being objective in your posts, SA seems to be the land of milk and honey, you would have everyone believe.
Racist, Paranoid, Victim mentality, Subjective, Negative, Pessimistic, Partisan.
(In no particular order)...

When you do go, please don't become another you-know-who...
Old Apr 20th 2007, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

monique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud of

[FONT=Georgia]Racist, Paranoid, Victim mentality, Subjective, Negative, Pessimistic, Partisan.
The violence and other problems in SA is well known and documented and not a paranoid mentality. I know a number of families born in SA, who loved their country, but left for the future of their children.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 4:31 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Just keep noticing all the Homecoming Revolution cronies surfacing. Must be feeling a tad threatened by the power of words.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 6:33 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Isn't it just Tegwyn. They've been trying to obfuscate the truth for years.

Same thing happened in Zimbabwe where Mugabe's goons used to do the same thing on any Zimbabwean site/thread that told the truth.

Bully with lies in order to pull the wool over those who didn't have a clue's eyes.

Unfortunately, many went back to Zimbabwe based on their 'homecoming revolution tactics' and today are destitute.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

6,If I may,
The fact that our Hi-Jacking and armed Robbery only happened once in my 50 plus years and probably would'nt happen again did'nt drive me out of SA.
Neither had the 3 Unsuccessful Hi-jacking attempts and one Mugging done so.
Nor did my neighbours armed invasion while having a Braai one saturday afternoon,,Enid Patels Hi-jacking in her driveway 2 doors up, or the Armed Robbery and hi-jacking at my daughters Nursery School,
None of the above forced me to leave South Africa,
Neither did AA or BEE,I was'nt really affected by them.
I never managed to change the Politics in SA pre 94 so it's highly unlikely I'll change them post 94.
What forced me to turn around one Sunday morning, walk inside and tell my wife we were leaving was the presence in my driveway of 3 of our attackers, out on Bail after 2 weeks, just letting me know that they knew where I live should I decide to testify.
I realised that I was about to spend the rest of my life waiting for something bad to happen ,that I have a daughter who will go through teenage years of going to the mall, going to parties ,dating, and I will spend every waking moment worrying about what if.

That image of my lifestyle to come was unacceptable
I dont care if people stay , go or return.
Dont know them, dont care, affect my life not a jot.
But I do care about people who trivialise what affected 119,726 Families who experienced Armed Robbery last year,18528 who got murdered,54,926 who reported Rape or the 13,000 reported Child rape cases by saying it's not that bad!
It may never happen, but if it does, it changes your perspective forever.
And a lot of "bitter" 24/7 expats have a changed perspective.