Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Holiday in Zim this July - some advice welcomed

Holiday in Zim this July - some advice welcomed

Old Dec 26th 2018, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday in Zim this July - some advice welcomed

Hope you have a pleasant holiday with your family. If you are renting a car, and we did a number of times, the roads in Harare are pot holed beyond belief, everywhere !! Our first Hyundai struggled spectacularly, a VW polo performed admirably. If you are driving at night you will catch a few !! 4x4 hire is expensive in country. Enjoy the drive and I am sure you will see an abundance of hippo.
Old Dec 26th 2018, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

And to answer the question regarding security. Nothing on top of what you would do in any overseas location and less than you would take in SA. We didn’t feel threatened wondering around Avondale flea market or stopping at village shops in the middle of nowhere and having a craiq with the locals. We didn’t get ripped off in taxis. Babweans are friendly as ever, a friendly little nation despite their situation
Old Dec 28th 2018, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Do you have much personal experience of visiting Zimbabwe?
Visiting Zim, no. Living in Rhodesia yes, and still have contacts there who unfortunately didnt get out in time. Not one has recommended my visiting now, as it would be so disappointing to see the disaster. They cant afford to leave there. I did do my time in the 70’s and saw things best forgotten. I have fond memories and prefer to leave it like that.
Old Dec 30th 2018, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
And to answer the question regarding security. Nothing on top of what you would do in any overseas location and less than you would take in SA. We didn’t feel threatened wondering around Avondale flea market or stopping at village shops in the middle of nowhere and having a craiq with the locals. We didn’t get ripped off in taxis. Babweans are friendly as ever, a friendly little nation despite their situation
Thanks for that. I just need to organize camera insurance now. Otherwise we are mostly set.
Old Dec 31st 2018, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Hope you have a super time as we did. Stating the obvious but if you are on any meds then take them with you as the pharmacies were under stocked even during the time of plenty in the general shops and gas stations when we were there
Old Dec 31st 2018, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you have a super time as we did. Stating the obvious but if you are on any meds then take them with you as the pharmacies were under stocked even during the time of plenty in the general shops and gas stations when we were there
Cheers.

Yes, I have my meds all stocked up. So all good.
Old Jan 25th 2019, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

We've been here a week and a half now. The roads are full of pot holes, power and water are scarce, petrol queues a mile long, beer rations, internet turned off and social media blocked by the government for a week.

Having said that. ...we are having an absolutely fabulous time. Alfresco's family are wonderful people and we're all having a blast together. The houseboat trip on Lake Kariba was amazing. I've seen more hippos than I knew existed and even caught a couple of Kariba Bream and a Tiger fish.

I think coming here without having family or friends to help out with all the currency confusion and knowledge of what's happening around the place could be challenging. I'd highly recommend the experience if you do know people here though.
Old Jan 25th 2019, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

So glad you are having a super time Kim, I was concerned it might be a nightmare.
Old Jul 3rd 2019, 5:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So glad you are having a super time Kim, I was concerned it might be a nightmare.
Originally Posted by Kim67
We've been here a week and a half now. The roads are full of pot holes, power and water are scarce, petrol queues a mile long, beer rations, internet turned off and social media blocked by the government for a week.

Having said that. ...we are having an absolutely fabulous time. Alfresco's family are wonderful people and we're all having a blast together. The houseboat trip on Lake Kariba was amazing. I've seen more hippos than I knew existed and even caught a couple of Kariba Bream and a Tiger fish.

I think coming here without having family or friends to help out with all the currency confusion and knowledge of what's happening around the place could be challenging. I'd highly recommend the experience if you do know people here though.
We survived indeed and had a great time.