Reload this Page >

Help - lost my UK driving licence

Help - lost my UK driving licence

Old Nov 24th 2010, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

oboejane will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Help - lost my UK driving licence

Hi Ed,
Please post if your contact has heard anything. I need to send my licence back to update the photo as well just to add to the mess.
Jane
Old Nov 24th 2010, 4:32 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Will do Jane - don't hold your breath. I emailed them right now - someone called Thabo Tsholetsane - who is the Senior Executive Manager at the RTMC. Will keep you posted.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 7:28 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

So - as mentioned yesterday I emailed again. Got this reply this morning (and a voicemail)....Amazing. Will end in tears I'm sure, but a sign of life....
Goodday!
It would be appreciated if you can set-up a meeting with my PA Esther at the contact details below, furthermore bring along all the documentation regarding the matter.
Regards
John Motsatsing
Department of Transport
Old Nov 25th 2010, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed
Please do me a favour and go.....
Ok. Well maybe not.

So - as mentioned yesterday I emailed again. Got this reply this morning (and a voicemail)....Amazing. Will end in tears I'm sure, but a sign of life....
Goodday!
It would be appreciated if you can set-up a meeting with my PA Esther at the contact details below, furthermore bring along all the documentation regarding the matter.
Regards
John Motsatsing
Department of Transport
Eish!

"There's life Jim, but not as we know it."

Old Nov 25th 2010, 10:02 am
Just Joined

Does this mean the 4 years is true do you reckon as it sounds it? I'd better run to the embassy and get a letter I think.
Jane
Old Nov 25th 2010, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by oboejane
Does this mean the 4 years is true do you reckon as it sounds it? I'd better run to the embassy and get a letter I think.
Jane
No - I think it is still 1 year. I have an appointment with him in early December!

If you should loudly enough you'll eventually be heard.

Seems to work for some on BE too.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks. I'll also keep shouting. Let us all know how your meeting turns out.
Thanks.
Jane
Old Dec 8th 2010, 8:14 am

Righty ho - had my meeting with the Director at the Department of Transport this morning.

A very nice chap - heard my long sad story and just shook his head. He couldn't believe the hoops you have to jump through to get this sorted and was very apologetic (a first for a government official?).

He confirmed that only last week he has had the law changed to increase the time limit for licence conversions to 5 years from the date of your initial application for residency - this is very good news! He even showed me the gazette with his and JZ's signatures on it.

I have been asked to go back to Langlaagte (gulp) and resubmit my documents - but this time he has promised to get me a name for someone to go and see there, and a written instruction to provide the conversion for me. He has also told me to call him on his mobile if I encounter any resistance.

The cynic in me tells me that this seems to good to be true, but I will go back in the next couple of weeks and see.

Old Dec 8th 2010, 8:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Righty ho - had my meeting with the Director at the Department of Transport this morning.

A very nice chap - heard my long sad story and just shook his head. He couldn't believe the hoops you have to jump through to get this sorted and was very apologetic (a first for a government official?).

He confirmed that only last week he has had the law changed to increase the time limit for licence conversions to 5 years from the date of your initial application for residency - this is very good news! He even showed me the gazette with his and JZ's signatures on it.

I have been asked to go back to Langlaagte (gulp) and resubmit my documents - but this time he has promised to get me a name for someone to go and see there, and a written instruction to provide the conversion for me. He has also told me to call him on his mobile if I encounter any resistance.

The cynic in me tells me that this seems to good to be true, but I will go back in the next couple of weeks and see.

Langlaagte

Old Dec 8th 2010, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Help - lost my UK driving licence

This sounds like good news!

Tomorrow I'll try going to the High Commission to get a letter and as I finish at work on Friday I'll go along to Centurion next week and see if I get any joy.
I think we all had better keep our fingers crossed though. Will let you know what happens.
Thanks
Jane
Old Dec 9th 2010, 3:34 am

Thanks Jane - I know one of the stipulations is that your letter from the high commission which validates your UK licence has to be less than 3 months old - which means I need to get a new one (mine is from May 2007 when all this started!). When you go, please confirm the cost (if any) and how long it takes.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 4:42 am
Just Joined

Will do Ed. I'm planning on dropping in on my way home tonight if I can get away early enough! I was told R190 when I enquired in August but I will check. Jane
Old Dec 9th 2010, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Jane - I know one of the stipulations is that your letter from the high commission which validates your UK licence has to be less than 3 months old - which means I need to get a new one (mine is from May 2007 when all this started!). When you go, please confirm the cost (if any) and how long it takes.
Hi Ed,

Here is the answer that I got from the high commission.

Thank you for your enquiry. You can submit your request by post, courier or in person at the Consulate in Hatfield (Glyn Street, off Schoeman Street). Full addresses and counter hours can be found at

http://ukinsouthafrica.fco.gov.uk/en.../south-africa/

We will require:

A letter requesting the service (if not in person)
Both original parts of your UK driving licence (card and paper counterpart*)
A certified copy of photo ID (e.g. SA ID, UK passport)
2 x passport photos
Payment of R 556 (bank issued cheque to 'British High Commission' or completed credit card form [attached for postal/courier applications])
If submitting by post, you should also pay for return registered post (add R 116 to the cheque amount or tick the postage box on the credit card form)
*If you have the old style paper-only licence we do not require a card licence

Please note that in most cases the letter we provide is sufficient for the SA Traffic Department. Occasionally they may then request confirmation of codes on the licence, which we cannot give. In such instances you will need to request certificate D737 from the DVLA in Swansea ([email protected]).

I now need to send my licence back to the UK to update my photo unfortunately!

Jane