Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Harare experiences please!

Harare experiences please!

Old Jul 1st 2012, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harare experiences please!

Originally Posted by Rick b
Ah more Pablo nonsense, if you disagree just lie and slander.
Where's the lies and slander? You say you're not that person, then glad to hear it, because that person had the moral stamp of those who deny, for personal gain, the existence of the Nazi death camps.

the female reporter who used to be on here to go to Harare over the elections in 2008 who also said she had no issues and was surprised at how welcoming it was.
I don't think anyone seeks to deny that Zimbabweans are often welcoming. However, that has hardly been the central question over the past years when it comes to what has been going on in Zimbabwe.

I don't recall what the female reporter's analysis of the political situation was, if indeed she attempted one. Many others however were at the time covering the violence, political rape-as-terror tactics, the starvation, political violence, torture and economic collapse. Perhaps, when your female reporter said she had no 'issues', she failed to look. Even the Archbishop of Canterbury, who is hardly a right-wing extremist, has noticed 'issues' in Zimbabwe.

Is the BBC still banned from reporting on the 'issues'?
Old Jul 1st 2012, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

chazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nice

Originally Posted by Yve
Yes, but that is not the first African country with those issues, of course it's not the country it used to be.
We lived in Kenya and there is way more violence there by our experience, and this is not due to anything political such as farms. Many colonials were targeted and beaten up on a regular basis! It is also very underdeveloped even in Nairobi, no water and electricity was normal, but crime is our concern regarding returning there to live.
We visited Zim when it was listed as an unsafe place to visit and it was hard to find a flight going there, we didn't notice anything particularly dangerous just crazy inflation and we had the best holiday we've ever had. We went into the rurals and met locals too. We all know things went downhill but things are supposed to be on the up. Albeit slowly, but that is to be expected. We are not going to automatically dismiss a country just because of it's political past and we do not go by just what the media says. We all know what propaganda does.
We are interested in the day to day living, and living amongst the local people who we found extremely friendly.
If the country has an infrastructure which is now comparable to Kenya and crime against foreigners (unless you're a farmer) is still relatively low then this is what we're interested in.
Cost of living is the surprise, but we'll see what we may do about that.
About 15 years ago i went to South Africa and lots of Zimbabweans were their they said the economic situation was terrible, and the only plus point was mugabe did not tolerate crime. (except against farmers)

And therefore it was much safer to walk the streets in zimababwe.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Rick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pablo
Where's the lies and slander? You say you're not that person, then glad to hear it, because that person had the moral stamp of those who deny, for personal gain, the existence of the Nazi death camps.
Well the lie would be accusing me of being the person who you had obviously had an issue with for promoting some business thing on this website. Where as in fact you were wrong. I was someone who actually lived in Zimbabwe and simply seeked to show what it was really like, which is a far truth from your lies.

Remind me, when were you last there? In the country that you claim to know so much about?

I don't think anyone seeks to deny that Zimbabweans are often welcoming. However, that has hardly been the central question over the past years when it comes to what has been going on in Zimbabwe.
Which was not what the OP was asking about, nor did she seek opinions of the media viewpoint of Zimbabwe. I assumed that the OP would have at least a smattering of knowledge about the recent Political history.

The OP asked what Zimbabwe, specifically Harare was like to live in at the current time. I answered that as I have lived there very recently, with facts and examples. You didn't. Remind me again, when did you last live there? In the country you claim to know so much about?

I don't recall what the female reporter's analysis of the political situation was, if indeed she attempted one. Many others however were at the time covering the violence, political rape-as-terror tactics, the starvation, political violence, torture and economic collapse. Perhaps, when your female reporter said she had no 'issues', she failed to look. Even the Archbishop of Canterbury, who is hardly a right-wing extremist, has noticed 'issues' in Zimbabwe.

Is the BBC still banned from reporting on the 'issues'?
"My reporter" - actually an Independent reporter who got published on the BBC, but never mind the facts eh? What next? I'm a Zanu-PF stooge who hired a reporter to make a story about Zimbabwe being lovely and I seek to advertise it by going on Expat websites?

Zimbabwe is very simple -if you do not seek to farm or be involved in Politics in any way you are perfectly safe. As a tourist going to Hwange or Vic Falls you would not notice any problems at all, certainly not now the US$ is used as the official currency. If you live there you will find a community of probably 3000-5000 NGO's, Embassy workers and Internationals who are working and living quite happily in the city. There is a varied nightlife (not obviously anything like the West) but at Sam Levy's Village alone there are 5 bars now. There are plenty of restaurants ranging from Thai to Italian to Chinese to Indian to Pub food. Contrary to what someone else has said here, having Zimbabwe on your CV as an International actually gives the impression of being able to adapt, something that when moving countries (this is an expat website right?) is invaluable.

But I am also a realist, you do have to be cautious and you do have to understand the fallbacks. I mentioned Healthcare strongly in my previous post and I could also say the weakness of the Police Force and it's corruption should you ever get into any trouble could be a issue. Personally if I was in the OP's shoes, I would NOT go to Zim. Why? Because she said she had a child of school age. That to me is not going to be advantageous to the kid as he/she won't have the Western advantages that their parents are forsaking for their dream. If you don't have children to worry about health and education wise then Zimbabwe is a great place to experience for a few years. You really won't have too many issues, but if you have kids you should really think about how they will be able to get on there.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Well the lie would be accusing me of being the person...
I think you'll find that was a question, which you presumably, in your eagerness to launch into your self-referential tirade, failed to read.

What next? I'm a Zanu-PF stooge who hired a reporter to make a story about Zimbabwe being lovely and I seek to advertise it by going on Expat websites?
See what I mean?
Old Jul 1st 2012, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Rick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really nice

I think you'll find that was a question, which you presumably, in your eagerness to launch into your self-referential tirade, failed to read.

See what I mean?
Yes Pablo, you are correct. Always and in everything. Happy?

Great - are you able to give any particular advice to the OP regarding the question of living in Harare now in the present day? If so I'd be glad to discuss that with you, I'm not interested in taking this thread off topic. If you want to start a thread on the pro's and con's of Zimbabwe politics no problem, send me a link and I'll be there. You will probably be disappointed though as you would find I would agree with you in most things and there wouldn't be much of an argument. Although after Mujuru was killed last year my opinion which is shared by a fair few is that at the moment Mugabe staying in power comes under "better the devil you know, than the devil you don't".
Old Jul 1st 2012, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm not interested in taking this thread off topic.
Then why drop in your foolish comment at the start: "Ignore the likes of Pablo and his hatred"? Did you lose control of yourself?

So please don't come over all prim and proper and self-righteous now.

Last edited by Pablo; Jul 1st 2012 at 2:49 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Then why drop in your foolish comment at the start: "Ignore the likes of Pablo and his hatred"? Did you lose control of yourself?

So please don't come over all prim and proper and self-righteous now.
Perhaps because your second comment on the thread was:
Comparable to Zimbabwe? You mean political tyranny, government-sponsored death gangs, rigged elections, economic collapse, the complete wrecking of a once prosperous country, graft and corruption passim, state gangsterism, out-of-control HIV infection, zero healthcare?

Yes, that's a hard one. But even by African standards Mugabe has made rather a hash of things
The fact the OP had to plead with you to stop kind of makes me think I'm not the only one.........

Originally Posted by Yve
I asked for experiences not media related info otherwise I'd be looking on another website and seeing as you are neither Zimbabwean nor relating any personal experience from living there I do not see how you could have freedom of speech in this thread
Have you ever sat back and thought for just a second that perhaps commenting so aggressively on a situation that you do not (by your own admission) know about from personal experience is not helping the OP?

I'm not being self righteous. When I first came here you and Campbell took every thread off track about anyone wanting to go to SA or Zim. Many people simply want to ask questions that are unrelated to the media, about real day to day experiences in these countries. This website gives them the chance to and you decide for some unknown reason to refuse to give them that chance. Perhaps instead of choosing which of my posts to answer you'll answer the whole post - why others should not be allowed to ask the questions they want to ask in peace and get answers from those who are on or have been on the ground recently?
Old Jul 1st 2012, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

why others should not be allowed to ask the questions
Clearly you're on a mission today, aren't you. But I think you'll find it is others, not me, who seek to censor criticism and demand that comment should be suppressed.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Clearly you're on a mission today, aren't you. But I think you'll find it is others, not me, who seek to censor criticism and demand that comment should be suppressed.
You're cherry picking of my words to suit yourself is laughable and childish. Either contribute or leave others to. Criticism is fine when constructive, I think you'd find it hard to find anyone who agrees your words fall under that category. Go away or answer my whole last post - if you have the ability to construct the sentence.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

You quote my words about the tyrant, his tyranny and his crimes, and accuse me of hatred. Well yes, I do hate those things and I despise those who seek to airbrush them away.

But to suggest, as you seem to suggest, that I hate the OP is nonsense. The OP made it pretty clear that she was not concerned about the tyrant and his works, or perhaps regarded them as non-existent. She just wanted to know about the mechanics of living/surviving in that country.

My personal view is that it is not possible to live for long under such a corrupt regime without ending up corrupted and debased oneself. Some are forced to, which is another matter. Your view on this question may differ. So may the OP's.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 7:23 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Pablo. Not that he needs or wants my support. You must remember that the first thing a tyrant does is remove freedom of speech. Pablo and I have had our differences, but I am sure we both agree that as soon as you lose the right to comment and criticise, you lose the first principle of freedom and thats what Bob did in Zim. If you don't agree with what he says, ignore it...you have that right too. That's more than the people of Zimbabwe have had.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 1:40 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

and I second what Ed just said. Some people prefer the head in sand approach and simply want the "happy" response. I personally no longer subscribe to fairy tales to suit my needs or cater to that of others. I have learned that reality seems to hit the door awfully fast - especially when naive about the surrounding issues. I think the other Op was given the gift of a heads up to the real issues. Personally I would prefer they are only offended by words and not deeds from those that can do so much more harm.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
and I second what Ed just said. Some people prefer the head in sand approach and simply want the "happy" response. I personally no longer subscribe to fairy tales to suit my needs or cater to that of others. I have learned that reality seems to hit the door awfully fast - especially when naive about the surrounding issues. I think the other Op was given the gift of a heads up to the real issues. Personally I would prefer they are only offended by words and not deeds from those that can do so much more harm.
Yes, I had forgotten that whatever the OP wanted, which was a view of living in Harare and not anything about the Political situation, does not matter around here as long as you guys get your views in................
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 2:06 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I had forgotten that whatever the OP wanted, which was a view of living in Harare and not anything about the Political situation, does not matter around here as long as you guys get your views in................
Easy tiger, let's not get our knickers in a twist.....

You can always ignore other people's posts you know...you don't have to read them....it's a democracy.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ededed
Easy tiger, let's not get our knickers in a twist.....

You can always ignore other people's posts you know...you don't have to read them....it's a democracy.
Oh I quite agree, but the same applies that if you are not able to answer the OPs specific question, why not just leave the thread alone?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.