Groundnuts Scheme

Old Jul 21st 2017, 12:53 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Groundnuts Scheme

Originally Posted by scot47
In my 20s I remember flying out to Lusaka and sitting next to someone who had worked on the Groundnuts Scheme in Colonial Tanganyika. I have also over the years met many involved in the Central African Federation. Now when I look abck and think on my years in Africa on the ODA/OSAS programme I realise that I too am part of history and will soon be dead and forgotten - like all those on previous colonial and neo-colonial developments.

Should I write me memoirs ? It will soon be too late.

Overseas
Service
Aid
Scheme
= OSAS

was the Ministry of Overseas Development scheme that seconded British nationals to work in newly-indepedent Commonwealth states. I was in Zambia 1973-1977
Simple answer is a resounding yes from me.
Memoirs are a very important part of recording historical events .

Please do.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 1:30 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

In my 20s I remember flying out to Lusaka and sitting next to someone who had worked on the Groundnuts Scheme in Colonial Tanganyika. I have also over the years met many involved in the Central African Federation. Now when I look abck and think on my years in Africa on the ODA/OSAS programme I realise that I too am part of history and will soon be dead and forgotten - like all those on previous colonial and neo-colonial developments.

Should I write me memoirs ? It will soon be too late. .....
I agree with BEVS (that's usually the best policy anyway ), definitely have a stab at writing your memoirs.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 10:05 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Write and they [well a few anyway] will come. I loved a similar i suspect book of the east india company, imagine being told on arrival to find a local girl for a housekeeper, and that sleeping with such a dictionary was the way to lern the lingo and customs...
Old Jul 21st 2017, 10:10 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

My father was in the scientific civil service so called, spent a number of years working with the FO on russian and chinese tech exchanges [anyone know about the vodka cola deal, or how pilkington came to supply nasa with glass for space use ?] before the iron curtain came down. The language was ripe to say the least, not normally written down but the descriptions i heard of african nation leaders were wonderously racist in todays terms.
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

In my 20s I remember flying out to Lusaka and sitting next to someone who had worked on the Groundnuts Scheme in Colonial Tanganyika. I have also over the years met many involved in the Central African Federation... I was in Zambia 1973-1977
A cousin of mine - much older than me - had several jobs in eastern Africa from the 1950s until 1972. At various times he was Asst Chief Secretary, Northern Rhodesia (in Lusaka), then Asst Secretary, Mines, Labour & Civil Aviation (also in Lusaka), then Asst Secy, Ministry of Agriculture, Kenya, then Diocesan Secretary of the Anglican Diocese of Northern Rhodesia and later Zambia, & Secretary to the Bishop (later, Archbishop).
It might all be a bit before your time, but I mention it just in case. His name was Arthur Barlow
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, Northern Rhodesia ! I got there 10 years after independence but the work of the colonialists was everywjere to be seen.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

My connection with Zambia continues, I am in regular touch with one of my grandaughters who is training to be a nurse at college in Lusaka. My name lives on !