Moving to Lagos soon

Old Feb 25th 2018, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Jimmysqueen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Lagos soon

Moving to Mogado in March/April with my Nigerian husband and am very excited. I've been looking for some groups that I can join for tips and advice and so far have only found a FB group for gardening (one of my passions). Hoping to connect with people that can guide me in things like hairdresser, dog groomer, best place to do my shopping etc. There doesn't seem to be any forums out there for ex pats in Lagos. Hope there is someone here?!
Old Feb 26th 2018, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Lagos soon

I don't have too much to offer except to say read the following post, and also the 14 posts that preceded it.
Link HERE
You say you are excited about the prospects, and that is surely one big plus in your favour.
Some 30 or so years ago whilst working for a UK-based multinational company, I was contacted and told I had been nominated for a reposting to Lagos in a support role to their AirForce, and to start making preparations. To say I wasn't keen would be an understatement, but knowing one couldn't normally refuse a posting, I changed tack and used the one diplomatic bargaining chip open to me, which fortunately worked in my favour.
I was married with a young child, and tactfully suggested that imho the Nigerians would get more dynamic support from a younger, single guy with a fresh mind and modern ideas, and who would have more freedom to travel the country, and in all probability would give our company a more positive profile. Surprise, surprise - my arguement was heeded, and after a hectic month of specifically training up a very bright young lad, off he flew to Lagos. Believe he enjoyed it until almost into his first year there was a minor, bloodless military coup and he was advised to leave, which he did.
Personally I have no regrets whatsoever in never having been there. But what doesn't suit some may be heaven for others.
Perhaps one of the best tips has already been given by one poster, "It's not all that bad as long as you arrive there with no expectations and an open mind."
I hope everything turns out ok for you. Just one request! Please report back here from time to time with your opinions and especially general experiences. They could be invaluable for others planning a similar move in the future.
Oh, and please - no spamming from Nigeria........
Good luck!

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Feb 26th 2018 at 8:00 am.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you that you look forward to moving to Lagos. I lived and worked in Lagos as a single female many years ago. Life was reasonably easy with the support of a large foreign firm. I don't think you will find many expat wives these days. However, you will find some foreign wives married to Nigerians. Hairdresser services were non existent then (western hair), vet services were poor. Your husband or his family may have connections. All the best.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

My condolences. I was in Nigeria in the 1970s. I did not enjoy the experience.

I spent 4 years in Zambia and enjoyed it. i spent 17 years in Saudi Arabia and tolerated it. i could not handle Nigeria.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
I spent 4 years in Zambia and enjoyed it. i spent 17 years in Saudi Arabia and tolerated it. i could not handle Nigeria.
I have two friends who worked for Barclay's Bank in Nigeria in the early 70s. They lived the life of Riley as single men, but today in their old age they don't recall being especially happy there, and were glad to leave - one to East Africa, the other to the Caribbean. Mind you, they racked up healthy pensions that they're very happy to have now!
Old Feb 28th 2018, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Overall I enjoyed my 6 years in Nigeria in late 70ties. I have fond memories of
Sunday lunch at Ikoyi Club. It would have been very tough without employer's support. When NEPA power failed, we had generators, taps never ran dry. Plus money earned was excellent. I would not want to return.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Anrev is an unknown quantity at this point

I am an expat wife here (some of the time) in Ghana. There are a few expat wives and you get to meet people from all over the world which is always interesting. Most people speak a bit of English and it's a great way to learn a new language.
Enjoy your time in Lagos.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a great difference between Ghana and Nigeria. The first I found welcoming but the second very negative and hostile.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Anrev is an unknown quantity at this point

Scot47 - that's interesting. I flew here on Egypt Air as I was not keen on going via Lagos for a longish stopover. Your comment has made me think I made the right choice.
Old Mar 4th 2018, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

There is a great difference between Ghana and Nigeria. The first I found welcoming but the second very negative and hostile.
This is my experience too. And Nigerians haven't changed a bit.