Generic questions!

Old Nov 18th 2007, 7:53 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Generic questions!

Originally Posted by amb

I am very aware that the opinion I'm getting from my bf is not the true one, hence why I thought I'd ask some Brits living in SA. (Still not sure if there are any here!)
maybe Dr Ruth can help with bf

Not sure if there are too many Brits in SA either

Good luck
Old Nov 18th 2007, 7:54 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by amb
Thanks to the posts that are relevant, ie Tegwyn (no I am not 13 and running off with my first puppy love), and 1066 (of course they're generic, I've not yet been to SA).

I am very aware that the opinion I'm getting from my bf is not the true one, hence why I thought I'd ask some Brits living in SA. (Still not sure if there are any here!) I am doing all the research I feel like I can, including making the most of real life people with real life experiences, but as I say, while it's awesome to get that, I also don't feel like I'm being allowed to leave my mind open to actually visiting the country. I don't think I am allowed to think I might, maybe, perhaps, slightly like the place.

I'll leave you all to the politics talk, I guess there aren't any other topics to do that in.

We don't dislike the place. We dislike the government/criminals *(one and the same IMO), who are ruining it for everyone.

That's the thing amb. The politics talk as you say, is what you will encounter in South Africa. You might as well get used to it. It is due to the politicians lack of governing that the country is under fire. What we are talking about on this board, specifically the crime situation and the danger of being a statistic, is what you will hear at every party, braai, dinner gathering, in the workplace, on the radio if you go there....this is a real problem.

You're not going to a place that freaks out because you have to pay a new tax if you drive into central London. You are entering a place where your life is worth nothing. Where you can be murdered as you pull into your driveway during daylight hours in a busy street and the murderers drive away - never to be caught. It might never happen to you, but it has happened to thousands of people of all colours, including a close friend of mine who was gunned down in his driveway as he came home from work.

Is anyone here stopping you from visiting the country? Maybe what we're giving you is the benefit of our collective experience of living there for 30 or 40 or 50 or 60 years, in Johannesburg, where you're going to live, and living outside the country so we understand your mindset, as you're living in a first world safe country.

If you came here hoping for us to say, oh, go ahead, you'll love it, it is very safe, you've come to the wrong place. We will tell you the truth, which is the fact that when you go there, you are at the very real risk of being a rape statistic, a murder statistic, an armed robbery statistic, a hijacking statistic - a very real possibility that it might happen - why? Because it has happened to all of us, or our friends or relatives or work colleagues, many many times over the years.

Of course the decision is up to you. Just be aware that when you go there, you have to be extra security conscious and alert.

You are entering a place that does not play by first world rules. It is Africa at its worst. You could live there without any problems, but then again, if your name comes up in the lottery, which happens often, that's it. You are raped, you are likely to get AIDS. You are hijacked, you will be shot, you get the drift.

whalewatcher is a Brit living in Cape Town, suppposedly one of the safest cities in the country and he's going back to the UK because of the crime situation and the overall situation of lawlessness and corruption. Maybe you can search his posts to see why he is leaving or pm him?
Old Nov 19th 2007, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Stanley10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Redlippie
'Juggernaut. Answer me this question will you, and I'll reply to your post.

Why did the exiles criticize the country during the apartheid years? Why did they not stay and voice their opposition within the country and try to change the country from within?
Firstly the majority of them did not have the vote.
Secondly, they would most likely at some stage have been detained without trial, with the possibility of torture and in some cases death in detention.
Thirdly there was the very real prospect of going to jail for expressing their views. It was illegal to be a member of the ANC, SACP etc.
That's just a few reasons, it's a bit easier to oppose the govt these days.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Stanley10"it's a bit easier to oppose the govt these days."

And they pay just as much attention as the last lot did!
Old Nov 19th 2007, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Daxk
Stanley10"it's a bit easier to oppose the govt these days."

And they pay just as much attention as the last lot did!
A little less actually, they no longer come kicking your door down at 3 am in the morning.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 8:41 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Stanley10
That's just a few reasons, it's a bit easier to oppose the govt these days.
Whaaatttt
Old Nov 19th 2007, 8:44 am
Banned

A little less actually, they no longer come kicking your door down at 3 am in the morning.
The only difference is - that it is someone else kicking down your door - on behalf of
Old Nov 19th 2007, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Campbells
The only difference is - that it is someone else kicking down your door - on behalf of
A conspiracy theory perhaps.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 9:21 am
Banned

A conspiracy theory perhaps.
Perhaps not
Old Nov 19th 2007, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Then what is your point?
Old Nov 19th 2007, 9:37 am
Member Delux

Juggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant future

you see, Campbells is of the opinion that the government wants crime to prosper...to what end? Ive read the ..'crime is big business for the government' tripe. It makes even less sense than him.

Unfortunately amb you will hear a lot of politics on this board. If you have lived in S.A for a while theres no getting away from it. I like to call things as I see it .We're only the first generation since '94. Habits and thoughts are slow to change on both sides .
I'm not a white South African, let me make that clear .You will often see posters on this board sneer at BEE and AA. Yet when it suits them, like in DaxK's post they will use it for convenience . Were it not for those types of initiatives every other org outside of government would still have the exact racial profile it had pre 1994. The majority of our white bretheren is resistant , no ....dead set against change.
Thus youll see many of the Redlippie type posts ,reading "..we dislike the government/criminals. ". Dear Campbells himself have made the utterance elsewhere that "maybe we should leave Africa to the africans " . So thanks for your concern for us africans Campbells .I have a son below the age of two as well .I am as concerned for his wellfare when he is old enough I'll make sure he knows all about how great NZ is, your latest adopted country...till things there dont sit well with you.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juggernaut
Were it not for those types of initiatives every other org outside of government would still have the exact racial profile it had pre 1994. The majority of our white bretheren is resistant , no ....dead set against change.
This is something that you do not know. Furthermore, it is predicated on the assumption that all whites are racist.

The UK does not have Affirmative Action and all the other "empowerment" stuff, yet the racial profile has altered over the years as those with appropriate skills learn, improve, and are promoted.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pablo
This is something that you do not know.
Deep down inside Pablo, you know it's true.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 9:58 am
Banned

you see, Campbells is of the opinion that the government wants crime to prosper...to what end? Ive read the ..'crime is big business for the government' tripe. It makes even less sense than him.
You have missed the point completely therefore to you it doesn’t make sense and you will try to discredit me so as to make your point.

Unfortunately amb you will hear a lot of politics on this board. If you have lived in S.A for a while theres no getting away from it. I like to call things as I see it .We're only the first generation since '94. Habits and thoughts are slow to change on both sides .
So what are you saying – apartheid is still alive

I'm not a white South African, let me make that clear .You will often see posters on this board sneer at BEE and AA. Yet when it suits them, like in DaxK's post they will use it for convenience .
This type of mentality is the problem

. Were it not for those types of initiatives every other org outside of government would still have the exact racial profile it had pre 1994.
Which was ?

The majority of our white bretheren is resistant , no ....dead set against change.
A broad sweeping RACIAL COMMENT and anyone referring to blacks in SA would be locked up for such a comment

Thus youll see many of the Redlippie type posts ,reading "..we dislike the government/criminals. ". Dear Campbells himself have made the utterance elsewhere that "maybe we should leave Africa to the africans " . .
My wife is African mate

So thanks for your concern for us africans Campbells .I have a son below the age of two as well .I am as concerned for his wellfare when he is old enough I'll make sure he knows all about how great NZ is, your latest adopted country...till things there dont sit well with you.
So now you are moving to New Zealand ?

If we want to move I have an EU Passport mate. Lots of options.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 10:01 am
Banned

Deep down inside Pablo, you know it's true.
Must be a Jedi mind trick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.