Generic questions!

Old Nov 15th 2007, 4:26 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Generic questions!

Originally Posted by Juggernaut
Dang ! you guys did a good job there.

The great tag team of Pablo, Campbells, redlippie ,Tegwyn and DaxK struck again. I bet amb is now totaly scared stiff.

Cambells still thinks its a racial thing.... Shame.
Sure thing,

It was the elite whites

Now it's the elite blacks

Old Nov 15th 2007, 7:56 pm
amb
Forum Regular

amb is a jewel in the roughamb is a jewel in the roughamb is a jewel in the roughamb is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Pablo
Of course you'd rather that everyone pretends the problems of crime, corruption, incompetence and municipal breakdown are not mentioned. My advice to the original poster was that she should view what is going on by checking out the details for herself. I gave her links to the main media publications. The problem with you, Juggernaut, is that you have forgotten what it feels like to live without the kind of constant security worries that are typical of South Africa.

I certainly appreciated the push to look out for news myself, everything else seemed more like forcing me to believe, and totally disregard my better half's experiences, in favour of blind panic and fear.

It's one thing to be honest, but it seems like people are on a personal mission to scare the living bejebus out of me, which won't benefit you or I really!
Old Nov 15th 2007, 9:02 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, just go with your eyes open, and also consider the fact that homesickness always makes the grass greener. There are problems, you need to be aware and go accordingly. Incidentally, we are not here to scare you, the folk that get up to this nonsense in South Africa are the ones to be concerned about. Happy travels.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 9:06 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by amb
It's one thing to be honest, but it seems like people are on a personal mission to scare the living bejebus out of me, which won't benefit you or I really!
True, there is no benefit at all.

That is the worry.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 9:26 pm
amb
Forum Regular

amb is a jewel in the roughamb is a jewel in the roughamb is a jewel in the roughamb is a jewel in the rough

What must I do? Spend a year hiding in a home with the biggest dogs I can find with the strongest bars I can find on all the windows? It sounds like it won't be enough, so what will? Not going is not an option.
It's not as if the only answers I expected were that I'd miss Hollyoaks, but I had rather hoped there might be something pactical I can do to prepare beyond kissing my backside goodbye!
Old Nov 15th 2007, 9:33 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by amb
What must I do? Spend a year hiding in a home with the biggest dogs I can find with the strongest bars I can find on all the windows? It sounds like it won't be enough, so what will? Not going is not an option.
It's not as if the only answers I expected were that I'd miss Hollyoaks, but I had rather hoped there might be something pactical I can do to prepare beyond kissing my backside goodbye!
Learning to kiss backside is a good induction

The alternative is to wave a few R200 notes
Old Nov 15th 2007, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, find a new boyfriend!
Just joking, ok!!
Saffa's have a macabre sense of humour.
We need it.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 1:05 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

How long has your bf been out the country amb? Go with the understanding that it is an african country and the rule of law as you know it does not apply. It is a rather selective sort of justice anymore.

Just remember that bf is going home to an environment he already knows (hopefully), and he will need to guide you through the necessary changes to ensure your wellbeing and happiness. Will you be working or dependant on him? You both need to have a long talk about what you hope to get out of your time there, and if things don't pan out, what options do you have and will he compromise with you should you want to leave. If he glibly blows off the issues I would be concerned.

If he addresses all your issues to your satisfaction, give it a whirl, you may well have a positive experience. Be smart and be vigilant. It is a different world from the one you know. Just make sure you have an open ended return ticket and passport so you have peace of mind should you have a change of heart. Give it a try but be aware of your challenges. Ignorance, believe it or not, is not bliss. Good luck to you.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 4:52 am

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
How long has your bf been out the country amb? Go with the understanding that it is an african country and the rule of law as you know it does not apply. It is a rather selective sort of justice anymore.

Just remember that bf is going home to an environment he already knows (hopefully), and he will need to guide you through the necessary changes to ensure your wellbeing and happiness. Will you be working or dependant on him? You both need to have a long talk about what you hope to get out of your time there, and if things don't pan out, what options do you have and will he compromise with you should you want to leave. If he glibly blows off the issues I would be concerned.

If he addresses all your issues to your satisfaction, give it a whirl, you may well have a positive experience. Be smart and be vigilant. It is a different world from the one you know. Just make sure you have an open ended return ticket and passport so you have peace of mind should you have a change of heart. Give it a try but be aware of your challenges. Ignorance, believe it or not, is not bliss. Good luck to you.
well said
Old Nov 16th 2007, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amb
Not going is not an option.
...Then go. As you say above, there is no decision to be made.

I must say I think you are being a little unfair on people who have given you their advice and opinions. I think you should bear in mind that you are talking to people who are a lot older and more experienced than you, who have in many cases made the very difficult decision to leave their homes, careers, friends, and a country they love, uproot themselves, and start again from scratch, often with children in tow.

You have only asked very general "generic" questions so far. You can easily do plenty of research for yourself and investigage those questions about South Africa that particularly interest or concern you.

If you have not already heard of HomeComing Revolution, an organisation with a web site that is specifically designed to entice expat South Africans back, then you can easily look there for the so-called positive news. I am totally up front about my contempt for Homecoming Rev, but you can make your own judgement about what they have to say. My own view is that you will see confirmed, if you read between the lines of their propaganda, a good deal of the "negative" comment on this site. But that is your judgement to make.

Furthermore, as others have hinted to you, your b/f and his family may well have an interest in presenting SA in a more rosy light than is the true situation. But that too is a judgement that only you can make.

In the end you just have to suck it and see. Advice and opinion is just that. Take it or leave it. Go and find out for yourself.

And besides, as you have said yourself, not going is not an option. So go.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Stanley10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Has someone already said they find Pablo a tad condescending?
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:20 am
Banned

The headlines look sad for Johannesburg
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:21 am
Banned

See Mandoza is also " accused"
Old Nov 16th 2007, 10:58 am
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

Quite honestly, I think you've all been had ....... a troll alert might be in order.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stanley10
Has someone already said they find Pablo a tad condescending?
Sorry, Stanley, if you would rather sneer than try to answer properly (see your messages passim). As far as I am concerned, there are such things as experience, learning, intelligence and wisdom. Everyone, irrespective of their background, or indeed the colour of their skin, has the ability and indeed the obligation, to make the best of themselves. If you find that irksome and prefer to wallow in a pit of ignorance then that's too bad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.