Generic questions!

Old Nov 11th 2007, 10:32 pm
amb
Forum Regular

amb is a jewel in the roughamb is a jewel in the roughamb is a jewel in the roughamb is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Generic questions!

Randburg. Boyf says they haven't had a spot of bother, possibly due to always having big dogs!
Old Nov 11th 2007, 10:35 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by amb
Randburg. Boyf says they haven't had a spot of bother, possibly due to always having big dogs!
Everyone has large vicious dogs over there. The crims poison them and then break in. Happens every day, in dozens of households all over the country, including Randburg, which is considered part of Johannesburg. I lived there for a few months, 11 years ago.

He has not been bothered because his name hasn't come up in the lottery yet. That's all.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 10:37 pm
amb
Forum Regular

amb is a jewel in the roughamb is a jewel in the roughamb is a jewel in the roughamb is a jewel in the rough

Thanks.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 10:41 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

There is a reason I left my family/friends, my 3 little boys left their grandparents, aunts, cousins, friends, two very successful businesses, and all I knew to move to a country that I had never been to before and had to build up my business again from scratch.

I'll give you a clue. It starts with a C.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 10:43 pm
amb
Forum Regular

I don't want to sound too rude, but didn't you do your research before setting up a home there? What made you go in the first place?
Old Nov 11th 2007, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, know Randburg very well, it's a fairly large area stretching from Craighall out past Randparkridge, going South to North, and Blairgowrie to Cresta East to West.
End of the day it's your choice, long as you do it fully informed.
My experience of any large dog or dogs is A) they will eat Hamburgers or Biltong , I caught a guy in our street feeding the dogs hamburger patties, , was'nt his first time, the dogs all wagged their tails when they saw him coming.
and B) as my Friend Mike Ling found out with his 4 boer bulls, when theres someone at one side of the property, they will pack to attack through or against the fence. The other 3 guys climbed over the opposite fence and the Boer Bulls did'nt even see them.
Either your Bf's Family are one of the very few (Statistically there must be some) who have'nt been affected by crime but I can think of 8 friends within the environs I just mentioned and all of them have had majors.
I dont classify losing a car radio ,a handbag , a mugging or even having a car
stolen as being a major.
Just remembering, Tony Lewis in Randparkridge was about two weeks back, they were breaking into his house while he was asleep, think it was his daughters bedroom, they should be in Oz in Jan, his neighbours house was petrol bombed, Rick Loveland was shot in may this year, John Griffins Parents were tied up and robbed ,anyway, I suggest you keep track through IOL and News24 and warn your B/F that if by any chance he is being untruthful, the consequences may well be life threatening, ie, you will kill him before anyone else gets a chance to.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amb
I don't want to sound too rude, but didn't you do your research before setting up a home there? What made you go in the first place?
amb, I think Redlippie moved somewhere AWAY from SA and the Crime

I too sold business's and arrived in Ireland to start a new life for the same reason,
Old Nov 11th 2007, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by amb
My husband had spent a lot of time here over the years. I live in the USA.

Why did I move here?

Friends, work colleagues, acquaintances, neighbors murdered.

Loads of friends and acquaintances held at gunpoint by armed men, including two different families who were held up in their home/store by gunmen with AK47's who held their guns to their 10 year old, the one, and their 12 year old, the other, little boys. Upon calling the cops, they were told they didn't have petrol to come out and investigate the crime.

Countless friends being car hijacked, including my closest male friend who was followed home and hijacked outside his home by a bunch of men in a minivan. He was not killed because he was coming home from gym and they could see he didn't have a gun on him. His neighbor wasn't so lucky. He was killed a few months later on the pavement outside his house in a robbery.

Another close friend being car hijacked in his driveway with his 5 year old son still in the car. He held on to the door until they stopped and let the little boy out, before taking off again.

Note, these people are upper middle class - lived in the best suburbs, with loads of security.

A close friend shot in the leg just because the AK47 wielding men who were robbing his business wanted to have fun.

Mother in law arriving home on more than one occasion from shopping, to find armed men in the house, luckily they didn't rape or kill her, just stole all her jewelry and a gun.

Sister in law held with a knife to the throat and threatened, but got away after someone came along.

We were burgled dozens of time, with us knowing who had done it on more than one occasion and the cops didn't bother to come out once, including when they stole our one shotgun.

I saw the way the education system was going down the drain. How the healthcare system was degenerating, to the point where you don't dare go to a government hospital (even in a world-class hospital like Groote Schuur where the first heart transplant was performed). The government corruption, which is beyond anything imagineable.

Plus, I am from Zimbabwe, though I lived in SA for many years. I recognized the signs of where SA was headed from having lived in Zim post-independence.

Basically the fact that I didn't want my kids or myself/husband to be crime statistics. Which are a very real possibility.

Some others that post here were not so lucky. dax might share his experiences with you. A young girl who used to post here was raped when she went back on holiday a year or so ago.

It is more than a nightmare. It is pure hell. Surrounded by a patina of paradise.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 11:12 pm
amb
Forum Regular

Thanks for everyone's help.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

Cosmos is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Amb

Your situation sounds very similar to mine so though I would ost my experiences. I met my SA husband in the UK 7 years ago, he was also very keen to move home. We eventually moved out to Jozi 6 months ago.

Your main probem will be getting a visa, we waited nearly 2 years for PR. They have since changed the rules in that you now have to be married for 5 years before they will consider you for PR (and still be prepared for a long wait). Your alternative is a temporary visa but you won't be able be to work. You may get sponsorship but unless you are in a very highly skilled trade its unlikely with so many unemployed.

I was lucky I found work relatively quickly, my salary is less than half what it was in the UK but I have slightly changed industries and taken a more junior role so it will improve but I won't ever be earning the same as I did in London. Cost of living is much cheaper but I double the cost of everything to take into account my wages then its not so cheap. However I would say lifetyle wise, cost of housing etc we life a lifetysle ere we could only dream of in the UK, meals out once or twice a week, belonging to a nice gym, golf club, gorgeous weather.

Security wise we live on a very secure estate, which has plenty of outside space for running, walks etc. I would not consider living in a normal house here. We luckily have not been affected by crime, but the threat is always there and it seems very commonplace, I sent one of the guys who works for me home the other week - he'd been shot at the night before in a house burglary and still turned up for work. Everyone here has their stories of crime and mainly gun crime.

However, I'm enjoying it so far, no real thoughts of returning to the UK yet. I've also spent quite a lot of time in Oz ad NZ and to be honest woudl rather return to the UK than move there, bit too quiet and isolated for me.

Hopw this helps, PM me if you have any specific questions
Old Nov 12th 2007, 6:09 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by amb
What area in Randburg ?

Got friends in Ferndale, Cresta, North Riding and Olivedale
Old Nov 12th 2007, 6:40 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Cosmos
Hi Amb

. However I would say lifetyle wise, cost of housing etc we life a lifetysle ere we could only dream of in the UK, meals out once or twice a week, belonging to a nice gym, golf club, gorgeous weather.
Yup, it is a great lifestyle and finely balanced by the trade-off of the looking over your shoulder every minute. If you live in a secure complex you still have to go out.

The weather is a big one for me and Gauteng has awesome weather. We had our own pool and miss that and our wee lad loved the water.

The turning point for us was when my wife fell pregnant, a little pale male. This wee lad is our world and very very precious to us. Living in SA I thought several times what I would become if my wee lad fell victim to one of the savage crimes. I didn’t like the thoughts that I had and being surrounded by sicko stuff all day long drove us out of there.

We have been in New Zealand nearly three years now and there certainly is crime here too and it is on the increase BUT it is crime and very few incidents of the murders like SA.

Most of the violent crimes in SA reek of racial hatred and I would say from 2000 onward the racial tension in air was / is dire.

There is the one BIG question.
Why do most crimes include rape, murder, and sick torture and of course an incompetent police force that is unable to catch the criminals.

Easy solution:
The government say they are looking for ways to hit back at crime – I don’t believe that.

In Fourways ( Johannesburg) there were something like seven different ARMED RESPONSE companies operating in the area, each with several vehicles patrolling the area/s. NONE of these companies are empowered to arrest / engage / shoot at gun wielding criminals / blah blah blah. The rights are all stacked against the criminals.

If the ANC had to empower these private security companies and get them working with the police force – OVERNIGHT they would quadruple the size and efforts against crime.

That is just one small example of a logical question

Crime is BIG BUSINESS in South Africa. Seemingly bigger than the potential tourism industry.

It is SO SAD as it is such a stunning beautiful country.

Take care
Old Nov 15th 2007, 12:37 pm
Member Delux

Juggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant future

Dang ! you guys did a good job there.

The great tag team of Pablo, Campbells, redlippie ,Tegwyn and DaxK struck again. I bet amb is now totaly scared stiff.

Cambells still thinks its a racial thing.... Shame.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juggernaut
Dang ! you guys did a good job there.

The great tag team of Pablo, Campbells, redlippie ,Tegwyn and DaxK struck again. I bet amb is now totaly scared stiff.

Cambells still thinks its a racial thing.... Shame.
Of course you'd rather that everyone pretends the problems of crime, corruption, incompetence and municipal breakdown are not mentioned. My advice to the original poster was that she should view what is going on by checking out the details for herself. I gave her links to the main media publications. The problem with you, Juggernaut, is that you have forgotten what it feels like to live without the kind of constant security worries that are typical of South Africa.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

You know, Juggernaut, I was chatting to a couple here who went to Cape Town for their honeymoon. Trip of a lifetime, God's own country, they could see the VA from the Hotel, as they left to walk down to it, the doorman said , no, you must take a taxi....

Why?? they could see it, a couple of hundred metres down the road, they walked the first part, then ran the second as they had all these young shadows running with them.
They taxi'd back ,
They will go back for holidays' but they're now a lot more aware.
So is amb,

Her choice, but an aware choice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.