British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Africa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/africa-84/)
-   -   ESKOM HALTS DEVELOPMENT (https://britishexpats.com/forum/africa-84/eskom-halts-development-519254/)

Campbells Mar 5th 2008 7:06 am

ESKOM HALTS DEVELOPMENT

Eskom have announced that it can not provide any electricity for project bigger than a house :eek:

http://www.24.com/news/?p=saa&i=856424

They say 6 months – ha ha :lol::lol:

Of course there is no mention of the power gobbler that is due in 2010

THE FIFA WORLD CUP :eek::eek:

Of course that is what they are saying in South African summer; let’s see what they say in winter.

Anyone care to guess how much gas heaters are going to cost in SA this winter?

The ship is going down :thumbdown:

Tegwyn Mar 5th 2008 3:16 pm

Re: ESKOM HALTS DEVELOPMENT

It is one thing to delay permitting of new developments but to actually stop providing power to existing large projects is going to have a horrendous impact on those that are financing the projects. Who can afford to simply sit on a project for a minimum of six months and still have to pay the bills?:eek:

Campbells Mar 5th 2008 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Tegwyn (Post 6021022)
It is one thing to delay permitting of new developments but to actually stop providing power to existing large projects is going to have a horrendous impact on those that are financing the projects. Who can afford to simply sit on a project for a minimum of six months and still have to pay the bills?:eek:

exactly

What about all the 2010 projects that are on the go ( maybe not a good choice of words:rofl:).:confused:

Tegwyn Mar 6th 2008 1:26 am

The 2010 projects will continue apparently but all others will be knocked. I see a very ugly fight building. http://www.thetimes.co.za/News/Article.aspx?id=720825 Just wait until winter hits.:thumbdown:

AudsFrmSA Mar 6th 2008 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Campbells (Post 6019305)
Eskom have announced that it can not provide any electricity for project bigger than a house :eek:

Of course that is what they are saying in South African summer; let’s see what they say in winter.

Yet another reason to get out :thumbdown:

newkiwi Mar 10th 2008 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Campbells (Post 6019305)

Mewonders......what exactly is going to change in 3-6 months time to allow eskom to start approving developments then?????
if they dont have the capacity to provide electricity for any new developments now, they wont have the capacity in 3 months time, 6 months time, a year, well, who knows for how long. Id hazard a guess that there is no way eskom can significantly increase its capacity for many years to come.

The implications on economic growth is massive, no new developments, halt to construction industry (does eskom know what the turnover of the construction industry is and its contribution to GDP, not to mention the number of people employed??!!??), no housing developments, no new capital investment or associated job creation...

Im usually quite restrained comepared to some on this forum, but this, IMO, is a potential disaster on a huge scale.

If things are in place to fix the prblem now, and eskom hit the ground running tomorrow they must be looking at 3 - 5 years before any marked improvement, but they are nowhere near beginning to tackle the problem yet, and then spouting this 3-6 months cr#p..

As an aside, as an engineering student in the early to mid nineties, i remember a number of my fellow students who had bursaries from Eskom being told around 1995/96? that eskom would honour their bursary commitments, but due to AA, there would be no jobs on offer at the end of their studies, please try and find jobs somewhere else..

looks like the system then had about 10 years' redundancy built into it, which has now been used up.

id love to see how this is going to be fixed in 3-6 months time, i bet many management consultant firms with "connections" are being appointed and paid many millions to study the problem...

sad sad sad

Tegwyn Mar 10th 2008 2:14 pm

I think they are using this 6 months theory to give themselves some leverage during the winter months. Demand on power will obviously increase. It should be very telling exactly what the fallout will be if the weather is unusually cold.

Tegwyn Mar 13th 2008 11:57 pm

Season has not even changed yet and they are already beginning their load shedding. http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?s...1241731C163108

Tegwyn Mar 15th 2008 3:21 pm

Here goes, and the season is still mild. http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?s...1806602C398381

Tegwyn Mar 16th 2008 3:21 pm

To add insult to injury, the "wealthiest" are going to be carrying the brunt of the cost. http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?s...0722727C562475 :eek:

Campbells Mar 16th 2008 7:14 pm

All sound good,

One question:

How are they going to police ( bad choice of words) this :lol::lol::lol:

Do I understand that Eskom are going to have their own police, the electricity usage police:lol:

So whilst the butchers that slaughter women and children roam the streets the jails will be full of criminals that exceeded their electricity quotas :lol:

I am not saying it will not happen as one the highest levels of efficiency I experienced was when the municipality came to tear down our so-called illegal street closure gates.

You know, let the butchers in – don’t keep them out ;)

Tegwyn Mar 16th 2008 7:38 pm

Simple really. They just look at your power bill, and if it shows around the same usage, they just tag on a whole lot more charges to rake in the cash. You don't pay - they cut you off. Try fighting that and see how far you get with those outstanding government employees.

Redlippie Mar 18th 2008 12:07 am

I well remember this happening in Zims. Many of our farmer friends lost their entire harvest the one year because they didn't have electricity for their electric pumps. They bought diesel ones chop chop but by then it was too late.

Tegwyn Mar 18th 2008 9:24 pm

Mines are no longer protected. http://www.thetimes.co.za/Business/B...aspx?id=729531 They are scrambling to try and pick up as many generators as possible.

Redlippie Mar 19th 2008 12:13 am

Eskom may declare force majeure
I am so dying to say it......:unsure:

Campbells Mar 19th 2008 7:36 am

Eishkom now DEMANDS to hike their tarrifs by

53%

Oh, of course their managers are due to receive R10 M bonuses this month based on PERFORMANCE :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Obviously based on a world class delivery :lol::lol::lol:

http://www.24.com/news/?p=saa&i=868173

Juggernaut Mar 19th 2008 8:14 am

The current power crisis has brought attention to a resource that we as south africans have been taking for granted for years. Has the current government made a hash of their forecasting , most definitely. In fact the government and Eskom should jointly shoulder resonsibility for the current crisis .

One the flipside though we had to make a change in our usage patterns .As citizens we must face the fact that we have to start using our electricity wiser .
How many households make use of gas. visiting relatives in the UK made me aware of just how effieciently they use their electricity. Huge fuel tanks for central heating and geysers , gas stoves etc...

Compared to them we have been paying a lot less for this resource with moderate increases. In 2004 i know the electricity tariffs were increased by 20%.
They have more than 20 suppliers of electricity across the country .

How many alternate sources of electricity do we have besides coal and nuclear.

In short we need to start looking at our entire energy supply. A change is sorely needed.

Juggernaut Mar 19th 2008 8:19 am

Lets see what increase will be allowed by the regulator and then I'd like to compare my electricity tariff with yours .How bout that ?

Changes are needed We cant go on with business as usual .

Campbells Mar 19th 2008 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Juggernaut (Post 6082991)
The current power crisis has brought attention to a resource that we as south africans have been taking for granted for years. Has the current government made a hash of their forecasting , most definitely. In fact the government and Eskom should jointly shoulder resonsibility for the current crisis .

One the flipside though we had to make a change in our usage patterns .As citizens we must face the fact that we have to start using our electricity wiser .
How many households make use of gas. visiting relatives in the UK made me aware of just how effieciently they use their electricity. Huge fuel tanks for central heating and geysers , gas stoves etc...

Compared to them we have been paying a lot less for this resource with moderate increases. In 2004 i know the electricity tariffs were increased by 20%.
They have more than 20 suppliers of electricity across the country .

How many alternate sources of electricity do we have besides coal and nuclear.

In short we need to start looking at our entire energy supply. A change is sorely needed.

Mate,

You sound like you are going to get a performance bonus from Eishkom

“A change is sorely needed”?

DESPERATE MEASURES IS MORE APPLICABLE

Don’t pull the line that we have been taking electricity for granted for years,

It is a global standard of energy

Not unless you are considering going back to rubbing sticks together to make fire

Well at least most folk would consider that “going back”

Let's hope you feel the same way about paying 50% more for 25% less ;)

Daxk Mar 19th 2008 12:05 pm

Yes, Juggernaut, let us compare Apples with Apples.
I live in Ireland,known to be one of the more expensive countries in the EU.
I live in a 4 bedroom,4 bathroom House of approx 270 Sqm, I rent out my Primary Home in Johannesburg, which is a 4 Bedroom 5 bathroom house of approx 300 Sqm.
My Electricity and Paraffin (Kerosene) for the central Heating averages out at E150/month in Winter and E115/ month in Summer.
My Tenant pays Jo Met an average of ZAR1850/Month for electricity alone,excluding water
The ZAR Natural level at this time should be around ZAR9/Euro based on a 7% Devaluation it has shown over the past 10 years.
If you dont have a calculator handy I'm paying around ZAR1350 and i can assure you we are heavy users, every light in this place is on and Central Heating runs at 22 degrees C, same as my underfloor heating was set in ZA

Have a look at this for those who say SA is cheap to live in:

http://www.tycoon.co.za/2008/03/13/g...s-cheap-in-sa/

Rick b Mar 19th 2008 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Daxk (Post 6084028)
Yes, Juggernaut, let us compare Apples with Apples.
I live in Ireland,known to be one of the more expensive countries in the EU.
I live in a 4 bedroom,4 bathroom House of approx 270 Sqm, I rent out my Primary Home in Johannesburg, which is a 4 Bedroom 5 bathroom house of approx 300 Sqm.
My Electricity and Paraffin (Kerosene) for the central Heating averages out at E150/month in Winter and E115/ month in Summer.
My Tenant pays Jo Met an average of ZAR1850/Month for electricity alone,excluding water
The ZAR Natural level at this time should be around ZAR9/Euro based on a 7% Devaluation it has shown over the past 10 years.
If you dont have a calculator handy I'm paying around ZAR1350 and i can assure you we are heavy users, every light in this place is on and Central Heating runs at 22 degrees C, same as my underfloor heating was set in ZA

Have a look at this for those who say SA is cheap to live in:

http://www.tycoon.co.za/2008/03/13/g...s-cheap-in-sa/

Wow, that seems quite expensive for South, but reasonable for Europe. The apartment I used to live in in London but now rent out has electricity and gas bills which run at about £180 in total per month. (Obviously a bit more in winter and a little less in summer depending on when the heating is on). Thats a 2 bed apartment.

In Zim the power bills are simply stupid. In my opinion they need to make business's and those with larger houses pay more. My home bill for Jan (didn't see my Feb one before I left) was equivalent to $18US/£9 and the one for the business was only a little more at $26/£13 I and many others get very frustrated at the low bills and bad service - much rather pay more to keep the maintenance up.

Daxk Mar 19th 2008 2:44 pm

No, RickB, my tenant is using less electricity than I di. my average monthly bill when I left in 2004 was ZAR1500. I know exactly what my tents bill is, I monitor it every month, if he does not pay,the Council does NOT switch him off, they merely add it to my rates account ad infinitum, try doing THAT if you are living in your own home and you'll live in Darkness.
where I am fortunate is that this house is Brand new,well insulated and the wiring grid around me is brand new too, so no little shorts to up electricity usage as you find in older houses apartments

Rick b Mar 19th 2008 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Daxk (Post 6084609)
No, RickB, my tenant is using less electricity than I di. my average monthly bill when I left in 2004 was ZAR1500. I know exactly what my tents bill is, I monitor it every month, if he does not pay,the Council does NOT switch him off, they merely add it to my rates account ad infinitum, try doing THAT if you are living in your own home and you'll live in Darkness.
where I am fortunate is that this house is Brand new,well insulated and the wiring grid around me is brand new too, so no little shorts to up electricity usage as you find in older houses apartments

I think I gave the wrong impression from my post to you. It seemed in my opinion that it was quite expensive. I don't own a property in South where I pay the elec bills so actually don't know. I wasn't questioning you, more was uttering out loud it seems expensive.

I know what the latter part of your post is like as I had a similar situation in December. My tenants in the first house I bought in Harare didn't pay the bill and it was still under my name (Bureaucracy issues in Zim that means most don't change the names on any bills including utilities and especially telephone lest you get cut off for months) - which led ZESA to come to my home and threaten to cut that off from electricity instead unless I didn't pay. Nice that they can be efficient when they want to be!!

shiftdelete Mar 20th 2008 5:33 am

ha, ha,ha- don't we love that about companies.
Truly a case where its the same the world over :rofl:

With the advanced onset of globalisation :thumbdown:, the companies will really be running the governments, if they are not already doing so in many parts of the world. Perhaps this is what Mugabe cannot accept- in his little world, the chief is the chief is the chief....

Originally Posted by Rick b (Post 6085288)
Nice that they can be efficient when they want to be!!

Daxk Mar 20th 2008 8:49 am

Mugabe and SA the chief....is the thief....thief...etc

shiftdelete Mar 20th 2008 9:21 am

In the early days Castro got rid of any resistance in the country by offering anyone who wished to leave 'safe passage' i.e. everyone opposed to his views.

He also emptied out the prisons and sent them all to the states- now thats spiteful!

Obviously then one of bob's mentors.

One concept I had not thought about was theft of ones future, of the right to belong to the country you were born in.....especially if your future was initially guaranteed by the new leader in no uncertain terms.

Anyone who trusts a black african government must have rocks in their head...truly.

Originally Posted by Daxk (Post 6087943)
Mugabe and SA the chief....is the thief....thief...etc

Juggernaut Mar 20th 2008 10:08 am

DaxK I'm all for comparing apples with apples.

Natural level ...Devaluation..cmon, dazzling us with all that gobbledy gook ! If you leave Ireland today for SA (of course not permanantly !!) with E1000 in your pocket landing in ORT Int @ R12.4 to the Euro you will get around R12400 and vise versa of course. (Dont get robbed on your way to your primary house)

So using your own example youre paying E1443 in summer and E1880 in winter.

I curently reside in a four bedroom house 3 bathrooms 365 Sqm in the north of Jozi .My electricity bill winter or summer (Three persons) is never more than R1000 .Your tenants R1850 bill is quite steep must be all those bathrooms.

A friend living just outside Belfast, Nothern Ire. Four bedrooms, 1 bathroom 230 Sqm Duplex unit - Ave central heating: 95 Pounds/m - Ave Elec. 33 pounds/m
Exchange rate-- 1pound -15.9ZAR He pays with the lowly rand - R2043

How u like them apples ?

Daxk Mar 20th 2008 10:31 am

I like them apples just fine,thanks juggernaut,if you think that 12.60 to the Euro is where it is meant to be, then fine, Somewhere on here I have the link tracking the Rand against other currencies over a 10 year period and between 6-7% devauluation a year is what its been doing.

I think the current rate is artificial and also wonder if it's helping the mines make up for a 10% loss in electricity and subsequent loss in production
I could also have compared when the ZAR was it 7.50 to the Euro when I arrived here and at that time my Electricity bill was at ZAR1500 month.
Or a year or10 back when ZAR was at a much higher rate

Yes.agreed, SA has had cheap electricity.
Yes, there were/are other forms available, Eskom kept their Tarriffs low to dissuade competitors.
Regarding your comment, not sure about Gas afik, Diesel and Paraffin(Kerosene) come from inported oil and Sasol cant produce but assume that Parliament could probably supply enough Methane to keep SA going.

Daxk Mar 20th 2008 10:34 am

Juggernaut,btw, what were your comments regarding the other link to the Cost of living in SA?

Daxk Mar 20th 2008 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Juggernaut (Post 6088154)

Natural level ...Devaluation..cmon, dazzling us with all that gobbledy gook ! If you leave Ireland today for SA (of course not permanantly !!) with E1000 in your pocket landing in ORT Int @ R12.4 to the Euro you will get around R12400 and vise versa of course. (Dont get robbed on your way to your primary house)

I curently reside in a four bedroom house 3 bathrooms 365 Sqm in the north of Jozi .My electricity bill winter or summer (Three persons) is never more than R1000 .Your tenants R1850 bill is quite steep must be all those bathrooms.

A friend living just outside Belfast, Nothern Ire. Four bedrooms, 1 bathroom 230 Sqm Duplex unit - Ave central heating: 95 Pounds/m - Ave Elec. 33 pounds/m

How u like them apples ?

Juggernaut, you really should bath more often , yes, there are three geysers in my primary home as well as underfloor heating, The electric Fence and the spotlights probably push it up too, and as soon as I have the Guard Towers with machine guns and searchlights built it will probably be more.
Thanks for the warning about being robbed on the way from OR Tambo, I see it's happening quite often to Tourists these days

Juggernaut Mar 20th 2008 12:01 pm

What ! you're not digging a moat around your premises ?? Thats madness !! Besides being all the rage in Sandton, the trendy landmines between your inner and outer fence wont even consume an iota of energy !

Ya theres a huge debate at the moment on whether or not theres a syndicate operating from the airport targeting travellers for their luggage and laptops. ACSA and the SAPS says that theres 13 Million travellers going through the airport each year and theres no proof of a syndicate . Even though there were about 400 cases reported of travellers being robbed in front of their gates after coming from ORTIA between Jan 2007 and Jan 2008.
I would prefer they say there could be a syndicate and we have a task team on it. Instead they're going with ...deny, deny, deny !

Daxk Mar 20th 2008 5:00 pm

Moat?? Naah had to fill it in, The fish were catching people, and the Wildlife conservation complained about the piranhas and the crocs, which is why there was a special on at carnivores.
landmines only work when people dont know about them and the Illegal immigrants kept on stealing them, sigh!!
What can you do??
emigrate!
Always amuses me when people in the new country think you are telling fibs ,
Chatting to a couple of the Irish version of the SAP and Traffic,asked where there is a skidpan as Ireland seem to have wet roads often.
Nope!! not one. got into a discussion on driver training, nope, nada.
The Garda do a 3 day Course and that is it for 3 years.
Try and explain that you,the wife, all your friends have done advanced driver training,anti-hijack and skidpan courses as they all brought down your insurance premiums as well as saving lives, and they sort of look sceptical.
Wonder what they would think if I told them wife is well able to handle,strip, reassemble and hit the main part of the shooting range target 90% of the time. she did'nt enjoy it, but after the first burglary which we slept through, she wanted to know how.

Daxk Mar 20th 2008 9:32 pm

Juggernaut,this is the comparison table I was talking about and if the mods will allow, as it's not news but a calculus

http://fx.sauder.ubc.ca/cgi/fxplot?b...g&a=log&m=0&x=
(Kindly Copy and Paste)

This gives the ZAR a 7% devaluation over a 12 year period.
Yes, the ZAR may never recover from it's current woes, but I believe in swings and roundabouts.
Thank you, God.

Campbells Mar 20th 2008 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Juggernaut (Post 6088154)

How u like them apples ?

Swimming pool not taken into account perhaps ?

If not , maybe they just shower more :lol::lol::lol:

Campbells Mar 20th 2008 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Juggernaut (Post 6088578)
What ! you're not digging a moat around your premises ?? Thats madness !! Besides being all the rage in Sandton, the trendy landmines between your inner and outer fence wont even consume an iota of energy !

Ya theres a huge debate at the moment on whether or not theres a syndicate operating from the airport targeting travellers for their luggage and laptops. ACSA and the SAPS says that theres 13 Million travellers going through the airport each year and theres no proof of a syndicate . Even though there were about 400 cases reported of travellers being robbed in front of their gates after coming from ORTIA between Jan 2007 and Jan 2008.
I would prefer they say there could be a syndicate and we have a task team on it. Instead they're going with ...deny, deny, deny !

I had a lot of dealings with SAA and ACSA

The amount of times SAA caught staff blatantly stealing

In many cases they couldn’t fire the staff, even with proof.

I was involved with security at the Bellview sorting office in the 90s. There were cases of blatant theft from the mail sorting bins, this was recorded on CCTV and the unions would argue the situation into such ridiculous situations the thieves were actually protected and became so cocky about their activities.

Of course these attitudes spread to the higher level crimes that involve murder & violence.

If there is not a “syndicate” operating in OR Tambo how is the info of traveller’s luggage relayed to the gangs / thugs operation outside the airport.

Maybe we westerners really don’t understand the power of these sangomas (witchdoctors ) :lol::lol::lol:

Can you just get them some muti for Eishkom