Diego Garcia

Old May 14th 2009, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Diego Garcia

That's so funny- makes me feel like reaching for a glass of wine.

Originally Posted by JR230898
You are so correct!!! I didn't just pluck that out of the air....it was on the letter from Lloyds TSB Offshore Limited sitting here in front of me...they happen to be located...on the 'Isle of Man'. How silly of me to think I could fool you with a 'pluck out of the air'.

Old May 14th 2009, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

and...a universal standard ....would be for you?
Well, Mr JR, this is an old, old argument. And I think, for starters, it's unwise to race ahead for something as grand as a "universal standard" before one has done the groundwork.

For a start, if there were a universal standard, how would you, personally, know? Or to put the same thing slightly differently, what good would a universal standard be to you, if you disagreed with it?
Old May 14th 2009, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by shiftdelete
That's so funny- makes me feel like reaching for a glass of wine.
it better be red and, if its in SA, it should be a Nederburg.
Old May 14th 2009, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pablo
Well, Mr JR, this is an old, old argument. And I think, for starters, it's unwise to race ahead for something as grand as a "universal standard" before one has done the groundwork.

For a start, if there were a universal standard, how would you, personally, know? Or to put the same thing slightly differently, what good would a universal standard be to you, if you disagreed with it?
at least it gives you a starting point for negotiation.
Old May 14th 2009, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

on that note its almost the weekend here for us- have a great weekend all- I sense in our heart of hearts we really are all on the same page, JR only just

Old May 14th 2009, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

at least it gives you a starting point for negotiation.
Not really.

I mean, as I said before:

Old May 14th 2009, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

on that note its almost the weekend here for us- have a great weekend all
You too. I meant to say how sorry I was about your friend in the Cape who was killed.
Old May 14th 2009, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pablo
Not really.

I mean, as I said before:

There will never be universal consensus. It can be agreed to disagree. To disagree may leave you outside. There is a perceived cost, or benefit, to being outside. That is a judgement call and, what will that depend on? The perception of risk.
Old May 14th 2009, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

on that note its almost the weekend here for us- have a great weekend all- I sense in our heart of hearts we really are all on the same page, JR only just
Shift, we all bleed if we are cut. Enjoy your weekend and keep safe.
Old May 14th 2009, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

There will never be universal consensus. It can be agreed to disagree. To disagree may leave you outside. There is a perceived cost, or benefit, to being outside. That is a judgement call and, what will that depend on? The perception of risk.
I agree with you that we're not going to find any universal standard of what is just and unjust by agreeing to disagree. So that rather knocks consensus on the head. What is just is perhaps not a question of consensus, which is shifting and fickle and, as you say, only ever partial.

I agree with you too that the just man does not weigh up the cost or benefit when he decides what is just. Or at least not the cost or benefit in material terms anyway. To do otherwise would surely be a vulgar error.

There is, of course, a good "judgement call" and a bad one. And so I think we can also agree, perhaps, that the man who chooses to remain "outside" does so because to be outside is, in his judgement, better than to be inside.
Old May 14th 2009, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Nederburg is always on special at the Petrol Garage here, actually burns my butt that Chilean and Californian wines are judged superior, aaah well, Garage plonk ages well in this cool climate