Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Cape town voted a top destination by travel guide!

Cape town voted a top destination by travel guide!

Old Jul 5th 2007, 3:51 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cape town voted a top destination by travel guide!

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
If anyone does visit CT then make sure you visit the Bokaap Museum. It's a brilliant insight into how apartheid wrecked people's lives.
What exactly does this have to do with the crime element? Any criticism is given a label, and that tells me exactly how you think.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 4:24 pm

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point

It would seem not everyone in CT is as comfortable with crime stats and the governments handling of things as some. Read some of the comments under the article.

http://www.news24.com/News24/MyNews2...142221,00.html
Old Jul 5th 2007, 4:42 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

I had a chuckle at the one comment of "as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle", new one to me.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 4:49 pm

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, almost shot coffee from my nose reading that.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 7:54 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Stop paying taxes en masse and we'd see how fast they'd move.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, Sandton Residents did that with the Sandton Town council over a lack of Service delivery a few years back.
Everyone paid their electricity and water element but paid the Rates side into a trust account.
"Your Honour, I'm not avoiding payment, quite happy too, have done so, here's my receipt, but the Town Council cannot access the funds till they...."
Problem is you're dealing with the one everyone fears most!! the SARS!!
No-one wants to pee them off.

The only thing our elected govt fears more than a coup is their International Image.
They do NOT want to be seen as another african state going downhill.
They saw the power of the International media against the Nats.
The Nats lost the war on Page 3 , on silly little girls at Dunnes Stores, Dublin, refusing to sell Outspan Oranges and appearing on TV,
Uncle Thabo and Uncle Joel do not want to be painted with the same brush as Mgube, Nkomo, Amin ,Obote etc....
They fear International opinion.
It took less than 20,000 Refugees to influence the West, the census says there are 841,000 odd white skilled bums missing from SA Laziboys between the last two census..

The Nats feared TV, this lot fear Bandwidth
Old Jul 5th 2007, 8:45 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Excellent last paragraph dax.

A tad too late, methinks. It's started.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:49 pm
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
What exactly does this have to do with the crime element? Any criticism is given a label, and that tells me exactly how you think.
Nothing. Note thread title. Cape town voted top tourist destination. Im discussing good places for a tourist to go. But this thread has been hijacked into a rant on crime. Of course. As has been mentioned, crime is a huge problem, OK. Everybody is in total and utter agreement. Can we move on?
Old Jul 6th 2007, 1:03 am
Nuts and Bolts

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
Nothing. Note thread title. Cape town voted top tourist destination. Im discussing good places for a tourist to go. But this thread has been hijacked into a rant on crime. Of course. As has been mentioned, crime is a huge problem, OK. Everybody is in total and utter agreement. Can we move on?
Alrighty then, we'll discuss the beautiful scenery and pretend all is hunky dory!!
Old Jul 6th 2007, 1:35 am
Account Closed

Alrighty then, we'll discuss the beautiful scenery and pretend all is hunky dory!!
Don't you just love Chapman's Peak? And the mountain when the table is laid is exquisite. Ne?
Old Jul 6th 2007, 3:42 am
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

Why pretend when as has been pointed out it is the reality of the majority. Oops here we go again...

seriously, it is a huge problem. Agreed. But shall I keep repeating myself? Let's keep the thread on track.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:00 am
Just Joined

Crownjewels is an unknown quantity at this point

Cape town is nice but I agree crime has gone up again in the latest statistics
This is puting me off visiting South Africa again.
I am really sad that crime has gone up yet again. :curse:

I hope the latest statistics on crime in South Africa is not going to scare the international tourist from coming to south africa because it really is such a beautiful country!
Old Jul 6th 2007, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

6000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Stop paying taxes en masse and we'd see how fast they'd move.
Why would anyone in SA be bothered if you stopped paying your taxes?

Another beautiful day in the Mother City today.
60% chance of rain, they say. It's lies, I tell you.
Sun is shining, the birds are singing etc etc.
It could be slightly warmer, but I guess it is winter.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 6000
[FONT=Georgia]...one must note that for every citizen who has a crime committed against him or her on any given day, there are hundreds of thousands of others who don't. Therefore, the press coverage of crime is disproportionate to the actual problem.
Your little syllogism is false. It doesn't follow that the press coverage is disproportionate because 'on any given day, there are hundreds of thousands of others' who don't have a crime committed against them.

It's like saying that the coverage of the moon landing was disproportionate because not everyone landed on the moon.

Pablo
Old Jul 6th 2007, 10:57 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but the thread was clearly alingned towards tourist attractions ... we do have a fair amount of threads pointing to the crime problems, so I guess having one discussing the countries beauty and not going into the crime problems again is acceptable isnt it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.