Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Cape town voted a top destination by travel guide!

Cape town voted a top destination by travel guide!

Old Jul 5th 2007, 11:38 am
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cape town voted a top destination by travel guide!

Originally Posted by 6000
See?
SEE?

I can look out of the window and "see" South Africa.
You?
NZ
Old Jul 5th 2007, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

6000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pablo
I think that is something of an exaggeration unless you have very good eyesight and a very high window.

Pablo
Or... I'm working in a lab in Green Point in Cape Town...
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I fully realise you're in Cape Town, but for you to claim that, because you can "see" South Africa from your window (by which, presumably, you mean you can see a bit of Green Point, or a bit of the sea) that therefore you have a better grasp of the questions being discussed is rather a sleight of hand, wouldn't you say?

And previously you have pleased to gerrymander the crime stats in order to suggest that crime in SA is somehow no worse than Helsinki, and when challenged you back down and claim that you know crime is a problem, but you have a life to live, etc.

I mean, go ahead and play rhetorical games like this if you want. But don't come out with that 'trust me I'm a scientist' guff.

Pablo
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, I fully realise you're in Cape Town, but for you to claim that, because you can "see" South Africa from your window (by which, presumably, you mean you can see a bit of Green Point, or a bit of the sea) that therefore you have a better grasp of the questions being discussed is rather a sleight of hand, wouldn't you say?

And previously you have pleased to gerrymander the crime stats in order to suggest that crime in SA is somehow no worse than Helsinki, and when challenged you back down and claim that you know crime is a problem, but you have a life to live, etc.

I mean, go ahead and play rhetorical games like this if you want. But don't come out with that 'trust me I'm a scientist' guff.

Pablo
I was amazed at the Helsinki stat too. But it came from the BBC website, no less.
I would wager that I am in a better position to comment on the issue at hand than those with their IOL news feeds and chinese whispers across the water. Simply because I see it first hand. Day in, day out.
I haven't backed down at all for the simple reason that I've mantained the same stance throughout my stay here. That is: Crime is a terrible thing, but it is blown out of all proportion on forums like this. And I think you'll find the phrase is actually "trust me, I'm a doctor" - a qualification which I am working on!
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:21 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Pablo
He cant win Pablo can he
If he posts on here that there is little crime he is attacked for it, and if he then admits that crime is an issue he is also criticised.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
He cant win Pablo can he
If he posts on here that there is little crime he is attacked for it, and if he then admits that crime is an issue he is also criticised.
In fairness, I never said that there was "little crime" - merely less than some other places.
But no - there's an answer for everything.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
He cant win Pablo can he

Point taken, but you will recall that I defended Ededed when he said that he was only commenting on his own experiences of crime in Jo'burg. I think Ededed has been more careful not to extend his own personal experiences into a depreciation of the crime others have suffered.

Pablo
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Point taken, but you will recall that I defended Ededed when he said that he was only commenting on his own experiences of crime in Jo'burg. I think Ededed has been more careful not to extend his own personal experiences into a depreciation of the crime others have suffered.

Pablo
I have not suggested, nor would I suggest that my experiences of crime depreciate in any way the feelings of those who have experienced it. Being a victim of crime is no way pleasant (having experienced it here and in the UK myself).
My comments about the crime in the area I live were based on my personal experiences and those Government figures that came out this week. I think that's reasonable.

Must I keep repeating myself? I accept that crime is a problem. I also think it is blown out of all proportion by the press and certain website (genuine or not). I don't think that helps the situation at all.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:53 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I have not suggested, nor would I suggest that my experiences of crime depreciate in any way the feelings of those who have experienced it. Being a victim of crime is no way pleasant (having experienced it here and in the UK myself).
My comments about the crime in the area I live were based on my personal experiences and those Government figures that came out this week. I think that's reasonable.

Must I keep repeating myself? I accept that crime is a problem. I also think it is blown out of all proportion by the press and certain website (genuine or not). I don't think that helps the situation at all.
And here we disagree. The press under reports crime. Therefore, how can it be blown out of proportion? 50 murders a day, thousands of rapes a day, thousands of burglaries, hijackings, etc..a day, are NOT being reported. Many don't even make it into the police statistics never mind the press pages.

Will it help you cope with the threat of crime, if it swept under the carpet and completely ignored, as has been happening for the most part, the last 13 years?
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:55 pm
NTS
NTS

NTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant future

What do you do in the lab in cape town. Are you one of the quota's of space scientists

I had a look at your web-site, which was great.

If you swapped Arctic Monkeys for the Manics, and Saints for the blades we could get on OK!
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:59 pm
NTS
NTS

NTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
And here we disagree. The press under reports crime. Therefore, how can it be blown out of proportion? 50 murders a day, thousands of rapes a day, thousands of burglaries, hijackings, etc..a day, are NOT being reported. Many don't even make it into the police statistics never mind the press pages.

Will it help you cope with the threat of crime, if it swept under the carpet and completely ignored, as has been happening for the most part, the last 13 years?
To be fair, I dont think he is saying it is not a problem, just statistically it is not likely to be you.

Which is fine, but, Personally, statistically, it is still too high for my liking so I wont extend my stay here beyond Jan08.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TouristTrap

TT - please read my posts. While not all crime is reported in the papers (yes, I'm agreeing with you AGAIN on this point), one must note that for every citizen who has a crime committed against him or her on any given day, there are hundreds of thousands of others who don't.
Therefore, the press coverage of crime is disproportionate to the actual problem. As I said, when was the last time you read a story:

Man Has Ordinary Day
Joe Bloggs went to work this morning. After a morning of meetings, he had a chicken sandwich for lunch, wrote up the Sales report and then drove home. The traffic was quite bad on the M3, which was annoying. Before dinner he went to the gym and then came back and watched a bit of tele before bed. Joe says he plans to do the same tomorrow, but may do fewer sit-ups as he was feeling "a bit sore".

And yet, for the VAST majority of people - that's exactly how life is. Although I don't go to the gym often enough.

I don't want crime swept under the carpet - I don't think you could, but I don't think that the issue is helped by over-sensationalism.

Originally Posted by NTS
What do you do in the lab in cape town. Are you one of the quota's of space scientists

I had a look at your web-site, which was great.

If you swapped Arctic Monkeys for the Manics, and Saints for the blades we could get on OK!
I'm working on TB diagnostics.
Thanks for the comments on the website - needs an update.
Maybe tonight. Maybe not.

The Arctic Monkeys are a big fave of mine too - Sheffield lad myself after all. But Blades for Saints - sorry - not going to happen - it's in the family genome!
Old Jul 5th 2007, 1:17 pm
NTS
NTS

The Arctic Monkeys are a big fave of mine too - Sheffield lad myself after all. But Blades for Saints - sorry - not going to happen - it's in the family genome!
Sheffield have some quite good bands at the moment. Different to the Arctics but have you heard Neil McSweeny & also richard hawley. Both more mellow but really good.

My sister lives in Sheffield and she gets to see all these great bands before they are famous.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 1:40 pm
NTS
NTS

Originally Posted by 6000;5012677
[FONT=Georgia
I'm working on TB diagnostics. [/FONT]
Thanks for the comments on the website - needs an update.
Maybe tonight. Maybe not.

Actually, Saints play Sheffield united in the last game of the season. Could be an interesting one if we both do well. or could be a 'who cares' mid table last game of the season. I set my football sights low, so I won't be disappointed
Old Jul 5th 2007, 3:08 pm

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Kitten24,
My hart goes out to you. Best wishes to you and family.

I was referring to 80safrkan. He/she had no constructive points to make if any at all. Just trying to get a rise out of people. A he/she is not around any more why waist the time talks about them. Like I said in any earlier post I didn’t have a negative thing to say about CT, with the exception that it didn’t feel very African.
On the surfing topic, is the Red Bull big surf contest going on now in Jbay? I thought it was in June/July? You want scary paddle in to one of those giants. Any of you guy/galls have a Baron (Stander) board? I lucked out and got a 9’6” beauty from baron himself before he passed last year. I believe it’s the last board he made. Any one who is going to Durbs should check out The Time warp Surfing Museum. http://www.timewarpsurfingmuseum.com/ It’s the thing a surfers dreams are made of. (Long boarders anyway)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.