Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Cape town voted a top destination by travel guide!

Cape town voted a top destination by travel guide!

Old Jun 30th 2007, 11:14 am
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of
Default Cape town voted a top destination by travel guide!

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/worldgui...rica/cape-town

check out the link. It's one of the world's best cities.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cape town voted a top destination by travel guide!

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/worldgui...rica/cape-town

check out the link. It's one of the world's best cities.

Gosh, I think I'll emigrate.

Pablo
Old Jun 30th 2007, 4:20 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Cape Town is exquisite, was always my favourite part of S.A. Just leave your jewelery/watches/cameras/other valuables at home. Warning on the table mountain hike is to either wear a moon bag (whatever that is) under your clothing or, better yet, bury your car keys somewhere so they don't nab them and take off with your car. http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?s...0413641C536623 I am aware that it is an ongoing problem. ( Fam in security business there.) It would be hilarious watching all those people digging around in the dirt afterwards trying to find their keys never knowing whether they forgot where they buried them or if they were swiped. Seriously though, the Cape is beautiful as long as you are smart about not revealing the obvious signs of a tourist. They'll have you for lunch. *chomp chomp*
Old Jul 1st 2007, 12:58 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
Cape Town is exquisite, was always my favourite part of S.A. Just leave your jewelery/watches/cameras/other valuables at home. Warning on the table mountain hike is to either wear a moon bag (whatever that is) under your clothing or, better yet, bury your car keys somewhere so they don't nab them and take off with your car. http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?s...0413641C536623 I am aware that it is an ongoing problem. ( Fam in security business there.) It would be hilarious watching all those people digging around in the dirt afterwards trying to find their keys never knowing whether they forgot where they buried them or if they were swiped. Seriously though, the Cape is beautiful as long as you are smart about not revealing the obvious signs of a tourist. They'll have you for lunch. *chomp chomp*
Old Jul 1st 2007, 12:15 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to mention that nothing finishes off a lovely day of sightseeing like a candle lit dinner. Die kak, hy kom.......http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?s...4615162C576623
Old Jul 1st 2007, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I forgot to mention that nothing finishes off a lovely day of sightseeing like a candle lit dinner. Die kak, hy kom.......http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?s...4615162C576623
I don't think they'll notice.

Wat 'n gemors!
Old Jul 1st 2007, 6:28 pm
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

The power in the bundu used to go off every time there was a storm, so not much changes!!
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 2:48 pm

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point

CT is a beautiful place indeed. Don’t know perhaps I was just lucky but, I never experienced a single bad thing while there. Now yes it was on holiday and I have never lived there but I found it to be just great. That being said I’m sure it has its issues when you live there. CT seems to be the least “African” of the cities in SA in my opinion. Not sure what it is exactly but it just doesn’t feel the same as Durbs or Pretoria. Maybe it’s just me.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hatfield1
CT is a beautiful place indeed. Don’t know perhaps I was just lucky but, I never experienced a single bad thing while there. Now yes it was on holiday and I have never lived there but I found it to be just great. That being said I’m sure it has its issues when you live there. CT seems to be the least “African” of the cities in SA in my opinion. Not sure what it is exactly but it just doesn’t feel the same as Durbs or Pretoria. Maybe it’s just me.
I agree with you on this, Hatfield. Your typical tourist to CT is unlikely to experience trouble, provided he takes a few sensible precautions (as have been discussed many times in this forum).

I think the main reason people chip in and warn potential tourists is that, in Europe, CT is marketed as just another sunny destination, like Nice or Monaco or the Costa del Sol. The dangers are not alluded to, or, if they are, they are downplayed.

The media in, say, the UK, is very keen to play *up* the dangers of guncrime for tourist visitors to places like Florida in the USA, because that fits in with the media's agenda of portraying the US as a barbarous gun-toting place.

But the media's agenda as far as SA is concerned is to portray it as a wonderful safe trouble-free place, now that the evil of apartheid is over and everyone is free and happy and living in multi-culti rainbow heaven.

Furthermore, a holidaymaker's experiences are not really a guide for what it would be like to emigrate to that destination - and this is true for any destination you care to think of. It is obvious when you think about it. But far too many people fall into this trap.

There are some dangers in the Cape. They are not huge. They are usually avoidable. Cape Town is so reminiscent of some nice parts of Europe that the European traveller can easlily be lulled into a false sense of security.

Pablo
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 4:08 pm
Nuts and Bolts

I am happy to hear you had a positive experience there. Still think it is one of the most beautiful places in the world and have always said so. It is unfortunate that much of what is happening is under the radar and will ultimately hurt any tourist destination, never mind the rest of the country should they not get a handle on the issues that need to be addressed. Nothing will make me happier than to see the place prosper for all her citizenry. I've seen this pattern of behaviour before though and that is rather distressing. I would love to be proven wrong.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

Irelandexile has a brilliant futureIrelandexile has a brilliant futureIrelandexile has a brilliant futureIrelandexile has a brilliant futureIrelandexile has a brilliant futureIrelandexile has a brilliant future

I am happy to hear you had a positive experience there. Still think it is one of the most beautiful places in the world and have always said so. It is unfortunate that much of what is happening is under the radar and will ultimately hurt any tourist destination, never mind the rest of the country should they not get a handle on the issues that need to be addressed. Nothing will make me happier than to see the place prosper for all her citizenry. I've seen this pattern of behaviour before though and that is rather distressing. I would love to be proven wrong.
This was in Todays news regarding the murder of yet another child in the Cape, 2 year old Sonja Brown:

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_A...140422,00.html

Dr Johan Burger, former police commissioner and senior researcher at the Institute for Security Studies, said it appeared from media reports that this type of crime was becoming a major problem, particularly in the Western Cape.

Joan van Niekerk, national co-ordinator of Childline, said research showed that Cape Town was the most dangerous city in South Africa for a child to live in.

Any of the positive posters that think that the Cape is a safe option should think again. It might have lower hijacking or armed robbery stats , but it has its own issues too.
I wonder what the latest crime stats will show, or will they be "doctored" to give a positive impression, or am I being too cynical??
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 3:02 pm
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irelandexile
....Joan van Niekerk, national co-ordinator of Childline, said research showed that Cape Town was the most dangerous city in South Africa for a child to live in.
This is probably due in large part to the popularity of Tik [crystal meth] abuse in CT.

http://www.health24.com/child/Abuse/833-859,28041.asp

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?s...2318578C733054

Last edited by 1066; Jul 3rd 2007 at 3:06 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 3:49 pm
Banned

80safrikan will become famous soon enough80safrikan will become famous soon enough

I thought this thread was about SA being a great travel destination, which it is !!

How does it involve you bitter expats at all......... you say you are so active in South African affairs because you care about the country (bullisht) but thats fine please explain why you now feel the need to discredite what lonley planet guide has said about SA as a tourist destination....

How can this affect SA at all......... I dont understand ? is it perhaps you HATE to see this country succeed in anything ? You hate a black government and you hate anything to be going well in SA... ?

I have said it before, none of you were activly involved with South African affairs when the old regime was in power, very interesting to see you all so active now.......

please dont come back, EVEN for a holiday
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 3:53 pm

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point

DON’T FEED THE TROLLS:curse:
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 4:02 pm
Banned

80safrikan will become famous soon enough80safrikan will become famous soon enough

DON’T FEED THE TROLLS:curse:

yawn.......... so anybody who doesnt tow the line is a troll around here ?

did you even read what I said ? mayby I have a point ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.