Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Cape Town - places to avoid??

Cape Town - places to avoid??

Old Feb 25th 2007, 5:27 am
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cape Town - places to avoid??

Originally Posted by Caroline G
My husband, myself and our 3 year old (at the time) holidayed in Cape Town last year. We didn't walk around late at night, hired a car and did the touristy things and stuck to the touristy areas.

I was advised that if rocks are thrown at the car driving from the airport to Cape Town to keep on driving. Also, we weren't told that people would be hanging around the car parking areas expecting a bit of change for looking after the car.

Whilst walking around the city centre in the day. We strolled near the railway station. I didn't like that area very much at all and didn't feel safe so we walked away from there asap.

Flew to Jo'burg which I was apprehensive about so I hired a tour guide (Cecil, Climax Tours through an Official SA Tourist Website) He met us at the airport and drove us to our accommodation, Safari etc. He was excellent and I felt much safer having a SA with us who knows the way of things there.
Hi Caroline,

Thanks for sharing your experience
Old Feb 25th 2007, 6:32 am
Just Joined

pipewood is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Cape Town - places to avoid??

Addo elephant park is just outside port elizabeth +- 750 km/470 miles north of cape town on the east coast.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 8:02 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The government

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
Wrong on many counts! I look like one of the girls from the Corrs ... so you're pretty close.
Yeah, whatever……….

Where do I start with you .. mmm you are a Scot (dare I use the word boring here),?
Sure, you assume so much else, why not?

(J'Burg for the readers benefit) and now continues to spread his hatred of the country across many forums whilst running security checks on anyone that begs to differ with his opinion. Maybe I could help you get over your issues?????
WRONG:
I have said and will continue to do so – that I “LOVE “ South Africa just the mindless violent crimes are ruining the place and was the main motivation for us to leave there. Of course that is not just my opinion.

BAD SA EXPERIENCE:
Correct, I was help up at gun-point after which this boring family to moved to CT and lived in Cape Town for a year as we ( too) had heard that CT offered a less violent climate than Jhb. After the birth of our son ( totally boring and of course he doesn’t resemble any celebrity) we decided that leaving SA is best for the family. NOT JUST my opinion. But I guess family life is boring too ….

SECURITY CHECKS:
Now who is paranoid ? I asked you a couple of questions on this thread and you ignored them so I had a look at your previous posts. The ones you deny writing.

OPINIONS:
Sorry I forgot - this is your thread !

HELP:
Once again I thought the topic of this thread was you asking for help but in your very educated and highly qualified opinion feel I have issues that need help. Sorry I don’t do chemicals.

I understand to you that may sound boring but that is just me. A family man that runs his own business and takes on the adventure of moving country for a safer life for the family.

You are going to fit right in over in SA. In fact with your , everyone is entitled to your opinion attitude you should be working for the government there.

Personally I don’t care too much for the cover of the book it is what is inside that matters. Boring ………………………
Old Feb 25th 2007, 8:13 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dirk1971
Ive been to CT three times, walked up Table Mountain alone, walked around the cbd at night alone, walked everywhere, and never had any problems. Must have been one of the lucky ones eh?

Hi Dirk,

I see you are in NZ. How long you been over here mate ?

Cheers
Old Feb 27th 2007, 6:01 am
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear, are you cross with me?

I know you have ample mud in NZ but don't start slinging it in my direction.

Maybe if some of your threads weren’t quite so antagonistic you may have a better chance of getting your point across.

I sincerely apologise for not answering your questions ... I'm flattered that you trawled your way back through a year's worth of my posts. I won't bother quoting any of yours here .. if people want to read them, they can help themselves.

Now I'm off to watch paint dry.

Be good.

Originally Posted by Campbells
Yeah, whatever……….

Sure, you assume so much else, why not?

WRONG:
I have said and will continue to do so – that I “LOVE “ South Africa just the mindless violent crimes are ruining the place and was the main motivation for us to leave there. Of course that is not just my opinion.

BAD SA EXPERIENCE:
Correct, I was help up at gun-point after which this boring family to moved to CT and lived in Cape Town for a year as we ( too) had heard that CT offered a less violent climate than Jhb. After the birth of our son ( totally boring and of course he doesn’t resemble any celebrity) we decided that leaving SA is best for the family. NOT JUST my opinion. But I guess family life is boring too ….

SECURITY CHECKS:
Now who is paranoid ? I asked you a couple of questions on this thread and you ignored them so I had a look at your previous posts. The ones you deny writing.

OPINIONS:
Sorry I forgot - this is your thread !

HELP:
Once again I thought the topic of this thread was you asking for help but in your very educated and highly qualified opinion feel I have issues that need help. Sorry I don’t do chemicals.

I understand to you that may sound boring but that is just me. A family man that runs his own business and takes on the adventure of moving country for a safer life for the family.

You are going to fit right in over in SA. In fact with your , everyone is entitled to your opinion attitude you should be working for the government there.

Personally I don’t care too much for the cover of the book it is what is inside that matters. Boring ………………………
Old Feb 27th 2007, 2:34 pm
Banned

Douglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really nice

Oh dear, are you cross with me?

I know you have ample mud in NZ but don't start slinging it in my direction.

Maybe if some of your threads weren’t quite so antagonistic you may have a better chance of getting your point across.

I sincerely apologise for not answering your questions ... I'm flattered that you trawled your way back through a year's worth of my posts. I won't bother quoting any of yours here .. if people want to read them, they can help themselves.

Now I'm off to watch paint dry.

Be good.
Why doesnt that suprise me,what purpose would an Irishman have in going to South Africa,from of all places the middle east,looking for trouble maybe,the bhoys still need to sell some gear do they,miss eck.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 3:33 pm
Pog mo thoin

Originally Posted by Douglas jack
Why doesnt that suprise me,what purpose would an Irishman have in going to South Africa,from of all places the middle east,looking for trouble maybe,the bhoys still need to sell some gear do they,miss eck.
Is this a riddle? Or perhaps a Limerick?
Old Feb 27th 2007, 6:25 pm
Banned

Default RE: People of the Irish Boglands

Is this a riddle? Or perhaps a Limerick?
Hey, pssst, over here.
You know where the nickname for a toilet “bog” got it’s name from?

People of the Irish Boglands:
For thousands of years the bogs, through their extraordinary preservative qualities have kept ancient remains intact that would have otherwise perished on dry land; such as the bodies of unwary travellers trapped in the bog, or prehistoric track ways; and sometimes even whole villages and farms.

You were saying something about mud

Probably wasn't you that said that......
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

CampbellS,

Your posts are becoming increasingly ugly. Let the poor girl go to Cape Town for her holiday, for Christ's sake. Thousands do. Chances are she'll be fine.

Pablo
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:46 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Pablo
CampbellS,

Your posts are becoming increasingly ugly. Let the poor girl go to Cape Town for her holiday, for Christ's sake. Thousands do. Chances are she'll be fine.

Pablo
Hi Pablo,

Thanks for your opinion mate. Although you may feel my posts are getting ugly
You may want to know that this type of “real” information has offered one particular person to change their mind about moving to SA and another to make the decision to move out.

These are people on this very forum who have sent me PMs to thank for the “honesty” which in many times is seen as brutal truth.

Whilst I hear and appreciate your input I will continue to post the truth about South Africa at the risk of upsetting people. I did post the complaint from the HCR site here but to-date had no moderator from BE send such.

I honestly believe that South Africa can change for the better but what it needs IS more people to speak out not shut up. The situation of SA is way beyond ugly.

How does it go – the sin of silence?

Cheers
Old Feb 28th 2007, 11:50 am
Pog mo thoin

Default Re: People of the Irish Boglands

Hey, pssst, over here.

For thousands of years the bogs, through their extraordinary preservative qualities have kept ancient remains intact that would have otherwise perished on dry land; such as the bodies of unwary travellers trapped in the bog, or prehistoric track ways; and sometimes even whole villages and farms.

Mmmm ... campbells ... anything to do with the soup? (personally I find it bland, thick and very inconsistent). ... oops, forgot my smileys ... you can add them in when you requote
Old Feb 28th 2007, 11:51 am
Pog mo thoin

Originally Posted by Pablo
CampbellS,

Pablo

Thanks Pablo
Old Feb 28th 2007, 11:53 am
Pog mo thoin

Hey, pssst, over here.

Just for you ...

A Scotsman is working at a sewerage. It's a warm day, so he takes off his jacket and drapes it over a handrail - where it slips off into a vast tank of poo!

He's just about to dive in when his mate shouts "It's nae guid tae do that, the jacket's ruined"

He replies "Aye, ah ken, but ma sandwiches are in the pocket"
Old Mar 1st 2007, 1:39 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Just for you ...

A Scotsman is working at a sewerage. It's a warm day, so he takes off his jacket and drapes it over a handrail - where it slips off into a vast tank of poo!

He's just about to dive in when his mate shouts "It's nae guid tae do that, the jacket's ruined"

He replies "Aye, ah ken, but ma sandwiches are in the pocket"
Very good!!!!!

Campbell ou pel. Time you fell off the soapbox. Go have yourself a very lekker dop and chill.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 4:02 am
Banned

Mmmm ... campbells ... anything to do with the soup? (personally I find it bland, thick and very inconsistent). ... oops, forgot my smileys ... you can add them in when you requote
I’m flattered Ms Eck,

You have gone through my posts and that one was about two years ago.

Really flattered

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.