Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Cape Town - places to avoid??

Cape Town - places to avoid??

Old Jan 1st 2007, 8:20 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cape Town - places to avoid??

I am going on holiday to Cape Town in March and would like to know what places I should avoid. I am planning on staying in Blouberg. Is is safe there?

Thanks in advance for any tips
Old Jan 4th 2007, 6:32 am
Banned

Dirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to all
Default Re: Cape Town - places to avoid??

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
I am going on holiday to Cape Town in March and would like to know what places I should avoid. I am planning on staying in Blouberg. Is is safe there?

Thanks in advance for any tips
Blouberg is great. Head down to the beach and hire a surf board. It's close enough to quite a lot of different places in CT. Get on the train and you're in the CBD in no time. Cape Town in general is safe. Just don't go around with a map and a gormless expression and you'll be fine. Take care at night if you're by yourself in the cbd. Good luck.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 6:58 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for tips. I looked through other posts and someone suggested dressing like you buy your clothes from a 2nd hand shop. If only there was an Oxfam in Dubai!
Old Jan 4th 2007, 8:15 pm
Banned

Dirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to all

Thanks for tips. I looked through other posts and someone suggested dressing like you buy your clothes from a 2nd hand shop. If only there was an Oxfam in Dubai!
Good advice to try and blend in. I wouldn't walk about with lots of expensive jewellry. The first time I went to CT alone, I was worried about getting my camera out, and I took my watch off. But after that, I realised I was being overly paranoid. There are things to avoid in CT; like I wouldn't recomend walking around the cbd at night alone, going into the townships alone. Just common sense stuff really. If a beggar asks for money don't say 'NO' it just encourages them. Totally ignore them like the locals do.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 1:17 am
Just Joined

Scatterling will become famous soon enoughScatterling will become famous soon enough

Hi there. Prior to coming to Australia we lived in Cape Town for 10 years - just like any big city there are places that you wouldn't go, but in general you just need to ensure that you are not an obvious tourist. Also, keep your bags and stuff on your person - don't leave them next to you in restaurants etc.

When you are in the City centre itself, just act normal. As a woman I have no fear walking around Cape Town city during the day. At night very little happens in the city itself, so you probably wouldn't even be there. If you are in the restauranty areas like Kloof Street at night just be vigilant for beggars.

Blouberg is a main residential area and holiday venue - your biggest problem there will be wind.

Shopping Centres like the Waterfront, Tygervalley, Canal Walk etc are fab, and cheap if you are travelling in pounds.

You will be fine, and I suspect pleasantly surprised. You will encounter loads of beggars (it is Africa after all) but I am generally just polite and treat them with dignity and they do not hassle you.

I hope you end up loving it as much as I do - I pine for it every day since landing in Sydney. Have a wonderful time and don't forget to taste some of the beautiful Cape wines!

S
Old Jan 5th 2007, 1:21 am
Just Joined

Scatterling will become famous soon enoughScatterling will become famous soon enough

Sorry - I forgot to say - that stuff about second hand clothes has me puzzled. South Africans are generally well dressed (better than the Aussies I have to say) and you definitely don't have to aim for a downtrodden look.

I would wear jeans, t-shirts, cargo's, skirts, shorts etc just like anywhere else in the world. The young Cape coloured population are very label conscious and tend to be great dressers.

So just be yourself. Unless yourself is usually decked out in loads of diamonds and gold chains....

Regards
S
Old Jan 5th 2007, 2:58 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

That's true. We used to dress up for going to the shops. Have to remember to do it whenever I'm back there as we now live in Florida, where it is more like living on the South Coast - very casual!!!
Old Jan 5th 2007, 5:48 pm
Pog mo thoin

Thanks everyone for all the tips. It has certainly put my mind at ease.

Thanks for the info on the malls Scatterling.

Very excited about my trip as Cape Town looks so beautiful.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

funkyskunky is an unknown quantity at this point

i am going to Camps Bay in February...is is ok there?
Old Jan 14th 2007, 7:15 pm
Pog mo thoin

Is is supposedly very nice there ... it's where all the celebs hang out. Looks like great beaches and great scenery.

Will you post some feedback on here after your trip please?

I've done quite a bit of research on places to visit so shout if you want any tips.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

"O.K." ?
For what ?
Old Jan 14th 2007, 7:53 pm
Pog mo thoin

I think ok means safe
Old Jan 14th 2007, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Perhaps you could also visit:
www.news24.com ,
to find out "where in RSA is safe" , nowadays ?
Old Jan 14th 2007, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

funkyskunky is an unknown quantity at this point

Is is supposedly very nice there ... it's where all the celebs hang out. Looks like great beaches and great scenery.

Will you post some feedback on here after your trip please?

I've done quite a bit of research on places to visit so shout if you want any tips.
I will indeed let you know!!

I mean OK, as in safe.

What places to go , not to go?

I do look at news24 to see how things are going, what is happening and how the weather is.....
Old Jan 15th 2007, 5:16 pm
Pog mo thoin

A good friend of mine is from Cape Town and was back there recently and said she felt perfectly safe. People have given me the following tips:

Don't go out on your own at night (best in a group)
Keep your car doors locked (even in daytime)
Ignore the beggers

As for things to do, here is a list.

Table mountain, up the cable car or hike it.
Cape Point going via Chapmans' Peak Drive, returning via Boulders beach, see the penguins.
Clifton Beach - beautiful white sands
Robben Island - SA’s history
A day visit to the winelands ending up in Franschoek - highly recommended Boschendal wine Estate -excellent restaurant or Picnique lunch (excellent value for money), in beautiful surroundings. Should be exquisite autumn colours.

Drive from Cape Town to the Garden Route, via Route 62 - very scenic, (winelands, Cango Caves, beautiful mountains en route)
Stay in beautiful Plettenberg Bay - the jewel of the Garden Route with its magnificent mountain ranges and pristine beaches and warm sea. From Plettenberg Bay, you can do several outings to Tsitsikama National Park, Nature's Valley, Knysna etc. Also great walking on beautiful Robberg Nature Reserve.

If you are just confined to Cape Town, you can do a safari here http://www.aquilasafari.com/

Otherwise have a look at www.go2africa.com

Other things:

Do a three day safari to the wonderful Addo Elephant Park which has the Big 5 (not sure where this place is in SA).

Have a great time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.