Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Cape Town - places to avoid??

Cape Town - places to avoid??

Old Jan 15th 2007, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

rogoff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cape Town - places to avoid??

Originally Posted by funkyskunky
i am going to Camps Bay in February...is is ok there?
camps bay is one of the most beautiful places on earth and, in my opinion, perfectly safe
Old Jan 15th 2007, 10:42 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
Table mountain, up the cable car or hike it.
Would not recommend hiking up Table Mountain. There have been too many robberies and attacks on tourists of late, and they were in groups. Better to have a large group if at all. Enjoy and keep safe.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Some "enjoyment" , indeed !
Looking over your shoulder at all times , thinking of where or when the mugging , car-jacking , gang-rape or murder could happen next...
Holding thumbs that it won't be you , not this time....
( Could be worth : some more thought ? )
Old Jan 16th 2007, 5:10 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

I have no intention of hiking up the mountain .. takes far too long! Will def get the cable car. Thanks for the info.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 1:03 am
Just Joined

krishna99 is an unknown quantity at this point

is cape town is safer than JHB ?
Old Jan 17th 2007, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

I was quite surprised to see this today:

Western Cape ranked SA's top danger zone
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_i...2305593C461053
Old Jan 17th 2007, 6:22 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Why, I wonder, do people bother to ask for advice when they really have no intention of heeding any of itt?

Tourists who have spent a week or two in the country are obviously more knowledgeable about the dangers than some of us who spent 30 plus years there......<sarcasm>

Luma, hope you've settled in okay Naysayers will state that the Cape is pretty safe - that the stats only refer to the Cape Flats
Old Jan 20th 2007, 10:58 pm
Banned

Dirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Why, I wonder, do people bother to ask for advice when they really have no intention of heeding any of itt?

Tourists who have spent a week or two in the country are obviously more knowledgeable about the dangers than some of us who spent 30 plus years there......<sarcasm>

Luma, hope you've settled in okay Naysayers will state that the Cape is pretty safe - that the stats only refer to the Cape Flats
Ive been to CT three times, walked up Table Mountain alone, walked around the cbd at night alone, walked everywhere, and never had any problems. Must have been one of the lucky ones eh?
Old Jan 20th 2007, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

One's luck can/does change , sometimes...
Old Jan 21st 2007, 12:43 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dirk1971
Ive been to CT three times, walked up Table Mountain alone, walked around the cbd at night alone, walked everywhere, and never had any problems. Must have been one of the lucky ones eh?
I'm speechless at the utter stupidity of the above statement.........
Old Jan 21st 2007, 5:57 am
Banned

Dirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to all

I'm speechless at the utter stupidity of the above statement.........
Good.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 4:28 am
Account Closed

Oh, very mature.......

It was still a dumb answer. It is considered one of the most dangerous cities in the world, with many attacks on tourists on the mountain lately, plus patrons of upmarket restaurants being held up at gunpoint whilst they were enjoying their meals. To state that because nothing happened to you that it is safe defies description.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 10:05 am
Banned

Oh, very mature.......

It was still a dumb answer. It is considered one of the most dangerous cities in the world, with many attacks on tourists on the mountain lately, plus patrons of upmarket restaurants being held up at gunpoint whilst they were enjoying their meals. To state that because nothing happened to you that it is safe defies description.
Well should I say it was unsafe for me?
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 5:25 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

TT - can you stop having a spat on my thread please

As for not heeding things, well I hope that wasn't directed at me!

I have friends that have lived in Cape Town for a large part of their life and they have never had any problems so Dirk is not alone. They don't see why I have some apprehensions but maybe it is because they are used to living their life a certain way.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 5:55 pm
Account Closed

Since when is it your thread.......it is a public forum.

The problem with the crime in S.A. as opposed to first world countries that most international visitors will have come from, is that it is random and can strike anywhere at any time day or night. You cannot advise people on avoiding 'hotspots' as you can in most countries, because the entire country is a hotspot. Yes, many tourists do visit the country and nothing happens to them, but the chances of you being murdered, raped, knifed, mugged is much higher there than in most countries.

Those who live there are used to living at 'full alert'. Their 'security antennae' are always operational. Unfortunately, most visitors don't have the need for such, and are not.

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?s...0520571C598708

Note how the staff pretended to be shocked, knowing full well that this has been happening there for years..........the S.A. tourist industry has a policy of not warning tourists of the real dangers because that will frighten them away.

I'm just fed up with so many who have posted here and elsewhere asking about the crime situation, and then turn around and downplay it, stating that their friends have just come back and nothing happened to them, or give the impression that you are not in huge personal danger when you go to S.A. because nothing has happened to them on their trips. We see it time and time again, and it gets tedious after a time. People will do whatever the heck they want anyway, regardless of the advice they get on this or any other faceless forum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.