Brit attacked in S.A.

Old Mar 21st 2008, 9:58 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Brit attacked in S.A.

Originally Posted by Rick b
I don't think anyone could be offended by your post.

In case no-one had pointed it out there are posters on the forum with different viewpoints. A couple are reasonably positive about South Africa and although see the negatives believe the positives out weigh them. Another group are negative about the country and although acknowledge the positives believe the negatives out weigh them.

I think everyone will agree thats about as diplomatically put as possible!!

Me - I wouldn't live in South Africa. I believe (partly from news sources but more so from people I know) that the levels of crime would seriously impact on the freedoms I have. I don't particularly want to be looking over my shoulder every minute.

I prefer to live in a place that although far more ****ed politically and economically, is actually pretty crime free and for everyday life is relatively safe.
London is not that bad
Old Mar 21st 2008, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Rick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really nice

Originally Posted by Campbells
London is not that bad
Sorry chum, not going to rise to your games. But if you want a discussion on how Labour has ruined Britain, I'm more than happy to have it.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 10:38 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Sorry chum, not going to rise to your games. But if you want a discussion on how Labour has ruined Britain, I'm more than happy to have it.
Sure Rick,

I am happy to do that, I suggest on the returning to UK forum as the mods here will think it off topic

Just give the nod & I will start the thread
Old Mar 21st 2008, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Rick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really nice

Sure Rick,

I am happy to do that, I suggest on the returning to UK forum as the mods here will think it off topic

Just give the nod & I will start the thread
Ive never posted on that forum, but start the thread and I'll be there.

Back to the subject of crime in South Africa, which this thread is about - I saw a report yesterday forwarded by a friend of mine who lives in Durban.

He had overheard something similar amongst a group of pupils but hadn't realised the extent of it until he read the article.

Justice, death penalty and prison are all useless if there is not immediate action to educate kids like this.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/03/...efssafrica.php
Old Mar 21st 2008, 7:55 pm
Banned

Back to the subject of crime in South Africa, which this thread is about - I saw a report yesterday forwarded by a friend of mine who lives in Durban.

He had overheard something similar amongst a group of pupils but hadn't realised the extent of it until he read the article.

Justice, death penalty and prison are all useless if there is not immediate action to educate kids like this.

Ahem - moderators .......

No link posting please
Old Mar 21st 2008, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Campbell, I have no fish to ry,but sometimes I think you are going to force the closure of this forum.
Not an attack bud, just think you sometimes find a hole in a dutch Dyke and instead of plugging it, you drag a Koevoet across and make it bigger.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 8:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Daxk
Campbell, I have no fish to ry,but sometimes I think you are going to force the closure of this forum.
Not an attack bud, just think you sometimes find a hole in a dutch Dyke and instead of plugging it, you drag a Koevoet across and make it bigger.

Hey Daxk,

No I really don’t think so . I have previously been banned from this forum by Sue for posting links.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=523029

Three different moderators yesterday on that thread.

So if anything I think they will ban me from the forum.

Shutting it down would be an extreme control measure.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 11:38 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Ahem - moderators .......

No link posting please
Rich coming from you!
I think he's using it to illustrate a point as opposed to opening every single thread with a newslink which is what was happening

Do you want to get back on topic now?

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Mar 21st 2008 at 11:41 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 11:47 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Rich coming from you!
I think he's using it to illustrate a point as opposed to opening every single thread with a newslink which is what was happening

Do you want to get back on topic now?

PLEASE

Can you point me to the rules of where & when I can use links ?

Mitzy, I think you and the other mods are exaggerating somewhat by saying I start
every” thread with a newslink.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 11:49 pm
Banned

The thread is there Rick,

Let discuss
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:34 am
Just Joined

dinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant future
Red face Re: Brit attacked in S.A.

Only for the Victims
HI there all,
Its a long time since I was on the forum but need some advice. My daughter is going to Dinwiddie in March 2009 (catching up with friends etc) she goes every 2 years (born there but we left 10 years ago). The thing is ,she is now an avid cyclist as she does triathlons and half marathons here in England and she wants to take her bike with and continue her training in and around the streets of Germiston. I am very concerned and think she is being silly and unwise (especially having grown up in Sa and knowing the situation) but am i being overly cautious and paranoid or is if ok to go out alone on a racing bike during the day, looking for some words of wisdom especially from ous still in the Gauteng area.!!!!
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Devonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really nice

Originally Posted by dinwiddie98
HI there all,
Its a long time since I was on the forum but need some advice. My daughter is going to Dinwiddie in March 2009 (catching up with friends etc) she goes every 2 years (born there but we left 10 years ago). The thing is ,she is now an avid cyclist as she does triathlons and half marathons here in England and she wants to take her bike with and continue her training in and around the streets of Germiston. I am very concerned and think she is being silly and unwise (especially having grown up in Sa and knowing the situation) but am i being overly cautious and paranoid or is if ok to go out alone on a racing bike during the day, looking for some words of wisdom especially from ous still in the Gauteng area.!!!!
Hi there,

Well I am from SA myself - now living in the UK! We were in SA for a few weeks 18mths ago!!! Even with my other half and son - I did not feel safe at all there - and that was in a Car - and yes thats from a person who "Faces reality". Alot of people say "Oh no it's not that bad - but thats because they seem to think life is like that everywhere" - well we know it isnt.

I don't think you are being overly cautious or paranoid at all. I personally, as a 35yr old Woman and Mother think your daughter is crazy to think she can just cycle around the streets in SA like that - NO WAY!!! I sure as hell wouldn't - really really taking a chance there - don't blame you for being so worried.

I wouldn't sleep at night if my daughter went ahead and did that - I'd really be worried about her safety! Good luck and wishing her a safe trip!
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

why does't she/you contact cycling clubs in the area and ask people who are currently doing it wether its safe or not?
Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Devonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really nice

why does't she/you contact cycling clubs in the area and ask people who are currently doing it wether its safe or not?
Yep "Daxk" is right - because there ARE avid cyclists out there - but if they cycled on the local roads they'd probably be taken out by the Taxi's or something.

It's just a matter of finding a website and contact details!
Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:29 am
Just Joined

dinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant future

Good idea Daxk,
I will try and google a cycle club around the area of Germiston and see what they come back with> Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.