Brit attacked in S.A.

Old Jan 8th 2008, 4:01 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice
Default Brit attacked in S.A.

I don't know if anyone of you has seen this news story.

They lived in the wealthiest suburb of Pretoria with the best security that money could buy. Tragedy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1811
Old Jan 8th 2008, 8:20 am
Banned

guest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really nice
Default Re: Brit attacked in S.A.

Originally Posted by Redlippie

They lived in the wealthiest suburb of Pretoria with the best security that money could buy. Tragedy.

Have they got the death penalty still?
Old Jan 8th 2008, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Only for the Victims
Old Jan 8th 2008, 11:00 am
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

It hardly warrants a mention these days. A tragedy for the wife and children, though
Old Jan 8th 2008, 11:18 am

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

I read that this morning .... so sad. Whats even sadder is that we only hear about this because he's a wealthy Brit - just imagine how many SA's have this happen to them that we dont hear about
Old Jan 8th 2008, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, truly appalling.

Robin Guy (75) was shot and killed during a residential robbery in Bryanston, not far from where I live, last Wednesday. The gang took a handbag which was recovered nearby. This did get into the press, because he was well known in birding and conservation circles.

A friend of mine was murdered about two months ago when he stopped for petrol on a Friday night. This just happened to concide with a robbery at the petrol station. A colleague and his family, including two children and a toddler, were confronted by a man at a holiday resort in the bush a few days before Christmas. He had a pistol and threatened "to kill you all". This one ended in a fight and two shots fired, but no-one was badly hurt (physically). I can validate both incidents personally, these are not second or third hand stories.

FWIW, a 7ft wall and an electric fence is not a serious barrier. I'm sure a wealthy businessman had further layers of security in place. Motorised gates, CCTV, security gates, burglar bars, external/internal alarms and, sometimes, guards are pretty standard if you can afford it.

Why do I stay? Goodness knows. My wife lives in Scotland most of the time, but I'm still here and my children (grown up) have no intention of leaving, for the time being anyway. Africa seeps into you, and I don't want to go either. This might sound completely crazy, but there's just too much I love about it.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 8:18 pm

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MartynK
Yes, truly appalling.

Robin Guy (75) was shot and killed during a residential robbery in Bryanston, not far from where I live, last Wednesday. The gang took a handbag which was recovered nearby. This did get into the press, because he was well known in birding and conservation circles.

A friend of mine was murdered about two months ago when he stopped for petrol on a Friday night. This just happened to concide with a robbery at the petrol station. A colleague and his family, including two children and a toddler, were confronted by a man at a holiday resort in the bush a few days before Christmas. He had a pistol and threatened "to kill you all". This one ended in a fight and two shots fired, but no-one was badly hurt (physically). I can validate both incidents personally, these are not second or third hand stories.

FWIW, a 7ft wall and an electric fence is not a serious barrier. I'm sure a wealthy businessman had further layers of security in place. Motorised gates, CCTV, security gates, burglar bars, external/internal alarms and, sometimes, guards are pretty standard if you can afford it.

Why do I stay? Goodness knows. My wife lives in Scotland most of the time, but I'm still here and my children (grown up) have no intention of leaving, for the time being anyway. Africa seeps into you, and I don't want to go either. This might sound completely crazy, but there's just too much I love about it.
Big heart but head in the sand.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

No, not really. I work in a security risk management environment and I'm very conscious of the reality. I have a British passport but I'm not ready to leave. My decision and my choice. Questionable, perhaps, but not delusional.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Devonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really nice

So Tragic!

Yes these horrific things happen every single day there!

I just thank the man above I don't live there anymore - what a HELL HOLE!

But have to say that alot of "Foreigners" - think ahh shame the "other lot" are so hard done by in AFRICA - but they have absolutely No idea - how the "other lot" have screwed up our country. And they are killing their own kind too! They have absolutely no regard for human life whatsoever. They are Barbarians!

What a mess South Africa is in!
Old Jan 19th 2008, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

ScottishRose1971 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Devonfamily
So Tragic!

Yes these horrific things happen every single day there!

I just thank the man above I don't live there anymore - what a HELL HOLE!

But have to say that alot of "Foreigners" - think ahh shame the "other lot" are so hard done by in AFRICA - but they have absolutely No idea - how the "other lot" have screwed up our country. And they are killing their own kind too! They have absolutely no regard for human life whatsoever. They are Barbarians!

What a mess South Africa is in!
A british tourist was murdered in New Zealand this week. Happens all over the world.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 10:53 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by ScottishRose1971
A british tourist was murdered in New Zealand this week. Happens all over the world.
18 000 to 32 000 murders every year does not happen all over the world.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 11:10 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScottishRose1971
Of course it does, but South Africa's crime rate is just a smidge over the acceptable rate. Poor misunderstood lads ye know. I was thinking that you may be interested in a wonderful piece of property in happy Soweto. They have a spot of bother there too but nothing out of the ordinary in a violent country. It sports the usual 6 foot fence with a snappy german sheppard to keep the locals at bay. Leave your car windows open so they don't have to break them to get in. Less noise at night........
Old Jan 20th 2008, 12:48 am
Just Joined

ScottishRose1971 is an unknown quantity at this point

18 000 to 32 000 murders every year does not happen all over the world.
true , just commenting that British tourists, tourist in general , are seen as easy meat. Not trying to draw inferences about NZ vs South Africa.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Actually,Scottishrose,I doubt if b*stards care unless it's a contract hit what Nationality or colour their victims are.
We came to the sobering conclusion in 2004 that most of the time the groups would have some idea about what you had and it was proved over and over that if you had builders in the Street,someone was going to get either burgled or hit.
Robin Guy had pretty high levels.
Difference is if its just another ordinary victim raped or murdered its a small paragraph on Page 3
If it's a Tourist or Expat it is news
Old Jan 20th 2008, 10:50 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

I was truely saddened reading this. This seems so pointless and barbaric. Lets just hope those criminals are caught and brought to justice quickly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.