Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Anytips for avoiding Malaria?

Anytips for avoiding Malaria?

Old Feb 18th 2012, 11:48 am
Just Joined

denneza is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anytips for avoiding Malaria?

i was a guide in east, central and southern africa for years and the best way possible is to cover up at dawn and dusk,in light clothing and use repellent on your exposed skin areas.
lotions or sticks are the best.in wet season take tablets..
at night always sleep under a mozzie net and only open it up before you go to bed.during the day tie a knot in the mozzie net so they dont sneak in the day time.
spray your net with repellent a few hours b4 you go to bed.
Old May 9th 2012, 6:49 am
Just Joined

napatel2007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Keep Chloroquin Tabs handy
better take 2 every week
Old Jun 6th 2012, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

nomad4u is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maddyjvn
I've heard its better to wear black...is that true? Or that another bushman tale stemming from whiskey consumption.
Methinks ya got it the wrong way around.
Ya cant see the little buggers on black,but they sure stand out on white.
I get most bites throught any dark clothing
Old Jun 6th 2012, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

It may seem a bit wanky, but you can buy numerous electronic devices that are supposed to emit a frequency the buggers dont like.
Some of these small units plug into a power point for dwelling use,and some are battery operated and portable,and you wear them on your person,as on a key ring.
Not to be confused with the plug in types that emit a chemical repellant that U can buy in the supermarket.
There is also a plastic braclet you wear,obviously soaked with a repellant.
I have bought all on Ebay,easily available,cheap,and are delivered to you address,usually shipped in by mail from Hong Kong/China.
Will be testing them in Burma,but not till August 2012,so cant vouch for them at all at this stage.
Remember fellow travellers,there are worse thing you can get from Mossie bites,like the incurable Japanese encephalitis ,where 6 or so out of every ten or so bitees die.
Bummer!

Another extremley wily prevention method is to soak clothes such a socks, trousers ,shirts caps,even mossie nets etc in liquid Permethrin,let the items dry,and it will last several months.
I believe the military do this.
An interesting Link on the subject:
http://www.nathnac.org/travel/misc/t...htm#repellents
Old Jun 6th 2012, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Drink lots of alcohol, they don't like that.

EDIT: and eat garlic.

Last edited by Alfresco; Jun 6th 2012 at 1:11 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco

only makes the mossies drunk.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Alfresco

Ya got the right idea mate,and I see ur in Brissie,but with Aussie prices at almost $30 for a 700 mill bottle of gin,scotch,vodka or whatever,ya gotta be rich to get enought in ya to keep the biters away
Might ask Mss Gillard for another Bonus payment

Night!
Old Jun 7th 2012, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nomad4u
Ya got the right idea mate,and I see ur in Brissie,but with Aussie prices at almost $30 for a 700 mill bottle of gin,scotch,vodka or whatever,ya gotta be rich to get enought in ya to keep the biters away
Might ask Mss Gillard for another Bonus payment

Night!
Home brew is the answer.

Originally Posted by Daxk
only makes the mossies drunk.
.. and easier to squish!
Old Oct 8th 2012, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

madrelingue is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont wear perfume, it attracts mozzies. In Malawi I was told to drink a local tea, Piremiti tea. Never got Malaria in 5 years so maybe it works.