Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Anyone moving out to South Africa

Anyone moving out to South Africa

Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone moving out to South Africa

Originally Posted by Jacaranda
Bottled sunshine - a joke! In the good old days of Rupert Bear running as a comic strip in my Grandad's daily newspaper someone did actually bottle the sunshine!

Unfortunately, due to my own HBP meds etc I can't try your suggestion, neither can I now take my old "winter blues cure", St John's Wort! Apparently not enough is known about the intereaction of all these wonderful holistic cures (which I was brought up with!) with standard prescription drugs - and there is nowhere, in UK at least, where we can find out, no known database. If I'm wrong in this, I'd love to know - but our family doctor (who is a really "good ou") doesn't know!
As far as I know the Griffonia Seed extract stays in your system for only 24 hrs and has no side effects. I cannot use St John's Wort with my prescribes meds, but can use GS. Depends I suppose on what kind of prescribed meds you take. I have a very good GP who is also a naturopath. She gave me a whole list of known interactions between holistic and regular medicine - so there definitely exists something like that. Want to let me know in a PM what you are takign and I'll check my list out?
Old Mar 15th 2005, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Jacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The Druid
Visiting Cape town for couple of weeks a year and living there is two completely different things, I lived in South Africa for 10 years if the crime doesn't kill you the frustration level will, my ex-holiday home in Plettenburg bay is now in the middle of a govt sanctioned squatter camp "Flushing Meadows" it was beautifull over looking the bay, now it has been gutted, the people who I ended up giving it too were chased away by violent crime.

THEY TOO WERE FRESH LIBERAL MINDED BRITS, THEY ARE BACK IN THE UK NOW, LASTED 2 YEARS AND HAVE NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT, LOST EVERYTHING.

I met up with other fresh Brits in Johannesburg in 1998, they were suckered into buying a house South of Johannesburg for R750,000.00, this too was taken over by "Flushing meadows" and was sold for R100,000.00 they now live in a R100,000.00 town house complex and have nothing to show for it but a huge mortgage and a 20% interest rate.
So if that's what Plett is turning into, how come others on this Forum, while having emigrated there, never lock their doors? I've lived in so many different places, and never could I live anywhere without locking my door these days!
Old Mar 15th 2005, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Jacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by G'Day
As far as I know the Griffonia Seed extract stays in your system for only 24 hrs and has no side effects. I cannot use St John's Wort with my prescribes meds, but can use GS. Depends I suppose on what kind of prescribed meds you take. I have a very good GP who is also a naturopath. She gave me a whole list of known interactions between holistic and regular medicine - so there definitely exists something like that. Want to let me know in a PM what you are takign and I'll check my list out?
Thanks for the thought, but our Health Service is very adamant - I take other meds too, you see. Somehow I've weathered the winter, so far! Not quite sure when Spring will be coming - but it'll be around the corner somewhere!
Old Mar 15th 2005, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacaranda
So if that's what Plett is turning into, how come others on this Forum, while having emigrated there, never lock their doors? I've lived in so many different places, and never could I live anywhere without locking my door these days!
You can live in Jo'burg too and not lock your doors... !
Old Mar 15th 2005, 7:08 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pablo
Start your engines please !!

Of couse this not locking your doors woud depend on what you are smoking.

It is the "norm" in JHb to lock your car doors AT ALL TIMES so where you get this idea from I do not know.

My advice, do not become another crime statistic, rather be safe. My advice again, to be safe get OUT OF SA................... Bottom Line

Campbell
Old Mar 15th 2005, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Campbells
Start your engines please !!

Of couse this not locking your doors woud depend on what you are smoking.

It is the "norm" in JHb to lock your car doors AT ALL TIMES so where you get this idea from I do not know.

My advice, do not become another crime statistic, rather be safe. My advice again, to be safe get OUT OF SA................... Bottom Line

Campbell
Hey Campbell

I was being ironical! I used to live in Jo'burg, for Christsakes!

My point was just this: anyone can NOT lock their doors anywhere in the world, however dangerous, and you might be fine for a day, a week, a month... who knows. But you'd still be a damn fool.

What really gets me are those SAfricans who say all smugly, "when your time has come, your time has come." If they really thought that, then why bother locking their house or car or anything?... because when the good Lord has decided it's time, well it's time, so why take precautions to prevent it?

Anyway, good luck with your move. When are you off? Where abouts in Jo'burg are you? Keep safe!

Best wishes, P
Old Mar 16th 2005, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Hey Campbell

I was being ironical! I used to live in Jo'burg, for Christsakes!

My point was just this: anyone can NOT lock their doors anywhere in the world, however dangerous, and you might be fine for a day, a week, a month... who knows. But you'd still be a damn fool.

What really gets me are those SAfricans who say all smugly, "when your time has come, your time has come." If they really thought that, then why bother locking their house or car or anything?... because when the good Lord has decided it's time, well it's time, so why take precautions to prevent it?

Anyway, good luck with your move. When are you off? Where abouts in Jo'burg are you? Keep safe!

Best wishes, P
To the point of Safety versus smug pragmatism, Safety would win me any time. We all know that when our time has come, it has come, but I for one would rather die more peacefully than being bludgeoned or machete-ed to death, as happened to my friends in Botswana. As my father always impressed upon us, we should none of us take unnecessary risks! Because you never know . . . and in Africa there are ears and eyes everywhere!
Old Mar 17th 2005, 11:34 am
Just Joined

awalsh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello All ,

Bit of a newbie here , just thought I would give my 2 cents worth after reading through the forums....

I was born in the UK 31 years ago , my Dad moved us to SA when I was 3 ,
spent the rest of my life growing up there , mainly south of JHB , Durban.

I have now relocated back to the Uk for the last year and 4 months ,reason being we were afraid for our 3 year old son and his safty, we are now planing to return to SA in 2 months max.

Reasons being -

Miss my space
Unless you drink and party , impossible to make friends
Kids have no respect or manners
5 -10 year olds telling me f__k off
Too scared to look at someone incase they key your car
Dont want my kid to grow up a yob
Work your arse off for what ?

Reasons may sound childish but we are not a happy family here.

Now I know you are all saying that SA is not safe etc.....I know , my 9mm pistol is still there , I had 8ft walls with electric gates , 3 dogs in the yard.

I have had my share of crime , broken into and lost everything , that included all clothes , food from our cupboards , everything.
Had 1 car stolen , ran into video shop for 5 min , came out car gone.

It happens and Im willing to try it again , lots of friends and relatives have had some sort of crime happen to them , luckily non violent.I have had a gun put in my face and yes it scared the shit out of me , but I lived happily with my family and friends behind my 8ft wall.

At least the kids there have respect and dicipline , well 95% of them......

All I can say is that they say the grass is always greener on the otherside but thats because there is so much more bullshit..........

I am looking forward to returning and that is my own personal opinion.

If anyone knows of a company in the uk that handles all the requirements to return to SA please let me know , dont have time as my wife works nights , 12 hour shifts and I work from 8 till 7 in the day.

Thanks in advance

Awalsh
Old Mar 17th 2005, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by awalsh
Hello All ,

If anyone knows of a company in the uk that handles all the requirements to return to SA please let me know , dont have time as my wife works nights , 12 hour shifts and I work from 8 till 7 in the day.

Thanks in advance

Awalsh
Try Pickfords. They charge more than others but handle all the usual stuff pretty well. Pay to get your stuff delivered door to door. You don't want to get stuck having to deal with things like clearing thru customs in SA. Take a look at askharry.co.za which has some good tips.

I wish you luck. I hope you'll find time to post how you get on once you're back. I'm afraid I don't share your optimism, but I very much hope that, whatever else happens, you remain safe.

Best, P
Old Mar 17th 2005, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

awalsh is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanx Pablo , will try them and keep updating my situation.

Awalsh
Old Mar 17th 2005, 6:53 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by awalsh
Hello All ,

Bit of a newbie here , just thought I would give my 2 cents worth after reading through the forums....

I was born in the UK 31 years ago , my Dad moved us to SA when I was 3 ,
spent the rest of my life growing up there , mainly south of JHB , Durban.

I have now relocated back to the Uk for the last year and 4 months ,reason being we were afraid for our 3 year old son and his safty, we are now planing to return to SA in 2 months max.

Reasons being -

Miss my space
Unless you drink and party , impossible to make friends
Kids have no respect or manners
5 -10 year olds telling me f__k off
Too scared to look at someone incase they key your car
Dont want my kid to grow up a yob
Work your arse off for what ?

Reasons may sound childish but we are not a happy family here.

Now I know you are all saying that SA is not safe etc.....I know , my 9mm pistol is still there , I had 8ft walls with electric gates , 3 dogs in the yard.

I have had my share of crime , broken into and lost everything , that included all clothes , food from our cupboards , everything.
Had 1 car stolen , ran into video shop for 5 min , came out car gone.

It happens and Im willing to try it again , lots of friends and relatives have had some sort of crime happen to them , luckily non violent.I have had a gun put in my face and yes it scared the shit out of me , but I lived happily with my family and friends behind my 8ft wall.

At least the kids there have respect and dicipline , well 95% of them......

All I can say is that they say the grass is always greener on the otherside but thats because there is so much more bullshit..........

I am looking forward to returning and that is my own personal opinion.

Thanks in advance

Awalsh
Hello there,
I can really relate to your story & that is why we did not attempt to go to the UK. That country has lost it' marbles.

For what it is worth, if you get the opportunity have a look at NZ. I am her at the moment . There are huge amounts of S Africans here and this is a country to bring up kids.

If I can offer advice, help in any way please feel free to ask. I am truely sorry for your UK experience and stories like these make me feel embarressed to be British.

What happened to the Great in GB ?

Cheers and good luck to you & your family.

Campbell.
Old Mar 17th 2005, 6:57 pm
Banned

Forgot, try Magna Movers in SA, a real hands-on Co & very competitive.

Don't have teir contact details right now but if you need just shout.

Cheers again.

Campbell
Old Mar 17th 2005, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Druid is on a distinguished road

Only if you are black !!! then you have got nothing worth stealing because it has already been stolen.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

darren hughes is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Anyone moving out to South Africa

Originally Posted by Stuart James
Don't believe the press and negative publicity - i have been here for 3 years and this place is heaven on earth.

Crime was worse in the UK.

The standard of living is amazing!!!

If you want anymore informatin give me a shout

Stu
Hi Stuart. thanks for taking the time to read this, its really good to get the feedback from someone on the ground!. i am looking to move to cape town for at least a year, to study for my pilots licence. my partner will need to work full time and me part time. she has been told that work is hard to come by, in fact virtually impossible. she is looking for anything. is this true?. also would she be better just going out to cape town,looking for a job, then apllying for a work permit, or trying to get a job before we get there?.your advise is much apreciated, we cant wait to come out there!.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by darren hughes
Hi Stuart. thanks for taking the time to read this, its really good to get the feedback from someone on the ground!. i am looking to move to cape town for at least a year, to study for my pilots licence. my partner will need to work full time and me part time. she has been told that work is hard to come by, in fact virtually impossible. she is looking for anything. is this true?. also would she be better just going out to cape town,looking for a job, then apllying for a work permit, or trying to get a job before we get there?.your advise is much apreciated, we cant wait to come out there!.
I suggest you take a bit of time looking at the work permit and residency rules on the SA government web site if you're serious. I suspect you are not in the frame of mind to believe anything that doesn't conform to what you want to hear right now. Fair enough. We've all made that mistake sometime in our lives. But do yourself a favour and do some independent and honest research of your own. Don't just listen to me, and don't just listen to some fool who tells you crime is worse in the UK.

You won't get a work permit. Period. I worked for years in IT in SA for multinational companies, and then set up my own IT recruitment company in Joburg. I used to handle this sort of stuff all the time - and even at the height of the IT boom companies would not touch people without work permits or residency.

Sorry if this feels like I'm raining on your parade. Learning to fly in SA is great. I know. I've done it. But you're not going to achieve anything by kidding yourself.

Like I said, don't take my word for it, or anyone else's. Do your own honest appraisal of what's going on. You can check out the work permit stuff etc on the gov web sites, and you can check out the news as it really is by looking at the SA newspaper web sites. You can check out property rental prices by looking at estate agent sites (eg Pam Golding). It's all there. Do the research.

Good luck

P

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.