Anyone moving out to South Africa

Anyone moving out to South Africa

Old Jan 9th 2005, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

The Druid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anyone moving out to South Africa

Originally Posted by Campbells
Greetings all,

Some news that folk may not be aware of and is extremely serious for ANYONE considering to move to South Africa.

In Nov last year I found out that I would have to take up a SA passport for traveling in & out of the country and when I looked into the reasons why I was told that SA is no longer going to accept SA Citizenship (green ID book) for entry to SA. I was told by the dept of home affairs that I would HAVE TO apply for a SA passport, being who I am have never enjoyed being told I HAVE TO so I did some research before submitting the application.

It turns out that as of Oct this year SA will no longer allow dual citizenship and needless to say that I have since submitted a form to renege my SA citizenship which was actually automatically given to me in the eighties as in these days they may just have needed me on the Angolan border so in fact it was something that I never requested. Needless to say and at the absolute horror of the staff at the home affairs I have now reneged my SA citizenship as there is ZERO question of choice between UK & SA passports.
Although I’m not a gambling man I would put a good sum on how many Brit (& other nations) are not going to give up their passport for an SA one. This sounds like a course of events that happened in other countries in Africa.

I have also heard that there has been a whole lot of land seizure in the Northern Province so if this is the case the *%$## has already started to hit the fan here. We are so very happy to be getting out of here and it seems as if it is just in time.

With regards to Hermanus I must admit that they do have reputation of growing some of the best doobie and stress factor zero or rather when there is more than ten cars there is traffic chaos and I’m sure that the career prospect are vast. Truth be known, if I was single, no responsibilities blah blah blah, I’d go there with my Discman & Bob Marley collection and watch the whales for a few months and think, I’m hungry, what now?

Hakunamatata.

Campbell

You got your citenzenship by default, after 6 years you become a naturalized citizen, this entitles you to a RSA passport, it has always been law in RSA that you are NOT allowed to hold duel citenzenship, but in the old days they did not push the point as most of the white population would leave the country, I was asked in 1995 to resign my British passport in lieu of an RSA passport, you can guess what the answer to that was!! I just didn't bother replying to the letter, never heard any more about it.

I always got hassled about traveling to and from RSA on my british passport until I got wise, i just used to enter and leave the country as a tourist, I had two passports, I could leave on one and arrive on another, some bullsh*t about needing a special stamp in your passport that you would have to get from homland affairs and que for hours, balls to that.

They can have there citizenship back now, dont intend returning, ever, not even for a holiday.
Old Jan 9th 2005, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

The Druid is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Anyone moving out to South Africa

Meeow !!

Got my police clearance back, I havn't got a criminal record, does that mean I can still go to Aus !!

:-0
Old Jan 10th 2005, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Druid
Meeow !!

Got my police clearance back, I havn't got a criminal record, does that mean I can still go to Aus !!

:-0
Unfortunately.... yes. They've long given up choosing "tough career criminals" over soft law-abiding citizens :-)
Old Jan 10th 2005, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Apparently you can still have dual citizenship, but may enter and exit SA only using your SA citizenship to ensure that people entering or exiting SA do not claim assistance from another country if they are busy with something illegal - or so it seems? Please see this....

http://www.asata.co.za/archives/news101.htm
Old Jan 10th 2005, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Stuart James will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by G'Day
Apparently you can still have dual citizenship, but may enter and exit SA only using your SA citizenship to ensure that people entering or exiting SA do not claim assistance from another country if they are busy with something illegal - or so it seems? Please see this....

http://www.asata.co.za/archives/news101.htm

Sopt on - you can have dual citizenship and have been able to for a long time. You do not need to give up a any citizenship, but, you must always leave and enter SA on your SA passport.

Be interested to know who is making you choose between an SA one and foreign one as this is not in the regulations, about a year ago some minister was quoted in the newspapers as saying this was now government policy and later had to withdraw it after admitting it was just his own idea and there was no supporting act or indeed prospective act saying any thing of the sort. (only in Africa!)
Old Jan 10th 2005, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Jacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant future
Thumbs down Re: Anyone moving out to South Africa

I joined this forum out of interest. I grew up in East and South Africa, and, although back in Scotland, where my family is originally from, I get pretty homesick - for the sun, the people, etc etc.

However, I've read through this thread - and am mildly disgusted at all the sniping that has gone on. Granted, everyone has his point of view to put across - but, please, everybody, this is a public forum, and it would be so nice for newcomers like me to be able to read all the varying view on life, crime, etc in SA without reading all the snipes that you've been taking at each other.

Val/Jacaranda
Old Jan 11th 2005, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jacaranda
I joined this forum out of interest. I grew up in East and South Africa, and, although back in Scotland, where my family is originally from, I get pretty homesick - for the sun, the people, etc etc.

However, I've read through this thread - and am mildly disgusted at all the sniping that has gone on. Granted, everyone has his point of view to put across - but, please, everybody, this is a public forum, and it would be so nice for newcomers like me to be able to read all the varying view on life, crime, etc in SA without reading all the snipes that you've been taking at each other.

Val/Jacaranda
Point taken - and apologies, you are right we should be able to get views accross wthout getting personal.

So if i have offended anyone it was not intended and please except my apologies, i suppose it is just because we are passionate about the subject. So lets continue our discussions without 'the snipes'.

Happy new year to you all!!! May 2005 bring health, wealth and happiness.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Val/Jacaranda
Dearest Jacaranda,

Do not mistake my comments for "snipping". I am very earnest in what I say. Anyone attempting to assist immigrants into SA without giving them all the details regarding the crime and danger there is socially irresposnible and will hear about it from me. The blood of innocent people are on the hands of liars who want to see only what they want to see and ignore hard facts. Surely you can understand how a person from Europe could never in his/her whole life imagine a place where the things happen that happen in SA? How could one then willy nilly bullshit such innocents into thinking SA is a walk in the park?

No apologies from me dear. I have posted hard facts and backed them up when called upon to do so.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Jacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant future

S'okay - but we all have to remember, too, as has been posted before, that there IS crime in many other places as well. I for one would not be so stupid as to go walkabout in Brixton in London, or many other places in the UK - mind you, at the grand old age of 62, I don't tend to go walkabout much anyway, leastways not in this climate - the arthritis tends to take over!

Anyone got a line on bottled sunshine?

Val/Jacaranda
Old Jan 11th 2005, 6:28 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Not to get into debate BUT;

HI,

Give me a shout at Incompass, a call or e-mail them. We help out lots of Brits moving over to Cape Town. I'm on [email protected], Stuart James. I moved over 3 years ago and it was the best thing i ever did.

We can help with everything form orientation stuff - schools, doctors, housing etc through to tax issues, excahnge regulation etc.

Look forward to hearing for you

Stuart

THe above is a copy of SJs post from sept 2003.

If you care to have a look at the link it speaks loud & clear.

If my strong feelings are takens as "snips" well I'm sorry but I hope that the gen intention of folks on this forum are to HELP others (at no cost) with correct info where sometimes folk are moving to strage countries.

I am sure that this forum would not be the only source of info for research so for me it is better to keep the record straight and if that means hurting someone's feelings I would rather that as there is far too much hurt in this country.

My regards to you all

Campbell.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

S'okay - but we all have to remember, too, as has been posted before, that there IS crime in many other places as well. I for one would not be so stupid as to go walkabout in Brixton in London, or many other places in the UK - mind you, at the grand old age of 62, I don't tend to go walkabout much anyway, leastways not in this climate - the arthritis tends to take over!

Anyone got a line on bottled sunshine?

Val/Jacaranda
Try a combination of Griffonia Seed Extract and Vitamin D, it's the thing to keep the blues away. (not to be taken if you are on anti-depresants)
Old Jan 12th 2005, 10:45 am
Just Joined

GMDW is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: Anyone moving out to South Africa

[QUOTE=The Druid]Visiting Cape town for couple of weeks a year and living there is two completely different things, I lived in South Africa for 10 years if the crime doesn't kill you the frustration level will, my ex-holiday home in Plettenburg bay is now in the middle of a govt sanctioned squatter camp "Flushing Meadows" it was beautifull over looking the bay, now it has been gutted, the people who I ended up giving it too were chased away by violent crime.

Thanks for that rather condesending response.

What I was trying to say is that I have spent a reasonable amount of time in SA (specifically in Cape Town) over the last 25 years and have seen the vast changes there, mostly for the better. Of course the time I have spent there is no substitute for actually living there full time, but through my family and friends there I have built up a pretty good picture of both the good, and bad points.

At the risk of upsetting those in Jo'burg I think it's almost impossible to compare it to the Western Cape as they are just so different in my opinion. I would always recommend that anyone thinking of going to SA full time to visit several times and see as much as possible to get a full flavour...then make up your own mind.

I am sorry to see that a few people on this site seem have experienced some pretty awful events/issues whilst in the country and it has obviously coloured them-understandable in some cases. However I have to agree with comments from another person (Jacaranda I think) that these forums should be a productive sharing of views, both negative and positive, but not an open season of abuse/misdirected views. Just my opinion of course....

Flame suit on for the replies !!

Regards.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by G'Day
Try a combination of Griffonia Seed Extract and Vitamin D, it's the thing to keep the blues away. (not to be taken if you are on anti-depresants)
Bottled sunshine - a joke! In the good old days of Rupert Bear running as a comic strip in my Grandad's daily newspaper someone did actually bottle the sunshine!

Unfortunately, due to my own HBP meds etc I can't try your suggestion, neither can I now take my old "winter blues cure", St John's Wort! Apparently not enough is known about the intereaction of all these wonderful holistic cures (which I was brought up with!) with standard prescription drugs - and there is nowhere, in UK at least, where we can find out, no known database. If I'm wrong in this, I'd love to know - but our family doctor (who is a really "good ou") doesn't know!
Old Jan 12th 2005, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

Darren70 is an unknown quantity at this point

Any advice on how to receivce UK TV
Old Jan 12th 2005, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Darren70
Any advice on how to receivce UK TV

As you probably already know you can get BBC prime via DSTV but aside from that i have no idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.