Forum Regular

Stuart James will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone moving out to South Africa

I hope not too!!
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

leemarquis is an unknown quantity at this point

I will be moving to SA in january and would very much appeciate info regarding how I should go about getting the right visa to live and work there. I do not have a job offer so I guess I will have to go there on a visitors pass and apply for a work permit when I find a job???

Any help would be much appreciated.

Lee
Old Nov 4th 2004, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by leemarquis
I will be moving to SA in january and would very much appeciate info regarding how I should go about getting the right visa to live and work there. I do not have a job offer so I guess I will have to go there on a visitors pass and apply for a work permit when I find a job???

Any help would be much appreciated.

Lee
Hi Lee,

I need a bit more information from you to be able to tell you exactly - bit rushed now but will send you a private mail later

CHEERS

STU
Old Nov 7th 2004, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of
Angry Re: Anyone moving out to South Africa

Originally Posted by Stuart James
I suppose i could rant on about this but we are all entitled to our opinions, you chose to leave i choice to stay. You are obviously happy where you are which is great, i too am happy with SA. You did forget one thing when analysing South Africans and throwing a blanket over the entire country and its people - the fact that SA's that leave SA forever love to bitch about SA and keep on doing it.

On another note as i failed to make my point i'll see if some others can (hopefully ones that you cannot accredit to some ANC propaganda machine)

- The optimist sees opportunity in every danger; the pessimist sees danger in every opportunity.� Winston Churchill, as quoted in Made It, Hulton Getty

- “We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements in life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.� Charles Kingsley, as quoted in Made It, Hulton Getty

- With so many challenges and opportunities, South Africans can make a real positive difference to the lives of others. As South African rabbi, Warren Goldstein, puts it: “Our lives are full of significance here. It may not always be ‘Pleasantville’, but it’s meaningful�.

“For every guy who holds up a gun, there are 99 who hold out a hand of friendship.� Dennis Beckett, journalist

- Also accepting the challenges is half the battle, i never said it was perfect i said it was getting better and better, have a look below about challenges: -

- Pessimism is a self-fulfilling prophecy, as is being positive. … Typically, those who are actively involved in doing something about the problems around them are more optimistic.� Wayne Visser and Guy Lundy

How about some facts on crime rather than opinion, it is simply not true that SA has the highest crime rate in the world: -

- Colombia has the highest rate of intentional homicide per 100 000 people
- Australia has the highest burglary rate
- Spain has the highest robbery rate
- Norway has the highest rate of drug offences
- Homerton Hospital in the London district of Hackney treats more gunshot and knife wounds per capita each month than the Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital in Soweto.
- Almost twice as many cars are stolen in Buenos Aires than in Johannesburg, three times more breaking and entering happens in Dar Es Salaam and twice as much robbery happens in Rio de Janeiro
- Making sense of South Africa is, as I see it, a two-eyed business. That so many people have been suckered into applying only one eye, the dismal eye, not only makes for dreary conversation, but also risks making a self-fulfilling prophecy. ‘Hijackings!’ they wail. ‘Muggings! Poverty! Let’s get our money out! And then follow it!

Hasn't anyone told you not to believe everything you read? I KNOW where you got those "stats" and they're absolute rubbish. Crime in SA is so bad the government won't even allow the police to release the statistics, so how can you compare?
Old Nov 14th 2004, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

spannerbender is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Anyone moving out to South Africa

Originally Posted by Stuart James
Don't believe the press and negative publicity - i have been here for 3 years and this place is heaven on earth.

Crime was worse in the UK.

The standard of living is amazing!!!

If you want anymore informatin give me a shout

Stu

Stu, get real man SA is a fantastic place but it’s also a very dangerous place to live.
I have family living there (30+ yrs) and have visited every year for the last seven including one stay for 12 months.
I also had a cousin in the police (SAP) force for 10 years, so although I don’t know a great deal about SA I think my family do.

The least you could do for the people asking for advise is to be honest and cut the crap.

spannerbender
Old Nov 15th 2004, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spannerbender
Stu, get real man SA is a fantastic place but it’s also a very dangerous place to live.
I have family living there (30+ yrs) and have visited every year for the last seven including one stay for 12 months.
I also had a cousin in the police (SAP) force for 10 years, so although I don’t know a great deal about SA I think my family do.

The least you could do for the people asking for advise is to be honest and cut the crap.

spannerbender
Firstly South Africa is a big place, where i live is pretty much crime free, perhaps your cousin lives elsewhere!!!
Second - i never professed SA did not have its problems
Thirdly i dislike being called a liar, my advice is honest, its also a personal viewpoint. The last time i looked thats what forums are for - personal veiwpoints. If you think its crap thats your opinion and fine, you know nothing about me so where do you get off calling people dishonest, to coin your own phrase, do me a favour and cut the crap yourself.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Druid is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Anyone moving out to South Africa

[QUOTE=Stuart James]Firstly South Africa is a big place, where i live is pretty much crime free.

Are you sure you are in Cape Town, South Africa or planet Zog.

Guess you must be a hermit in the middle of the Karoo, that explains why you have no crime around you, with the exeption of a couple of sheep loitering with intent.............................because there is nothing around you.
............ also explains why you dont need an RSA drivers licence or ID book.

Either that or you wear blinkers like a horse..........................................
Old Nov 16th 2004, 6:16 pm
Desert spaces

Becs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud of

My friend is moving back to England from South Africa after what she describes as '6 months of pure hell'. I'll be welcoming her with open arms.

-Becs
Old Nov 17th 2004, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Becs
My friend is moving back to England from South Africa after what she describes as '6 months of pure hell'. I'll be welcoming her with open arms.

-Becs
Oh, Becs, I'm really glad to hear your friend is going back to the UK. Now you can sleep better ;-)
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:30 am
Just Joined

imries1 is an unknown quantity at this point

As a South African currently living in the UK, my husband, 4yr old son and I have had enough of the cold winters, the 70mile journey to work, the cost of living (yes we earn good salaries) and are basically missing home. We decided that we wanted to leave and even made a trip to NZ in june as we were considering moving there.

On our return we sat and asked ourselves why we wanted to go to NZ and every answer was that it is the same as SA. We decided that instead of nomading it around the world until we were happy, we were going to go home to good old SA.

Yes, there is a crime problem, but so does every single other country in the world have a problem - who can honestly say they have recently taken a stroll round the east end of london at night! Same applies to SA, be realistic and take your own safety seriously, don't venture into bad areas and just look after your well-being.

We have been touched by murder, my uncle was hijacked in his police car (he worked for SAP) and was shot dead at point blank range when slowing down with the hijackers in the car to avoid a major collision with another car. My brother was entrapped on a motorway at rush hour where spike were put in the road, all his tyres blew and he was robbed and they tried to murder him, he ran down the motorway for 2 miles and he ended up jumping in front of a car and stripping naked so that the occupants would realise that he wasn't armed, stop and help him get away from his attackers.

I was travelling back from Ixopo in KZN, now anyone who knows the area knows it is a bad area, the exhaust of the car i was driving fell off and i couldn't drive as there were sparks flying out the back. It was dusk and i was a woman alone, the only car who stopped for me were 2 black men in the notorious "black" taxi. They made me stand on the side of the road so i wouldn't be knocked down while they climbed under the car and cut the rubbers holding the exhaust on so I could at least get to safety. They then insisted on following me out the area to a main road to ensure i was safe. I didn't have a gun on me, they did and i know they would have used it if any harm had come to me.

I think a lot of expats LOVE to hear the bad side of SA as this gives them meaning as to why they left and re-affirms their decisions as the correct ones. Crime has no colour discreprancy and minority (yes minority) of white hating extremists in SA are just as likely to attack a black middle class family as a white middle class family.

10 years ago, if you went to any party in SA, there would be at least 3 people saying they were leaving. Now, every party I go to here, there are at least 50% saying they are planning their return to SA.

I think it is a bit sad how so many people "dis" SA and are so quick to tell anyone who is considering going home how stupid they are and just wait till they are a victim of crime before joining the "We hate SA club". SA needs more skilled people to go home, she has bred some of the most successful innovative people in the world (just look at our doctors and nurses). She needs them back to carry on building her economy which is going from strength to strength.

In short, we are leaving January 06 to go home, my husband is opening a business over there and will be taking on both black and white apprentices who are all crying out for skilled professions. We may not be making a massive diffence, but we are making a difference in those few families. Go on, slate me now, call me naive. Just remember, aren't we all allowed to make our own informed decisions that are right for us and our families.

God Bless Africa.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by imries1
As a South African currently living in the UK, my husband, 4yr old son and I have had enough of the cold winters, the 70mile journey to work, the cost of living (yes we earn good salaries) and are basically missing home. We decided that we wanted to leave and even made a trip to NZ in june as we were considering moving there.

On our return we sat and asked ourselves why we wanted to go to NZ and every answer was that it is the same as SA. We decided that instead of nomading it around the world until we were happy, we were going to go home to good old SA.

Yes, there is a crime problem, but so does every single other country in the world have a problem - who can honestly say they have recently taken a stroll round the east end of london at night! Same applies to SA, be realistic and take your own safety seriously, don't venture into bad areas and just look after your well-being.

We have been touched by murder, my uncle was hijacked in his police car (he worked for SAP) and was shot dead at point blank range when slowing down with the hijackers in the car to avoid a major collision with another car. My brother was entrapped on a motorway at rush hour where spike were put in the road, all his tyres blew and he was robbed and they tried to murder him, he ran down the motorway for 2 miles and he ended up jumping in front of a car and stripping naked so that the occupants would realise that he wasn't armed, stop and help him get away from his attackers.

I was travelling back from Ixopo in KZN, now anyone who knows the area knows it is a bad area, the exhaust of the car i was driving fell off and i couldn't drive as there were sparks flying out the back. It was dusk and i was a woman alone, the only car who stopped for me were 2 black men in the notorious "black" taxi. They made me stand on the side of the road so i wouldn't be knocked down while they climbed under the car and cut the rubbers holding the exhaust on so I could at least get to safety. They then insisted on following me out the area to a main road to ensure i was safe. I didn't have a gun on me, they did and i know they would have used it if any harm had come to me.

I think a lot of expats LOVE to hear the bad side of SA as this gives them meaning as to why they left and re-affirms their decisions as the correct ones. Crime has no colour discreprancy and minority (yes minority) of white hating extremists in SA are just as likely to attack a black middle class family as a white middle class family.

10 years ago, if you went to any party in SA, there would be at least 3 people saying they were leaving. Now, every party I go to here, there are at least 50% saying they are planning their return to SA.

I think it is a bit sad how so many people "dis" SA and are so quick to tell anyone who is considering going home how stupid they are and just wait till they are a victim of crime before joining the "We hate SA club". SA needs more skilled people to go home, she has bred some of the most successful innovative people in the world (just look at our doctors and nurses). She needs them back to carry on building her economy which is going from strength to strength.

In short, we are leaving January 06 to go home, my husband is opening a business over there and will be taking on both black and white apprentices who are all crying out for skilled professions. We may not be making a massive diffence, but we are making a difference in those few families. Go on, slate me now, call me naive. Just remember, aren't we all allowed to make our own informed decisions that are right for us and our families.

God Bless Africa.
Best to you - I wouldn't do it, but I hope it all works out well for you.
Old Nov 24th 2004, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by imries1

God Bless Africa.
What you say is so true and also so good to hear. I agree with your sentiments entirely. Welcome back home, SA needs more people like you.

PS - i am staring out the window at table mountain, surrounded by blue skies and can hear people outside laughing and enjoying life - there is NO WHERE i would rather be.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 6:48 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Anyone moving to South Africa is MAAADDD !!

Beautiful house, swimming pool, both husband & wife work from home. Steel spikes all way round on top of six-foot walls, electric motorized gates, security lighting in all areas of garden. Two levels of security gates (inner & outer), very strong burglar bars on all windows, panic buttons all round as well as remote panics. High tech security system linked to armed response company. CCTV cameras. But there’s no crime?

I’m a Scot lived here in SA for 24 years and believe me this place is SINKING FAST.
If you are white & thinking of coming to this country my advice is DON’T. The affirmative action is getting worse & worse so you think running your own company avoids that? My wife & I both run our own businesses & we are now told that we MUST have 51% black ownership. Hello, that’s majority shares.

You may have seen some of my other posts and we are at this point in time immigrating to NZ. Quite frankly Stuart James (at the risk of offending you) you are WAY OFF the mark and I sincerely hope that folk do not take you comments serious and I think you should consider that some folk are considering their futures and come to these forums for helpful & honest input.

We very recently put our house on the market and we had one of the leading estate agents here (international Co) and their comments were that 70% of house sellers reason for selling – immigration outta AFRICA.

I may sound a bit strong on this but I am VERY tired of hearing of teenagers being SHOT DEAD for a mobile phone. BABIES being raped because the witch doctors have spread rumours that it cures HIV / AIDS. If I had the time I could go on & on. I have been held-up at gun point in a car jacking in 95 and nearly everyone I know here has been a victim of some sort of crime.

You say that crime is on the decrease, yes in the statistics, why? because the government are shaping it that way for the flocks of sheep to believe. If you think that a crime ridden place like this is okay then come here and experiences the shock of going to a police station and discovering that most of the staff can’t read or write. If you comment they laugh at you.

Last weeks news headlines read that the police stations are now protected by private security companies, I think that says a lot.

Common sense & being careful does NOT CUT IT as the crimes we are experiencing here are NOTHING SHORT OF BARBARIC and (at the risk of not being politically correct) a lot of the violence is racially motivated. When someone breaks in your home to steal your belongings, one thing, when they rape the WHOLE FAMILY then shoot pregnant mothers in front of the other children blah blah blah. I’m sorry the crimes here are NO WHERE NEAR the crimes in the UK. This place IS NOT SAFE …………………

Not too long ago we had a Grandmother, mother & year-old BABY (all one family) shot execution style for fun by some twenty odd year-olds. If this was in first world country there would be a public outrage, here it’s just another day in Africa.

Driving here is another thing. The roads are polluted with taxis (mini-buses) that just do as they please. They WILL run you off the road if you challenge them. If you want to go & have a go at them you had better be prepared for a GUNFIGHT.

Several months ago I saw a shooting in broad daylight, two cars driving in front of me as I was at the lights (in the front of the queue) the furtherest car’s passenger leaned out & shot the driver of the other car which went out of control & bounced off lots of traffic. NOTHING DONE. This happened some thirty meters from a police station. Later that day I called that police station to find out what happened and none (inc the commander in-charge) knew anything about it. You ever heard a 9mm being shot? You will hear that thing for miles even above traffic.

So after my venting here folks you think I’m a Scottie that’s been on the juice? Check this out www.rac.org.za which is a residents run crime awareness site run by locals. You can post on this forum too so I’m sure you will get other opinions from folk living right here in AFRICA.

Hope that helps.

Campbell.
Old Dec 15th 2004, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Angry Re: Anyone moving to South Africa is MAAADDD !!

Originally Posted by Campbells
Beautiful house, swimming pool, both husband & wife work from home. Steel spikes all way round on top of six-foot walls, electric motorized gates, security lighting in all areas of garden. Two levels of security gates (inner & outer), very strong burglar bars on all windows, panic buttons all round as well as remote panics. High tech security system linked to armed response company. CCTV cameras. But there’s no crime?

I’m a Scot lived here in SA for 24 years and believe me this place is SINKING FAST.
If you are white & thinking of coming to this country my advice is DON’T. The affirmative action is getting worse & worse so you think running your own company avoids that? My wife & I both run our own businesses & we are now told that we MUST have 51% black ownership. Hello, that’s majority shares.

You may have seen some of my other posts and we are at this point in time immigrating to NZ. Quite frankly Stuart James (at the risk of offending you) you are WAY OFF the mark and I sincerely hope that folk do not take you comments serious and I think you should consider that some folk are considering their futures and come to these forums for helpful & honest input.

We very recently put our house on the market and we had one of the leading estate agents here (international Co) and their comments were that 70% of house sellers reason for selling – immigration outta AFRICA.

I may sound a bit strong on this but I am VERY tired of hearing of teenagers being SHOT DEAD for a mobile phone. BABIES being raped because the witch doctors have spread rumours that it cures HIV / AIDS. If I had the time I could go on & on. I have been held-up at gun point in a car jacking in 95 and nearly everyone I know here has been a victim of some sort of crime.

You say that crime is on the decrease, yes in the statistics, why? because the government are shaping it that way for the flocks of sheep to believe. If you think that a crime ridden place like this is okay then come here and experiences the shock of going to a police station and discovering that most of the staff can’t read or write. If you comment they laugh at you.

Last weeks news headlines read that the police stations are now protected by private security companies, I think that says a lot.

Common sense & being careful does NOT CUT IT as the crimes we are experiencing here are NOTHING SHORT OF BARBARIC and (at the risk of not being politically correct) a lot of the violence is racially motivated. When someone breaks in your home to steal your belongings, one thing, when they rape the WHOLE FAMILY then shoot pregnant mothers in front of the other children blah blah blah. I’m sorry the crimes here are NO WHERE NEAR the crimes in the UK. This place IS NOT SAFE …………………

Not too long ago we had a Grandmother, mother & year-old BABY (all one family) shot execution style for fun by some twenty odd year-olds. If this was in first world country there would be a public outrage, here it’s just another day in Africa.

Driving here is another thing. The roads are polluted with taxis (mini-buses) that just do as they please. They WILL run you off the road if you challenge them. If you want to go & have a go at them you had better be prepared for a GUNFIGHT.

Several months ago I saw a shooting in broad daylight, two cars driving in front of me as I was at the lights (in the front of the queue) the furtherest car’s passenger leaned out & shot the driver of the other car which went out of control & bounced off lots of traffic. NOTHING DONE. This happened some thirty meters from a police station. Later that day I called that police station to find out what happened and none (inc the commander in-charge) knew anything about it. You ever heard a 9mm being shot? You will hear that thing for miles even above traffic.

So after my venting here folks you think I’m a Scottie that’s been on the juice? Check this out www.rac.org.za which is a residents run crime awareness site run by locals. You can post on this forum too so I’m sure you will get other opinions from folk living right here in AFRICA.

Hope that helps.

Campbell.
Beam me up to NZ Scottie :-)

I'm so glad you posted this here. I am sick to the heart for the fates of the people that Stuart and others of his ilk lure to SA with lies. Most Westerners cannot even begin to IMAGINE the kind of life that people in SA put up with on a daily basis. Many of those returning have been away for a while and all-too-eager family, who just want them back in the fold, are not always too honest either. It's not until you're actually there that the reality hits you - BIG TIME. But by then it's a bit too late.

My father had to appoint a 51% majority shareholder to his small business 3 years ago or face not getting work from the SABC anymore. He had to pay a black man 51% of the profits he generated for doing nothing AND had to name the man as co-author on everything. As a freelance journalist you can imagine how flipping rediculous this was getting, I mean, how can someone else write his ideas and articles? How do you "partner" a story?

Last year he took early retirement after buying the "partner" out. Adding injury to insult, he had to pay the partner for doing nothing but sitting around for 3 years, to avoid him trying to claim "benefits" like pension, from the company. My father, once a very productive, left-wing member of society, has now been forced to retire or lose more than half his earnings to a parasite. It's a bit much to swallow.
Old Dec 15th 2004, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Anyone moving to South Africa is MAAADDD !!

Originally Posted by Campbells

Hope that helps.

Campbell.
Many thanks for your wonderful insight.

Campbell, i am never offended, because everyone has there own view point - that is the point of a forum - so people get both sides if the story. I must say though are you living in SA? Sounds more like Rwanda, and at the risk of offending you i do think your on the juice.

What you describe to me is F#####G unbelievable, but there again i live in the Cape so maybe Joberg is very different.

One thing i do thank you for Campbell is at least you live here, so your opinion is valid, unlike others who flee the country (assumably persued by a pack of natives wielding sub machine guns) then moan like shit from afar, based on crap and third hand stories.

Yes we have affirmative action, no its not perfect, but shit - nor was apartheid!! Unfortunately in the past the black guy who got half of G'days dads business, was not allowed to carry out that trade, because of the colour of his skin. This practise, condemmed by the rest of the world carried on for decades and equality must now happen.

I also think you insult peoples intelligence by suggesting that they would come here because of what i believe, or for that matter you. I am sure they will make their own minds up.

I strongly suggest you don't appoint your estate agent to sell your house (whilst i accept they are experts on every thing under the sun) he/she is talking out of their arse. If seventy percent of sellers are leaving the country then who the hell is buying all the homes, last year SA house prices topped the increase list in the entire world, more houses and homes were built than ever before to the point where there there is a brick shortage. Real estate sales are at a record high. Not the sort of economic indicators that point towards what your agent describes.

The stuff you describe does and can happen, i have never said it does not - what i am saying is there is another side to SA, living here you know the one i mean.

Take care Campbells and come visit the Cape its must be like another country compared to where you are.

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.