Reload this Page >

Advice on moving to Zimbabwe

Advice on moving to Zimbabwe

Old Jul 24th 2009, 8:42 am
Just Joined

Kprim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on moving to Zimbabwe

Dear all

Thank you for the answers (both the serious and not so serious). Ofcause the UN helps with alot of things, but I thought there might be people living in Zim using this forum, who could give me a bit of insider information. This not really being the case I will try somewhere else.

I wont comment on "young development workers"...

Thank you Tegwyn for the links - they were helpful.

Br,

K
Old Jul 24th 2009, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kprim
... I thought there might be people living in Zim using this forum
I don't think Zimbabwe has a functioning internet. Indeed I believe the phone system scarcely functions. Moreover, if reports are to be believed, there isn't much electricity or water supply either.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

El_Chango has a brilliant futureEl_Chango has a brilliant futureEl_Chango has a brilliant futureEl_Chango has a brilliant futureEl_Chango has a brilliant futureEl_Chango has a brilliant futureEl_Chango has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pablo
I don't think Zimbabwe has a functioning internet. Indeed I believe the phone system scarcely functions. Moreover, if reports are to be believed, there isn't much electricity or water supply either.
Furthermore, I recall in the not too distant past, that Rhod..er Zim used to sell food to neighboring countries. Perhaps a more constructive return to it's functional roots... Just a quick and dirty search for real solutions.

And good luck to you Kprim. I should share that I attended a Christian college here in the US, and tended to avoid the missionary conferences they held. You see, they were filled with this infectious hubris and ambition for the future of these places. I was already becoming perhaps aquainted with my own cynicism and perhaps uncharitability, if that's a word.

Interstingly, I hail from a country that could use a little reverse proselytizing; we routinely kill our unborn in this country out of convenience or other trifle. We have an administration currently engaging in possibly the most fiscally destabilizing conduct ever witnessed on the planet. It would not surprise me to see boatloads of angry, well trained chinese troops unloading (unopposed BTW) from boats in Los Angeles (in my life time) for what we did with their debt.

But you're different, willing to throw your real body into the gears of corruption and hate. Please forgive my weakness (or realism) and again, best of luck to you and your husband and your endeavours.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

ZIMUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am from Zim and have just seen your post.Although I have been living in UK for some time now my family are still in Zim so I go back fairly regularly.With the US dollar now the trading currency things seem to be improving because basically functional importing can occur.The story of Zimbabwe is a tragic one but you will find the people there most welcoming.I am gripped with awe/inspiration every time I go back.Re: where to live...the main problems are water and electricity supply.I believe Mt Pleasant which is a very beautiful suburb has been out of water for months(this could however be imited to certain parts of Mt Pleasant.When deciding where to live the water situation and whether there is a functioning borehole is an important question.Some boreholes have run dry and they are in winter now so the rains will only come end of Ocober.Electricity cuts ('zesa cuts') are frequent so investing in a large generator and possibly and invertor are essential.Again zesa cuts are most prominent in winter and it will be over soon. The better areas are the Northern suburbs, Greystone Park, Borrowdale,Mt Pleasant (as already mentioned).Avondale is fair.Hillside is ok (near to town) I believe lower Hillside is ok with water an upper Hillside not great.The suburbs further South are not as nice but a lot cheaper in price.Suburbs further out such as Umwinsindale are beautiful but quite remote.I hope you have a wonderful time in Zim even as you and others try to give positive input!
Old Oct 7th 2009, 11:41 am
Just Joined

Clark is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi!

I'm moving with my husband from Denmark to Zimbabwe on 1. October to work for the UN.

We dont know much about the place and would be grateful for all the tips and tricks, good advice, knowledge on rental of a house or appartment etc. And if anyone knows anything about if my husband would be able to use his skills as a graphic designer and animator in Zim is would be a great help!!!

Thank you!
Hello there. Have you arrived in Zimbabwe?

If yes, then my interest of question will be, what are you driving?
Old Oct 7th 2009, 11:57 am
Just Joined

I have arrived yes, and it is lovely here. We have found a beautiful house, the people are great and the internet is functioning as well as in any other african country. We will love living here.

We are not driving anything yet...
Old Oct 7th 2009, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clark
I work in Japan with a well known vehicle export company and can get you a good vehicle in low price.

Let me know if you have any preference for a vehicle you require.
Do you do top-end Mercs with all the bells and whistles, especially for the African market? Bullet proof? Champagne fridge?
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Do you do top-end Mercs with all the bells and whistles, especially for the African market? Bullet proof? Champagne fridge?
if so, Grace is looking for one to keep her milk cold.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Quit selling on this list.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 8:41 am
Just Joined

Pablo - relax - its actually good advice...

Clack - thank you. I have actually been in contact with the carjunction people and they were super helpful, so I think we will go that way and import from Durban.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

Quit selling on this list.
just helping mate. im no bot

Pablo - relax - its actually good advice...

Clack - thank you. I have actually been in contact with the carjunction people and they were super helpful, so I think we will go that way and import from Durban.
glad to know you have been in contact. you've been contact with our Durban office by any chance?
Old Oct 8th 2009, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

No only the Harare one. But they told me the car I wanted was in Durban.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 1:40 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Just a heads up. You are violating one of the rules of this site.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Clark
just helping mate
Liar. Every single one of the posts you have made since you so recently joined this site have been related to promoting your goddam business. And like every salesman sleazeball who infects the internet you claim you're "just helping."
Old Oct 9th 2009, 5:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
Just a heads up. You are violating one of the rules of this site.
Liar. Every single one of the posts you have made since you so recently joined this site have been related to promoting your goddam business. And like every salesman sleazeball who infects the internet you claim you're "just helping."
apologies guys.

didnt know you were so offended by the working class.

i didnt even create my own thread :/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.