Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

Is it worth joining the NIA?

Is it worth joining the NIA?

Old Jan 10th 2006, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Hafan is on a distinguished road
Default Is it worth joining the NIA?

Hello
I am ACCA qualified without and undergraduate degree but with a post-graduate diploma, I don't want to do anymore exames etc, so do you think its worth joining the NIA? - no exams, just a form apparently...
Thanks for any replys
Hafan
Old Jan 13th 2006, 1:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth joining the NIA?

Originally Posted by Hafan
Hello
I am ACCA qualified without and undergraduate degree but with a post-graduate diploma, I don't want to do anymore exames etc, so do you think its worth joining the NIA? - no exams, just a form apparently...
As of now, the PNA designation is worth less in the marketplace compared to CA and CPA.

However, from 1st January 2005 the NIA 'upgraded' the PNA designation to a higher standard and over the long term PNA should be worth more as a qualification. They might withdraw recognition for ACCA at that point.

NIA have historically been a second-tier accounting body in relation to ICAA and CPAA but the gap is narrowing. They became a skill assessing body in 2002, and joined IFAC in 2005.

You'll have to make up your own mind.

Jeremy
Old Jan 19th 2006, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

Hi
Just an update for anyone else thinking of doing this - I contacted the NIA today and I can become an ordinary member straight away, but to become a Professional National Accountant (which is the one worth anything) I still have to do the Australian Tax and Law papers. For me, I don't want to do any more exams at the moment (I have little kids) so am just going to stick with ACCA.
Best wishes to you all...
Hafan
Old Jan 19th 2006, 1:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hafan
Hi
Just an update for anyone else thinking of doing this - I contacted the NIA today and I can become an ordinary member straight away, but to become a Professional National Accountant (which is the one worth anything) I still have to do the Australian Tax and Law papers. For me, I don't want to do any more exams at the moment (I have little kids) so am just going to stick with ACCA.
Best wishes to you all...
Hafan

Doing Australian tax and law makes sense in terms of improving your employability in Australia, for obvious reasons.

Jeremy
Old Jan 20th 2006, 4:25 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Hafan,

You may already know this but there's a great article on the ACCA Australian site called something like Development for the Future (?) which goes through our (ACCA) status in OZ. It also advises doing tax and law, but says by the time you complete the CPA/ ICAA you'll be into the Oz market anyway. It also states that the CPA/ ICAA have created intentional barriers for us to get over.

Rgds,

Paul.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 12:33 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by diddy
HIt also states that the CPA/ ICAA have created intentional barriers for us to get over.
ICAA give full recognition to the UK chartered bodies (ICAEW/ICAS/ICAI). And vice versa.

CPAA does not give full recognition to ACCA - and ACCA in return will not give full recognition to Australian CPAs.

Realistically - if you're ACCA and want to get an Australian qualification, then it makes a lot more sense to go for ICAA rather than CPAA because ICAA is more prestigious in Australia.

Also, the international recognition of ICAA is much better (compared to CPAA) should you move on from Australia

Jeremy
Old Jan 24th 2006, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by diddy
Hafan,

You may already know this but there's a great article on the ACCA Australian site called something like Development for the Future (?) which goes through our (ACCA) status in OZ. It also advises doing tax and law, but says by the time you complete the CPA/ ICAA you'll be into the Oz market anyway. It also states that the CPA/ ICAA have created intentional barriers for us to get over.

Rgds,

Paul.

Thanks Paul, I will have a look at this.....