Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

Wish to migrate as accountant

Wish to migrate as accountant

Old Aug 3rd 2011, 8:02 am
Just Joined

Syam is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Wish to migrate as accountant

Hi Guys,

I have plans of migrating to Australia. I have been working as an accountant for the past 11 years in the middle east. I have an MBA in Finance (but my graduate degree is not accounting) & have been working in shipping & logistics field.

I want to do some accounting qualitfication which would enable me to find a better work as an accountant in Australia. I was considering CPA(Australia). But then I was more worried about the way it is valued outside Australia (you never know when you might have to leave the country). My other option was to do CMA. But I persume CPA would enable me to find a better job in Australia.

Any suggestions or insights from your guys would be highly appreciated.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 8:10 am
Just Joined

satyams is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wish to migrate as accountant

Originally Posted by Syam
Hi Guys,

I have plans of migrating to Australia. I have been working as an accountant for the past 11 years in the middle east. I have an MBA in Finance (but my graduate degree is not accounting) & have been working in shipping & logistics field.

I want to do some accounting qualitfication which would enable me to find a better work as an accountant in Australia. I was considering CPA(Australia). But then I was more worried about the way it is valued outside Australia (you never know when you might have to leave the country). My other option was to do CMA. But I persume CPA would enable me to find a better job in Australia.

Any suggestions or insights from your guys would be highly appreciated.

Hi Syam,

I think you should even think about CA from ICAA. CA is ,normally, considered to be more worthier than CMA and may be CPA as well. I suggest you to go for CA from ICAA. I think MBA and CA would great combination with 11 yrs experience in the field.

All the best for your future..

SS

Last edited by satyams; Aug 3rd 2011 at 8:13 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Hi SS

Thank for your response, very much appreciated. I was just wondering for me to qualify as a CA, I would need 3 years of practical experience with a qualified mentor (I persume that this can be carried out only once I am in Australia).

Won't that be a glitch since I will have to put in another 3 years for this?

From the ICAA website I came to know that I can have an external mentor (other than my employer) but still I will have to put in 3 years after qualifying as CA (or maybe even more since I will be doing it part time?)
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

JOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really nice

Hi SS

Thank for your response, very much appreciated. I was just wondering for me to qualify as a CA, I would need 3 years of practical experience with a qualified mentor (I persume that this can be carried out only once I am in Australia).

Won't that be a glitch since I will have to put in another 3 years for this?

From the ICAA website I came to know that I can have an external mentor (other than my employer) but still I will have to put in 3 years after qualifying as CA (or maybe even more since I will be doing it part time?)
If you have relevant experience as an accountant you may get an exemption and fulfill only two years of practical work experience. I was given this exemption and my two years ran concurrently with the time I undertook the program, and became a member upon completion this year.

You also need to have an accounting degree (or show evidence you have done and passed about nine accounting units) to register for CA or CPA - may be you should check out if you qualify for a positive migration assessment.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 9:15 am
Just Joined

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try migration assessment & sadly I did not qualify for a positive migration assessment.

You mentioned below "I was given this exemption and my two years ran concurrently with the time I undertook the program, and became a member upon completion this year."

Does this mean that at the same time as doing the course I can complete my practical experience as well? I am not sure whether I will be able to do so in my current company since it is a shipping company (doubtful whether I will be able to do it here because of the areas which need to be covered during the practical experience)

Should I try to get into some auditing firm on part time basis or something? I feel that I wouldnt have all these problems if I am going for CMA. But the probelm would be the recoginition I get in Australia

Is it the same same issue with doing CPA as well.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

JOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really nice

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try migration assessment & sadly I did not qualify for a positive migration assessment.

You mentioned below "I was given this exemption and my two years ran concurrently with the time I undertook the program, and became a member upon completion this year."

Does this mean that at the same time as doing the course I can complete my practical experience as well? I am not sure whether I will be able to do so in my current company since it is a shipping company (doubtful whether I will be able to do it here because of the areas which need to be covered during the practical experience)

Should I try to get into some auditing firm on part time basis or something? I feel that I wouldnt have all these problems if I am going for CMA. But the probelm would be the recoginition I get in Australia

Is it the same same issue with doing CPA as well.
I think you need to find out first how you will qualify for a positive migration outcome as an accountant - may be study some additional units. If you have experience as an accountant then once you get your PR you may then plan to enroll in either CPA or CA. Yes, while you study for CA that period qualifies, but I presume it must be an Australian employer and a mentor from a GA member body (you may wish to clarify this with the ICAA).