graduate accountant to be

Old Aug 2nd 2007, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

scottishlassy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile graduate accountant to be

Hi, I'm in the final year of Uni for a BA Accounting - completion June 08. I already have a visa for Oz which has been validated (hubby's a chef) and was wondering if anyone could answer the following questions for me.

Firstly, can anyone tell me what the main difference is between CA and CPA. Have read that CPA is the preferred qualification (60% of employers) according to the West Australian - and to Perth I intend to ahead.

I have completed changed career so have no work experience yet in accounting - so I could really do with some assistance in ensuring that I pick the one which will give me the greatest work opportunity and chance to further improve me studies.

Also, have emailed CPA who have told me that I need 9 out of 12 core modules - is this the same criteria for CA and would a UK degree generally cover these required core modules. Many thanx.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 12:02 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: graduate accountant to be

Originally Posted by scottishlassy
Hi, I'm in the final year of Uni for a BA Accounting - completion June 08. I already have a visa for Oz which has been validated (hubby's a chef) and was wondering if anyone could answer the following questions for me.

Firstly, can anyone tell me what the main difference is between CA and CPA. Have read that CPA is the preferred qualification (60% of employers) according to the West Australian - and to Perth I intend to ahead.
CA = Chartered Accountant
CPA = Certified Practising Accountant.

I have never heard of an employer preferring to hire a CPA compared to a CA. But there are some CAs out there who will always prefer to hire another CA.

If you later on return to Scotland, you can become a Scottish CA by direct entry if you are an Australian CA.

On the other hand, the Australian CPA qualification is not fully recognised by any UK accounting body and you would have to re-sit the final stage.

http://www.icas.org.uk/site/cms/cont...titute_details

"ICAS currently has reciprocal arrangements with the following overseas Institutes only ;

* Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CICA)
* Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia (ICAA)
* Institute of Chartered Accountants of New Zealand (ICANZ)
* South African Institute of Chartered Accountants (SAICA)

Members of the above Institutes will be required to sit a small number of exams.

ICAS has recently signed a reciprocal arrangement with the Hong Kong Society of Accountants (HKSA). The arrangement will enable HKSA members who have completed its Qualification Programme(QP) under an authorised employer or supervisor to apply for membership of ICAS. During the transitional period members of HKSA wishing to obtain reciprocal membership will be dealt within on a case by case basis."

Same applies should you later on move to New Zealand - Australian CA is recognised for direct entry as a New Zealand CA, while Australian CPA is not.

Bottom line is that there isn't a huge difference between CA and CPA but in terms of prestige locally, and recognition internationally, CA has a definite edge. If you have a choice in the matter, go for CA.

The Australian CA institute is flexible on training arrangements and while you do have to work under the supervision of an Australian CA in an ICAA accredited firm, you don't have to work in public practice.

Also, have emailed CPA who have told me that I need 9 out of 12 core modules - is this the same criteria for CA and would a UK degree generally cover these required core modules. Many thanx.
The requirements of ICAA and CPAA are broadly similar. A UK degree is equivalent to an Australian bachelors, as for whether the syllabus coverage is enough, it depends on the university. You may need to do some bridging study with an Australian university.

Take a look at the ICAA website: http://www.charteredaccountants.com.au

One further thing you should know. A skill assessment for non-migration purposes (ie, if you are already a PR visa holder) is much cheaper, only around A$50 or so. Make sure you do not overpay.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 6:44 am
Just Joined

scottishlassy is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for that info - much appreciated. I wonder if you wouldn't mind clarifying the cost factor. I have was under the impression that it costs around $400 to have a non accredited (ie overseas) degree assessed for membership purposes - and this figure is the same regardless of whether or not you require it for migration - which I obviously do not.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 11:59 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishlassy
Many thanks for that info - much appreciated. I wonder if you wouldn't mind clarifying the cost factor. I have was under the impression that it costs around $400 to have a non accredited (ie overseas) degree assessed for membership purposes - and this figure is the same regardless of whether or not you require it for migration - which I obviously do not.
http://www.charteredaccountants.com....ons_final1.pdf

You're almost right - it's A$395 as your qualifications were obtained overseas. If you had been a qualified ACCA, CIMA or Indian CA, the fee for non-migration purposes is only A$50.

Note that they say they refund the assessment fee if you enrol on the CA Program.