US CPA in Other Countries

Old Jan 11th 2010, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

wasvsdal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US CPA in Other Countries

Hi,

I am a Certified Public Accountant [CPA] in the United States, and wanted to live abroad for a few years. What would be the best way to look for employment, i.e.) in London? Would my CPA hold any value there, as ACCA is a preferred qualification listed in most job descriptions? What would I need to do to obtain the ACCA designation? Finally, how much do Accountants on average make in other countries? - if you could provide this information on a scale as opposed to a figure. For instance, Accountants have one of the best starting salaries out of undergrad in the United States, at around $45,000 to $60,000.

If you could also list any other information/resources which would help me in quest to move to London, then that would be wonderful!

Thanks!
Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

Blendin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: US CPA in Other Countries

Originally Posted by wasvsdal
Hi,

I am a Certified Public Accountant [CPA] in the United States, and wanted to live abroad for a few years. What would be the best way to look for employment, i.e.) in London? Would my CPA hold any value there, as ACCA is a preferred qualification listed in most job descriptions? What would I need to do to obtain the ACCA designation? Finally, how much do Accountants on average make in other countries? - if you could provide this information on a scale as opposed to a figure. For instance, Accountants have one of the best starting salaries out of undergrad in the United States, at around $45,000 to $60,000.

If you could also list any other information/resources which would help me in quest to move to London, then that would be wonderful!

Thanks!
Unfortunately, AICPA does not have a mutual recognition agreement with any UK accounting body.

As for salaries in other countries, over here in Ontario Canada, a newly designated Chartered Accountant makes $71k.

It appears that an average Canadian CA makes more than a U.S. CPA
http://www.guidetorulingtheworld.ca/Rule/Rule2_2.aspx

http://www.startheregoplaces.com/why...ry-and-demand/
Old Jan 12th 2010, 1:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blendin
Unfortunately, AICPA does not have a mutual recognition agreement with any UK accounting body.
It does ... with the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland (which covers Northern Ireland, part of the UK).

And an Irish CA can use the "Chartered Accountant" designation in Great Britain.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 6:01 am
Just Joined

ron13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
It does ... with the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland (which covers Northern Ireland, part of the UK).

And an Irish CA can use the "Chartered Accountant" designation in Great Britain.
Can anyone advise if the US CPA is recognized in Canada ?
Old Jan 25th 2010, 11:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ron13
To some extent, eg for Ontario:
http://www.icao.on.ca/Admissions/Occ...0page1361.aspx
Old Jan 25th 2010, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

The US CPA gives you advanced standing in all three Canadian accounting bodies. Employers don't value the CPA unless you have substantial experience in dealing with US tax law and/or relevant US work experience.
Again, the advanced standing is based on your CPA license and not just a certificate.

If you are a CPA and don't have public accounting experience then I suggest to skip the CA option. As a newcomer it will be extremely difficulat to land a training spot with an approved office.

CGA will grant exceptions in all but three courses, where you will be given a challenge exam.

CMA Ontario will let you bypass the CMA entrance exam.
http://www.cma-ontario.org/index.cfm...83&la_id=1#003

Last edited by Blendin; Jan 25th 2010 at 11:10 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:05 am
Just Joined

The US CPA gives you advanced standing in all three Canadian accounting bodies. Employers don't value the CPA unless you have substantial experience in dealing with US tax law and/or relevant US work experience.
Again, the advanced standing is based on your CPA license and not just a certificate.

If you are a CPA and don't have public accounting experience then I suggest to skip the CA option. As a newcomer it will be extremely difficulat to land a training spot with an approved office.

CGA will grant exceptions in all but three courses, where you will be given a challenge exam.

CMA Ontario will let you bypass the CMA entrance exam.
http://www.cma-ontario.org/index.cfm...83&la_id=1#003

Thank you for your advice. So it is easier to take the CGA/CMA path for a CPA because of the number of exemptions that these associations will grant. I was under the impression that there ' s some agreement between CICA and AICPA for mutual recognition. If there is one, do you still need to work in an approved accounting firm for training or can one fast track ? I understand that previous experience from the US will lead to a better recognition in Canada. Is it a requirement though to have a local designation to work in Canada? Or will I be at a disadvantage in the market place if I dont have one? Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:06 am
JAJ
Retired

Thank you for your advice. So it is easier to take the CGA/CMA path for a CPA because of the number of exemptions that these associations will grant. I was under the impression that there ' s some agreement between CICA and AICPA for mutual recognition. If there is one, do you still need to work in an approved accounting firm for training or can one fast track ?
Did you read post #5?
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for your advice. So it is easier to take the CGA/CMA path for a CPA because of the number of exemptions that these associations will grant.
Not really, if you qualify for CA-CPA reciprocity it should take 6-8 weeks to prepare for the CARE exam. The CMA Strategic Leadership Program takes about 16 months and the three CGA challenge exams can be completed easily in 6 months.

Note: make sure your state accounting board is approved by ICAO for reciprocity.
http://www.icao.on.ca/Admissions/Mem...11page1663.pdf
Old Jan 26th 2010, 2:14 am
Just Joined

Not really, if you qualify for CA-CPA reciprocity it should take 6-8 weeks to prepare for the CARE exam. The CMA Strategic Leadership Program takes about 16 months and the three CGA challenge exams can be completed easily in 6 months.

Note: make sure your state accounting board is approved by ICAO for reciprocity.
http://www.icao.on.ca/Admissions/Mem...11page1663.pdf
Blendlin, You have really been helpful. Much appreciated...

I will look at my different options now .
Old Feb 18th 2010, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Adeelkhan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Those who are members of AICPA since 5 years can join ICAEW.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Adeelkhan
Hi,
Those who are members of AICPA since 5 years can join ICAEW.
Not that simple, an ICAEW member who has known you for at least 3 years must sponsor you.

Also, what does the following mean ?
"AICPA members who join the ICAEW under the Pathways to Membership scheme must maintain their home body membership."
Old Feb 19th 2010, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Also, what does the following mean ?
"AICPA members who join the ICAEW under the Pathways to Membership scheme must maintain their home body membership."
It sounds like they mean one has to continue to be registered with the original accountancy body as well as ICAEW i.e. still pay the fees, provide the CPD evidence etc.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
It sounds like they mean one has to continue to be registered with the original accountancy body as well as ICAEW i.e. still pay the fees, provide the CPD evidence etc.
Thanks. so in other words you have to maintain good standing with AICPA.