US CPA

Old Dec 6th 2009, 1:33 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US CPA

Originally Posted by JohnJ
Am I correct in understanding once you pass the 4 papers of the Universal CPA exam you are eligible to get licensed as a US CPA and they have an MRA with ICAA which you can avail of.
Most states require experience as well as the CPA exam. As for becoming Australian CA, it can be done but there are additional requirements. For example, you must have a state practising licence to be eligible for the MRA.

Also, obviously haven't tied down all the micro details of this but,

(1) Are there other experience requirements to satisfy, in order to achieve full US CPA status, similar to the ACCA/ Australian CPA/ ICAA 3 year requirement and if so can UK/Irish experience fulfil this.
(2) Has anyone else gone through this and have feedback on how difficult the papers are
(3) Can you be licensed by Colarado to sit the Universal CPA exam but actually sit it at a Prometric centre in Boston or New York, which are more accesible from Ireland. I don't suppose there are UK or Irish prometric test centres?
(4) Is universal CPA testing available only at certain times during the year, or all through the year, once you've been cleared by the Colorado Board and/or NASBA to apply for the test.
1. Yes. Check each state board for its own experience requirements. Some states accept non-public accounting work experience, others don't. Some states insist it has to be under supervision of a US CPA, others accept some foreign accounting experience. Some states will waive work experience if you have a certain education level, others won't.

Also some states require residence, others don't.

2. Remaining questions are answered by http://www.cpa-exam.org
Prometric has testing centres in many countries but NASBA has stipulated that the CPA exam should only be offered in the United States. If you are a candidate of state X you can take the exam at any US testing centre.

Last edited by JAJ; Dec 6th 2009 at 1:56 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Blendin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JohnJ
Thanks for the update Hellboy....according to the Colorado Board Website the ACCA recognition remains in place, I might email them tommorrow Monday, to confirm.
I think Hellboy was referring to this:

"ATTENTION: All applications for applicants using a Chartered Accountant certificate to meet education rule 2.4 or who are using a Chartered Accountant to verify work experience have been put on hold by the Colorado State Board of Accountancy as of October 28, 2009. We will have more information regarding this issue after the Board meets again December 9, 2009."

http://nasbalicensingservices.nasbat...ay_page?id=190
Old Mar 29th 2010, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

andypandy2001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys sorry for changing this thread around abit but was wondering how an ICAI would fare getting a green card and accountancy job in USA.
I mean ICAI and in the Irish Chartered Accountancy
Old Mar 29th 2010, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

dd
Old Mar 29th 2010, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

a
Old Mar 30th 2010, 2:51 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andypandy2001
Hi guys sorry for changing this thread around abit but was wondering how an ICAI would fare getting a green card and accountancy job in USA.
I mean ICAI and in the Irish Chartered Accountancy
With ICAI you can do the US CPA by doing the reciprocity exam, however you still must meet one of the state board requirements for a CPA certificate or licence. Also see: http://www.acaus.org/

For visa, etc, read:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

PS it is impolite to make posts purely to bring a thread to the top of a forum.