Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

US- Canada Accounting acceptance

US- Canada Accounting acceptance

Old Nov 7th 2007, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

destcan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US- Canada Accounting acceptance

Hello all,

I am in the process of moving to Canada. I have a B.S in Accounting and an MBA both from US and have been working in US as an staff accountant for the last couple of years. Since I always wanted an accounting designation I started studying for CMA.

I came across some forums( not this one) which says that US-CMA is not accepted in Canada. Now I am really confused because i dont want to do something which will not be beneficial when I go to Canada.

1. Is there any truth to this?

2. I dont know a way to do Canadian CMA, CGA or CA while in US
Does anybody know if I can do these while in US?

3. Would it be better if I do CPA instead of CMA? would that help me in Canada?

Advice is really appreciated.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 5:18 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US- Canada Accounting acceptance

Canadian professional bodies guard their rights to grant designations very jealously. They don't recognize foreign designations. Some employers might, but most don't.

I would guess there is some sort of mutual recognition between CPA and CA in Canada, subject to a few conversion courses. You need to check with them. I also think there is likely to be some way of converting a US CMA to a Canadian one. Again, you need to check with them.

The CGA will almost certainly give you some advanced standing because of your qualifications but will still require you to enroll as a student. They can be very picky about accepting academic study as equivalent to their vocational courses.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 5:22 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destcan
Hello all,

I am in the process of moving to Canada. I have a B.S in Accounting and an MBA both from US and have been working in US as an staff accountant for the last couple of years. Since I always wanted an accounting designation I started studying for CMA.

I came across some forums( not this one) which says that US-CMA is not accepted in Canada. Now I am really confused because i dont want to do something which will not be beneficial when I go to Canada.

1. It's true. Employers might accept it, but the Canadian CMA institutes do not. And you can't use the CMA letters in Canada for that reason.

2. Just do your CPA. Employers will often regard CPA as equivalent to CA. US CMA is worth much less in Canada. In any case, if you do your CPA you can always do CMA later on if you really want to.

U.S. CPA is also useful if you go to other countries, eg Australia.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 5:27 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Canadian professional bodies guard their rights to grant designations very jealously. They don't recognize foreign designations.
Not quite true. There is some limited mutual recognition of the CPA designation by the CA institutes. CGA now recognises the ACCA designation, and CMA has some (limited) recognition of the CIMA designation.

I would guess there is some sort of mutual recognition between CPA and CA in Canada, subject to a few conversion courses. You need to check with them.
Recognition of CPA by a CA institute is subject to:

1. Whether the relevant state board recognises Canadian CAs; and
2. Completion of the Chartered Accountants Reciprocity Exam (CARE); and
3. Applicant must have a certain amount of public accounting experience; and
4. Normally, applicant must have completed the CPA exam while a non-resident of Canada; and
5. Specific provincial requirements (eg residency in most provinces, French language in Quebec, and so on).

CPAs who belong to the AICPA can get member benefits from the provincial CA institute where they live under the Global Accounting Alliance.

I also think there is likely to be some way of converting a US CMA to a Canadian one.
There isn't. Other than starting from scratch, as far as I know.

Bottom line is that U.S. CPA is at least 200% better in terms of the options it opens in Canada, compared to U.S. CMA. (having both is even better).
Old Dec 28th 2007, 8:28 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I recruit for Accountants in Canada, and none of the Clients I work with recognise the CPA and only want Canadian Designations. However, you can transfer your CPA credits into either CGA or CMA (and I have candidates that have done this), that normally puts you at Level 4.

Tigger
Old May 23rd 2008, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Blendin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ

Recognition of CPA by a CA institute is subject to:

1. Whether the relevant state board recognises Canadian CAs; and
2. Completion of the Chartered Accountants Reciprocity Exam (CARE); and
3. Applicant must have a certain amount of public accounting experience; and
4. Normally, applicant must have completed the CPA exam while a non-resident of Canada; and
5. Specific provincial requirements (eg residency in most provinces, French language in Quebec, and so on).
Does that mean living outside of Canada at the time of taking the CPA exams.
Old May 25th 2008, 3:39 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Blendin
Does that mean living outside of Canada at the time of taking the CPA exams.
Depends on the specific requirements of the provincial CA institute ... some might insist on residence in the same state as the one which granted your CPA status.
Old May 26th 2008, 5:11 am
You will be mine in Hell.

Hellboy663 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by destcan
Hello all,

Advice is really appreciated.
Sorry but I don't understand why is it that you wish to migrate to Canada when you are in the US. I know of many who have migrated from Canada to the US but not many who have done the reverse, just like I know of many Kiwis who have moved to Australia but have not known many Australians who have moved to NZ unless they are going for retirement. Many migrants from what I know, were highly skilled but were not able to get decent jobs in their respective professions in Canada. They got disgruntled as a result after sometime and moved to the US.
Old May 26th 2008, 8:42 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Hellboy663
Sorry but I don't understand why is it that you wish to migrate to Canada when you are in the US.

Maybe he is on a temporary visa and faces a long wait for a green card?