Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

UK Chartered Accountant - jobs in Canada

UK Chartered Accountant - jobs in Canada

Old Jul 10th 2008, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Blendin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Chartered Accountant - jobs in Canada

Originally Posted by Hellboy663
As for work experience, I guess that it matters a great deal as to which state you've got your CPA from. When I applied for a job here in Oz, believe it or not, when I said that I had a US CPA, my employer wanted to know which State I had got it from. I guess getting the CPA from a state that is somewhat relaxed in its requirements can put you at a distinct disadvantage.
Up till 2006, Delaware was the easiest state to get certified.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

Blendin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
http://www.icabc.com/kb.php3?catid=9

As for work experience, depends on the state. Illinois is one of the few states remaining (until 2010, at least) which allows someone to become a certified CPA without work experience. Such CPAs are not allowed to practice public accounting.
so does Colorado and Florida.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

Zettle is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a new member to this forum. I am a partner in a CA firm in Canada and also hold a CPA designation from the US. I can tell you that the job market in Canada for CA's in general is very active as demand is certainly well ahead of supply. If you have decent public practice experience, I would not expect your foreign credentials, particularly coming from the UK, would limit your employment opportunities from a forward thinking Canadian firm.

I do not have a detailed knowledge of what it takes to become a permanent resident in Canada. I can tell you that we hired an international business student from Germany about 3 years ago with little difficulty. She was only with us for a summer, but her work was great and she took a real shine to her limited exposure to life in Canada. We told her would have a job with us if she decided to pursue a career in Canada.

I certainly hear enough in the media about immigrants with professional credentials stuck in blue collar jobs in Canada. I do not here that a lot coming from the accounting profession. Maybe the media only picks up on the doctors, engineers, etc. I do know there is greater pressure on a number of professional bodies to speed up the process of qualifying foreign trained professionals.

I am confident a good employer would assist a promising employment candidate in this regard. I think it would be easier as an employer to assist a CA that in would be for some of the other professions.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Dis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura aboutDis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura aboutDis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the advice.

I learned yesterday that I would only get into BC or Manitoba as these are the only two places that code 1111-Accountants are under the OUP list (Occupations under Pressure list).

I've already had some good advice from JonBoyE with regards to employment in Vancouver. I'm also looking into Winnipeg. Any accountants out there in Winnipeg that could give some advice about working as an accountant there.

I qualified as ACCA as a Financial Accountant (ie in a practice) but have worked the last few years working in a Credit Union as a Management Accountant. Where do the majority of the jobs sit, in industry or in a Practice (ie doing Tax returns and small Company accounts).

Am also thinking of doing some IFRS course as my exposure to this is very limited.

Any advice would be great.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 1:48 am
You will be mine in Hell.

Hellboy663 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Blendin
Up till 2006, Delaware was the easiest state to get certified.
Which explains why a CPA from Delaware is not very well regarded outside of the state.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by Zettle
I am a new member to this forum. I am a partner in a CA firm in Canada and also hold a CPA designation from the US. I can tell you that the job market in Canada for CA's in general is very active as demand is certainly well ahead of supply. If you have decent public practice experience, I would not expect your foreign credentials, particularly coming from the UK, would limit your employment opportunities from a forward thinking Canadian firm.

I do not have a detailed knowledge of what it takes to become a permanent resident in Canada. I can tell you that we hired an international business student from Germany about 3 years ago with little difficulty. She was only with us for a summer, but her work was great and she took a real shine to her limited exposure to life in Canada. We told her would have a job with us if she decided to pursue a career in Canada.

I certainly hear enough in the media about immigrants with professional credentials stuck in blue collar jobs in Canada. I do not here that a lot coming from the accounting profession. Maybe the media only picks up on the doctors, engineers, etc. I do know there is greater pressure on a number of professional bodies to speed up the process of qualifying foreign trained professionals.

I am confident a good employer would assist a promising employment candidate in this regard. I think it would be easier as an employer to assist a CA that in would be for some of the other professions.

Hope this helps.
Well, at the end of the day, I guess it depends a lot on the person to 'sell' himself. The problem of highly qualified immigrants not finding jobs is not only there in Canada but also here in Oz where I've heard (though I have not personally come across) CAs from India or grads from 3rd world countries working as security officers and sales assistants in supermarkets but I've not heard of anyone coming from the UK, US, NZ , Canada or Europe having any problems at all.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by Dis-Illusionist
Thanks for the advice.

I learned yesterday that I would only get into BC or Manitoba as these are the only two places that code 1111-Accountants are under the OUP list (Occupations under Pressure list).

I've already had some good advice from JonBoyE with regards to employment in Vancouver. I'm also looking into Winnipeg. Any accountants out there in Winnipeg that could give some advice about working as an accountant there.

I qualified as ACCA as a Financial Accountant (ie in a practice) but have worked the last few years working in a Credit Union as a Management Accountant. Where do the majority of the jobs sit, in industry or in a Practice (ie doing Tax returns and small Company accounts).

Am also thinking of doing some IFRS course as my exposure to this is very limited.

Any advice would be great.
BC, I guess should be a good option because of the oil boom in Alberta. And another thing is, you've got to do some 'window dressing' to your resume at times to make it look better but please do not hype up too much as there is a high likelihood that these guys might do reference checks.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

usmank_canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi.. I'd like to mention that I've completed 13 papers of ACCA, attempted the final one, result awaited Aug 2008. I've also obtained BSc Hons Applied Accounting and obtained a upper second class honours. I've also done internship for 3 month period in PWC and have applied for the credit transfers into CGA. Would I have a tough time getting a decent entry level position in Canada?..
Old Aug 20th 2008, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Budgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really nice

Been a while since I've been on BE but I just checked the thread out again and can only agree again with those saying getting a good accounting role has not been doom and gloom in my case.

One final note - IFRS is a very hot area at the moment in Canada that will only escalate, so if you are waiting for PR and expect to land in the next 1-2 years and have the opportunity to gain IFRS exposure while you are waiting it would most likely be time and effort well spent IMHO.