Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

TIPS to GET Accountant JOB in Australia

TIPS to GET Accountant JOB in Australia

Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

helloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant future
Default TIPS to GET Accountant JOB in Australia

Hi Guys this thread is for those who plan to reach OZ in 2009& 2010 - Specially for Accountants

We can prepare ourselves according to OZ market

In this thread we can discuss about

Salary expectations
Accounting softwares
NIA
CPA
CA - OZ
Accounting Job Portal
Tips
Resume tips
Model Resumes
etc
Old Feb 9th 2009, 10:10 am
Just Joined

Gilly McG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TIPS to GET Accountant JOB in Australia

Hi, I am hoping to move to Perth in early 2010. I am a CIMA qualified accountant, with approx 5 years post qualification experience.

Not really had a serious look at the job front yet, apart from a scroll through some agency vacancies.

Look forward to talking to you as the visa application progresses and our dream starts to become reality!
Old Feb 9th 2009, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

your first stop as an ACMA/FCMA is to get your CPA status before you land - that way you'll have a recognised qualification here which will stand you in far better stead than just CIMA, especially right at the moment.

The agencies will happily chat to you, but won't go for anything more specific until you're actually here.

Good luck!
Old Feb 9th 2009, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Leedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the rough
Arrow Re: TIPS to GET Accountant JOB in Australia

Hi all,

Welcome on board.

There is a section for accountants in the discussion forum under "working abroad by profession".

A lot of questions are covered there. Head on over and some general queries will be answered.

I think CIMA and CPA Australia have an agreement in place.

Jobwise Australia has taken a knock like most countries, so expect the unexpected.

I am a FCCA, got assessed by ICAA in Apr 08 and got 8.5 avg in IELTS in Feb 2009. Expect to apply for 175 CSL in a few weeks

I worked in Melbourne during 2007 on a WHV and will be heading back hopefully in late 2009.

Nikil is correct in that you have to be in the country before any employers will take you seriously for a postion.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

hussain_2206 has a spectacular aura abouthussain_2206 has a spectacular aura abouthussain_2206 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Leedelta
Hi all,

Welcome on board.

There is a section for accountants in the discussion forum under "working abroad by profession".

A lot of questions are covered there. Head on over and some general queries will be answered.

Jobwise Australia has taken a knock like most countries, so expect the unexpected.

I am a FCCA, got assessed by ICAA in Apr 08 and got 8.5 avg in IELTS in Feb 2009. Expect to apply for 175 CSL in a few weeks

I worked in Melbourne during 2007 on a WHV and will be heading back hopefully in late 2009.

Nikil is correct in that you have to be in the country before any employers will take you seriously for a postion.
Hi Leedelta

I am also planning to move to melbourne and have already applied for 175 in feb 08.... could you please share your experience of working at melbourne and pascale for accountants. I am a professional cost & managment accountant. What is value of being a MNIA there.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

helloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant future

Thanks for all the feed backs a few days back I got some reply from my accountant friends

Regarding Accounting softwares MYOB,quick books,attache are leading ones

MYOB - You can download trial version from www.myob.com
and even quick book too you can add in your CV those are planning to land so soon others can practice as well

and Regarding australian CVs if any body needs help just scrap in this thread I have lot of australian CVs

and Regarding job sites please find the some important websites in next thread

Regards
Siva

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 10th 2009 at 7:30 pm. Reason: email address
Old Feb 10th 2009, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Thumbs up Re: TIPS to GET Accountant JOB in Australia

Welcome all of you

I think this thread started working well as a thread started I put some input now

Regarding accounting softwares MYOB and Quick BOOK taken the market both are very easy to learn you can download trial version for 90 days from websites and can practice

Any problems put a reply here
Old Feb 10th 2009, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hussain_2206
Hi Leedelta

I am also planning to move to melbourne and have already applied for 175 in feb 08.... could you please share your experience of working at melbourne and pascale for accountants. I am a professional cost & managment accountant. What is value of being a MNIA there.
Hi friend I asked so many of them same quarry NIA is less preferable than CPA and CA-Oz. You can done reassessment thru CPA and if you join they will reimbuse your fee refer CPA australia website.

You can just put as professional membership in CVthats it still its work out mate becoz its oz one got me

All the best
Old Feb 10th 2009, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Leedelta
Hi all,

Welcome on board.

Hi

yes I seen that forum but we can use this as purley for accountants like CIMA,NIA,CPA,CA and softwares, TIPS, Recuritment agencies, Real life experiences thanks mate
Old Feb 10th 2009, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

A good reply from an trainer

My Question

Dear Beverly,

Goo day. Let me introduce this is Siva from Zambia working as an Accountant. I filed already in DIAC GSM 175 Accountant. May be it will take an year to get a PR but I am in a bit hurry and curiosity to know some info. I tried in all the way but I am not satisfied their answers. If you dont mind please answer of few of my questions

I am Indian national working in Africa as an chief accountant with a yearly take home of US$24000 ( All other expenses like car,house,visa, air passage paid by company) its good way of earing money let say if I work in next 10 years I can make around US$400,000 as net savings on Negative side of this prospectus we can consider Lack of professional growth, saftey issue, life will be in a small circle, can go home after every year or two, childern and family will be away from you

If I immigrate to australia with my wife she is also an accountant we can put together our earing I can assure we can save around Same 400,000 K in Oz too. But may be intial years we need to struggle some how I think its take an year to establish I hope. Please I need your view on this

Answer

Hello Siva

Thank you for writing to me. You said you had some questions but only ask for my ‘view’ so I hope my reply addresses your concerns.

Please be realistic about what you will earn in Australia , look at the job adverts and check the salaries. There is fierce competition for accountancy jobs, local educational levels are high and the big four firms are currently shedding employees. Criteria for selection is firstly, spoken and written language, secondly, relevant Australian experience and lastly qualifications and commercial ability. New immigrants often need to take a step backwards or sideways and climb the ladder and some qualified professionals find it easier to drive taxis.

The other side of the coin is cost of living. Have you looked at rental levels, cost of food, education, health insurance, transport and necessities for your growing family. Sydney is one of the most expensive cities in the world and it takes much more than one year to settle in any new home.

I do not wish to paint a bleak picture as many people thrive here; it can be the lucky country. My advice to you is to contact accountants in Australia who have come from Africa or India and ask them their real experiences. Try working for Australian owned companies overseas and get to understand the culture, apply for jobs here before you arrive and build up a reliable network of people here who can help you find a job.

You may have just the right skills and qualities to land your ideal job and make your dreams come true, but please do your research first.

:curse:
Old Feb 10th 2009, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by helloshivahere
Hi

yes I seen that forum but we can use this as purley for accountants like CIMA,NIA,CPA,CA and softwares, TIPS, Recuritment agencies, Real life experiences thanks mate
Hi Leedelta

Can you share someof your oz exp it can help us

Siva
Old Feb 10th 2009, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Arrow Re: TIPS to GET Accountant JOB in Australia

Job out look - Accountant

http://joboutlook.gov.au/Pages/occup...ter=&code=2211
Old Feb 10th 2009, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NikiL
your first stop as an ACMA/FCMA is to get your CPA status before you land - that way you'll have a recognised qualification here which will stand you in far better stead than just CIMA, especially right at the moment.

The agencies will happily chat to you, but won't go for anything more specific until you're actually here.

Good luck!
HI I want to know is it possible to CPAfrom outside oz i just statred CIMA hope no use in OZ

am I right or any value for cima
Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helloshivahere
HI I want to know is it possible to CPAfrom outside oz i just statred CIMA hope no use in OZ

am I right or any value for cima
Well, I am CIMA qualified and found a job without too many problems towards the end of last year,and I don't yet have CPA status but I do work for an international organisation which may be a stronger factor in the recognition of my CIMA qualification. This was however before the crunch really started and CPA, like it or not, is more recognised here than CIMA. There have been numerous posts on this matter, some feel that it should be as well recognised as a local qualification, but I personally feel that there is no real reason why it should be. It makes sense for employers to prefer the qualification they know and understand, especially in a tougher economic climate.

As to whether you can study CPA from outside Australia, their website should be able to tell you, failing that contact them and ask them - I've found CPA to be unfailingly helpful. Depending on how far through CIMA you are you may wish to continue with that and use the reciprocal agreement to obtain CPA status once you have full membership of CIMA.

http://www.cpaaustralia.com.au/cps/r...xsl/index.html
Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NikiL
Well, I am CIMA qualified and found a job without too many problems towards the end of last year,and I don't yet have CPA status but I do work for an international organisation which may be a stronger factor in the recognition of my CIMA qualification. This was however before the crunch really started and CPA, like it or not, is more recognised here than CIMA. There have been numerous posts on this matter, some feel that it should be as well recognised as a local qualification, but I personally feel that there is no real reason why it should be. It makes sense for employers to prefer the qualification they know and understand, especially in a tougher economic climate.

As to whether you can study CPA from outside Australia, their website should be able to tell you, failing that contact them and ask them - I've found CPA to be unfailingly helpful. Depending on how far through CIMA you are you may wish to continue with that and use the reciprocal agreement to obtain CPA status once you have full membership of CIMA.

http://www.cpaaustralia.com.au/cps/r...xsl/index.html
Thanks Nikil. but my bad time before I start analyse I invested money in CIMA I know it wont be a loss but its a good international qualification.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.