Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

Recognition of UK Open University degree

Recognition of UK Open University degree

Old Oct 28th 2009, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Timelord is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recognition of UK Open University degree

Hi everyone,

I am considering submitting my application for the Skills Assessment for accountants.

I currently holds a degree from The Open University, UK. Does anyone knows if the OUUK degree is deemed to equivalent to an Australia University degree?
Old Oct 28th 2009, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recognition of UK Open University degree

An Open University degree is equivalent to a degree from any other UK university and in turn I feel sure is equivalent to an Australian degree. What I am not sure about is whether this is sufficient for Accountancy skills assessment. I guess that depends upon content.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
An Open University degree is equivalent to a degree from any other UK university and in turn I feel sure is equivalent to an Australian degree. What I am not sure about is whether this is sufficient for Accountancy skills assessment. I guess that depends upon content.
Hi there,

Thank you for your reply.

I do not cover all the required core subjects in my degree program so it is already within my expectation that I must do the bridging subjects. However, in order to do the bridging programs, the main requirement would be to have my degree certified as being equivalent to an Australian degree.

The degree I have is conferred by OUUK itself but the degree program is a validated program that was offered by their partner institution. Although it is strictly speaking still an OUUK degree, it still doesn't stops me from worrying about it.

I have seen similar questions being asked in some threads here and in other forums. However I have yet to see anyone coming forward to say that they have done it successfully.

I really hope that anyone who have done it successful shares his or her experience here.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 5:42 pm
Banned

Koolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Timelord
Hi everyone,

I am considering submitting my application for the Skills Assessment for accountants.

I currently holds a degree from The Open University, UK. Does anyone knows if the OUUK degree is deemed to equivalent to an Australia University degree?
Eh, I would really do my homework mate. Some of these degrees on open university dont get highly recognised by employers. Ranking of uni is important, it will get you the leverage you need to progress further
Old Nov 12th 2009, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Koolio
Eh, I would really do my homework mate. Some of these degrees on open university dont get highly recognised by employers. Ranking of uni is important, it will get you the leverage you need to progress further
Hi Koolio,

Can you perhaps indicate which are the course(s) that you are referring to and the reason for saying so?

Anyway, the issue here is whether Australia accepts it to be as good as Australia degree. The questions of how employers view the degree is secondary as it will only be important after one manages to get the visa to move there.