Part-Qual

Old Aug 18th 2005, 1:40 pm
Banned

amansingh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Part-Qual

Hiya all,

I'm CIMA part-qual. I have several years of accountancy experience: Month end, closing, cost/margin analysis, intercompany etc.

Does anyone know whether these skills are in demand even if I'm not fully qualified? I have plenty of offers in the UK and was wondering if Aus (particularly Syndey) is the same.

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 6:35 am
Just Joined

kloid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Part-Qual

Originally Posted by amansingh
Hiya all,

I'm CIMA part-qual. I have several years of accountancy experience: Month end, closing, cost/margin analysis, intercompany etc.

Does anyone know whether these skills are in demand even if I'm not fully qualified? I have plenty of offers in the UK and was wondering if Aus (particularly Syndey) is the same.

Thanks in advance
Hi there,

The skills you mention would certainly be useful in Australian companies. Management accounting is very similar in Australia to what it is in the UK. I'm almost CIMA qualified and the main problem I found is that a lot of Aussie managers don't know what CIMA is, and if it's a worthwhile qualification i.e. comparable to the CPA/CA. Some of them seem to think it's a qualification that you can pick up in a couple of months! If you're lucky enough to get an interview with either a Pommy, or someone who knows what CIMA is then you should be OK. If not, then just make sure you capitalise on your work experience as that still counts for a hell of a lot.

Cheers
Dan
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 3:15 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya all,

Thanks in advance

What kind of visa are you planning to get?

Jeremy
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 3:18 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kloid
Hi there,

The skills you mention would certainly be useful in Australian companies. Management accounting is very similar in Australia to what it is in the UK. I'm almost CIMA qualified and the main problem I found is that a lot of Aussie managers don't know what CIMA is, and if it's a worthwhile qualification i.e. comparable to the CPA/CA. Some of them seem to think it's a qualification that you can pick up in a couple of months! If you're lucky enough to get an interview with either a Pommy, or someone who knows what CIMA is then you should be OK. If not, then just make sure you capitalise on your work experience as that still counts for a hell of a lot.

Cheers
Dan

The CIMA Australia office can probably provide you with a list of recruitment consultants who are familiar with the UK. Many Australian consultants have lived in the UK for a number of years, or are from the UK themselves.

CIMA Australia work quite closely with the Australian CAs (ICAA) - their Australia office is in the same building as ICAA's headquarters. It is worth looking into the strategic alliance between CIMA and ICAA - usually it means exemption from two out of the five subjects in the CA Program. And ICAA is more flexible on work experience than many other 'chartered' bodies.

You can't get a skill assessment for migration as an accountant (ie if you need the 60 points) unless you have a degree in accountancy (equivalent to an Australian bachelors) or you are a fully qualified member of a recognised overseas accounting body.

Jeremy
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 6:09 pm
Banned

amansingh is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your post guys.

I am going to move on a skilled visa (wife is a nurse).

I hope Oz is like the UK, where skills and work experience count more than quals!

Any idea what the demand is like?

Any idea what a part-qual accountant can expect in Sydney.

Is it less than the thames valley?

Here the going rate seems to be 15+ per hour
or 30k+ per annum
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 6:40 pm
JAJ
Retired

Thanks for your post guys.

I am going to move on a skilled visa (wife is a nurse).

I hope Oz is like the UK, where skills and work experience count more than quals!

Any idea what the demand is like?

Any idea what a part-qual accountant can expect in Sydney.

Is it less than the thames valley?

Here the going rate seems to be 15+ per hour
or 30k+ per annum

check the employment websites like http://www.seek.com.au

You will be more employable when you have a full qualification. Whether you should stick with CIMA and complete that in Australia (and do Aus CA afterwards), or switch to Australian CA or CPA, really depends on how much of CIMA you've completed.

Jeremy