Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

overseas qualified chartered accountant in Australia

overseas qualified chartered accountant in Australia

Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

asadmasad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default overseas qualified chartered accountant in Australia

Hi

I'm a qualified chartered accountant from Pakistan, and an associate member of Institute of Chartered Accountants of Pakistan; plus I also have a Bachelors of Commerce degree from University of Karachi. I'll be moving to Australia in the next few months on a Permanent Resident Visa. I was wondering whether you could help me with my following queries:

1. Being a member of ICAP and a graduate from a recognised university, will I be considered for any opening in Accounting / Audit firms (if and when any vacancy arises), including their graduate entry programs? Or is it that only Australian qualified graduates are considered for any openings, including the Graduate Program?

2. If I undertake only the bridging studies (as non-award course), as required by ICAA, then will I be in a better position to be considered for any vacancy?

3. If I undertake the bridging studies as part of a graduate diploma/certificate, then will I be in a better position to be considered for any vacancy?

4. ICAP has an MoU with ICAEW whereby members of ICAP are entitled to ICAEW membership after passing the Advanced Stage papers and Case Study of ICAEW. If I obtain ICAEW membership through this route, then will I be in an even better position to apply for any vacancy in Australia?

Thanks and kind regards.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 2:29 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: overseas qualified chartered accountant in Australia

1. Your qualifications may not be accepted by employers as equivalent to Australian.

2. You should plan to become an Australian CA as soon as possible.

3. Becoming ICAEW qualified will help a little, but doesn't change point #2.

4. Anything additional you can do to get Australian qualifications will help.