Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

NIA - learn & sit exams in the UK or Ireland - Is this possible?

NIA - learn & sit exams in the UK or Ireland - Is this possible?

Old Mar 25th 2009, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Desertwombat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NIA - learn & sit exams in the UK or Ireland - Is this possible?

Hi guys,

I`m an ACCA student (soon to be member). I see NIA offer the PNA status after completion of Law and Tax exams. My question is:

Is it possible to study for and sit the tax and law exams abroad? UK or Ireland?

If so, can someone direct me to a site that gives details on this and exam centers.

I can find loads of stuff for CPA distance learning and sitting exams abroad but am finding it very difficult to find clear info on this for NIA's PNA status. I have e-mailed NIA twice and have receive no reply both times.

Thanks for all replys
Old Mar 31st 2009, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

andybhoyperth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NIA - learn & sit exams in the UK or Ireland - Is this possible?

Originally Posted by Desertwombat
Hi guys,

I`m an ACCA student (soon to be member). I see NIA offer the PNA status after completion of Law and Tax exams. My question is:

Is it possible to study for and sit the tax and law exams abroad? UK or Ireland?

If so, can someone direct me to a site that gives details on this and exam centers.

I can find loads of stuff for CPA distance learning and sitting exams abroad but am finding it very difficult to find clear info on this for NIA's PNA status. I have e-mailed NIA twice and have receive no reply both times.

Thanks for all replys
Hi Desert Wombat,
I have a Uk accountancy degree and had my skills assessed by NIA a couple of years ago, and I got the same that I would have to do tax and law to become a member. I then got an invite to become a member in Dec08 without doing the exams!!
I'm thinking of jumping ships to CPA, and will find out more when I go on holiday in May to Oz. The reason being that when searching for jobs on Seek.com.au and the michael page website, CPA is mentioned more, and I haven't actually seen anything for NIA yet. Might be worth looking at which is the more respected qualification / membership before studying.
If you still want to contact NIA, then try [email protected] who is the international development co-ordinator. She has replied to my mails before.
cheers
Old Apr 1st 2009, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desertwombat

Yes, you can do the course as a long distance course and then sit the 3 hour exam at an overseas exam centre - for example Dublin, London, Manchester (see link to exam centres below).

Anyway, the course (covers both subjects) is with the University of Southern Queensland: www.usq.edu.au

When you are on the website put in course code LAW5219 and it takes you to the course info page. Or use this link: http://www.usq.edu.au/course/synopses/2009/LAW5219.html

This course is approved by all the Aus accounting bodies as a "conversion course".

There is some blurb on the page that special approval is required from the head of the law school for enrolment, but that isn't true. When you enrol you simply state that you do this course for future NIA membership.

You can enrol online:
https://usqfocus.usq.edu.au/transace...dsuregform.asp

On the form you see the field for exam centre (need to enter a code here). Next to the field is a clickable link. Click on it. Takes you to a new page. Scroll down and click on the PDF file. This has the list of all exam centres and the code that needs to go into teh field on the form.

Remember that if you already have your PR visa to choose the correct option for paying fees from the drop-down menu, i.e. "Granted Permanent Resident Status" (PR visa holders even if still living outside Australia are classed as domestic students. You are NOT an international student if you already have your PR visa.)
Old Apr 1st 2009, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure LAW5219 is approved by ALL the accounting bodies? I did that course as it was on the list I was sent when I got my skills assessment from the ICAA, but it no longer appears on the current list - http://www.charteredaccountants.com....0aud_FINAL.pdf. Fortunately it doesn't matter (other than the irritation factor) to me, as I am an FCA and don't now need to do conversion exams, but I wonder what would happen if I was not and now applied to join.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

Desertwombat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
Yes, you can do the course as a long distance course and then sit the 3 hour exam at an overseas exam centre - for example Dublin, London, Manchester (see link to exam centres below).

Anyway, the course (covers both subjects) is with the University of Southern Queensland: www.usq.edu.au

When you are on the website put in course code LAW5219 and it takes you to the course info page. Or use this link: http://www.usq.edu.au/course/synopses/2009/LAW5219.html

This course is approved by all the Aus accounting bodies as a "conversion course".

There is some blurb on the page that special approval is required from the head of the law school for enrolment, but that isn't true. When you enrol you simply state that you do this course for future NIA membership.

You can enrol online:
https://usqfocus.usq.edu.au/transace...dsuregform.asp

On the form you see the field for exam centre (need to enter a code here). Next to the field is a clickable link. Click on it. Takes you to a new page. Scroll down and click on the PDF file. This has the list of all exam centres and the code that needs to go into teh field on the form.

Remember that if you already have your PR visa to choose the correct option for paying fees from the drop-down menu, i.e. "Granted Permanent Resident Status" (PR visa holders even if still living outside Australia are classed as domestic students. You are NOT an international student if you already have your PR visa.)
1. So would these exams along with my ACCA qualification be enough to gain NIA membership at PNA level?

2. Furthermore, if going the CPA route, would these exams be required in addition to the six exams required for CPA? or would they give exemptions in a few of the six exams?

Thanks for all comments!