Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

Newly Qualified ACCA - Oz options

Newly Qualified ACCA - Oz options

Old May 31st 2010, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

mull2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newly Qualified ACCA - Oz options

Hi Guys,

I am a newly qualified ACCA, 4.5 years experience working in a medium sized firm in Ireland. Was made redundant early this year, fairly happy about that as I didn't really like my employers but thats another story!

Basically there are no accounting jobs in Ireland, being looking for the last 2-3 months and I am just bored of it at this stage. Would really like to get experience in Industry.

Would like to move to either Melbourne or Sydney. Having read alot of threads in this forum, I am quite worried as ACCA does not seem to be recognised down under and I would rather not start doing more exams as moving to Oz would only be a short term move (1-2 years WHV). To add to this worry I do not have a degree, went straight into doing ACCA exams following the accounting tech qualification. Would I have any hope of gaining employment in Oz?

Thanks for reading,

Adrian
Old May 31st 2010, 3:23 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newly Qualified ACCA - Oz options

What's your plan to get an Australian visa?

(unless you're already an Australian or New Zealand citizen).
Old May 31st 2010, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
What's your plan to get an Australian visa?

(unless you're already an Australian or New Zealand citizen).
No I am an Irish citizen. My plan is to go on a one year working holiday visa, if things go well then maybe get sponsored. Who knows!!
Old May 31st 2010, 5:32 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mull2010
No I am an Irish citizen. My plan is to go on a one year working holiday visa, if things go well then maybe get sponsored. Who knows!!
Perhaps. You should be aware that ACCA is not well recognised by employers in Australia. If you end up doing casual/unskilled work, you may no longer be eligible to migrate permanently.

As of now, it is recognised for migration purposes, as it's given credit as being an accounting degree. But rules are getting tighter and that might change in the near future (you might need to be an Australian CA or CPA in order to migrate). Perhaps get your skill assessment done now?

If you apply before 1 July you may get an assessment valid for 5 years, otherwise it will be 2 years.
Old May 31st 2010, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Do you definitely only intend to go to Australia for a year or two? And on a WHV? If this is the case, then you might find it difficult to find an accounting position anyway. I am not saying it is impossible to find professional work on a WHV, but there is a lot of competition and you would be at a distinct disadvantage.

If you would like to move to Australia on a more permanent basis, then I agree with JAJ, get your skills assessment now and even get the visa application in as soon as you can as you have to have recent work experience to qualify. If you go to Australia on a WHV you might end up without recent work experience.

I am ACCA and am in Sydney at the moment, on a validation trip but we decided to test the job markets. I have not faced any issues over a lack of ACCA recognition, but I believe that work experience comes into it and in the early years I believe that the qualifying body has more relevance than it does later on.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 9:41 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all your thoughts. Definitely only thinking one or two years there on WHV but never say never.

Excuse my ignorance but what is this skills assessment and where do I find out about it?
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mull2010
Thanks for all your thoughts. Definitely only thinking one or two years there on WHV but never say never.

Excuse my ignorance but what is this skills assessment and where do I find out about it?
A skills assessment is something you would have to do if you wanted to apply for one of the permanent skilled migrant visas.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

stephen284362 is just really nicestephen284362 is just really nicestephen284362 is just really nicestephen284362 is just really nicestephen284362 is just really nicestephen284362 is just really nicestephen284362 is just really nicestephen284362 is just really nicestephen284362 is just really nicestephen284362 is just really nicestephen284362 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I am ACCA and am in Sydney at the moment, on a validation trip but we decided to test the job markets. I have not faced any issues over a lack of ACCA recognition, but I believe that work experience comes into it and in the early years I believe that the qualifying body has more relevance than it does later on.
How is the job market in Sydney?
I am FCCA and will be moving over next summer (damn finances are holding me back!) with my Perm Res Visa which was validated at the end of summer last year.
I am in the process of becoming ACA through the Examination of Experience, just seems to make sense to have Chartered for the Oz market (due to ACCA's lower recognition).
Will be seriously job searching in the last 3 months before I go, so obviously things change, but just wondered how things were at the moment.

Ooops, just noted that you are moving today!!! Good luck with everything!

Last edited by stephen284362; Jul 6th 2010 at 11:13 am.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by stephen284362
How is the job market in Sydney?
I am FCCA and will be moving over next summer (damn finances are holding me back!) with my Perm Res Visa which was validated at the end of summer last year.
I am in the process of becoming ACA through the Examination of Experience, just seems to make sense to have Chartered for the Oz market (due to ACCA's lower recognition).
Will be seriously job searching in the last 3 months before I go, so obviously things change, but just wondered how things were at the moment.

Ooops, just noted that you are moving today!!! Good luck with everything!
Stephen, firstly you should definitely know and make clear to anyone that asks that your own qualification is also chartered and whilst you are not ACA you are perfectly entitled to call yourself "chartered". What do you think one of those C's stands for.

I agree that ACA is more prestigiuos than ACCA, even in UK, though so I know where you are coming from. If getting a mutual recognition is something you can do then might as well do that.

My own observation is that I have not had anyone focus on my qualification at any point. They can see I am a UK qualified accountant and are more interested in my experience than anything else. I have discussed it with agents but only because I brought it up following things I had read on BE, the agents to a last said it is no problem whatsoever. I also found that to be the case and start work on Monday.

Good luck.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

stephen284362 is just really nicestephen284362 is just really nicestephen284362 is just really nicestephen284362 is just really nicestephen284362 is just really nicestephen284362 is just really nicestephen284362 is just really nicestephen284362 is just really nicestephen284362 is just really nicestephen284362 is just really nicestephen284362 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Stephen, firstly you should definitely know and make clear to anyone that asks that your own qualification is also chartered and whilst you are not ACA you are perfectly entitled to call yourself "chartered". What do you think one of those C's stands for.

I agree that ACA is more prestigiuos than ACCA, even in UK, though so I know where you are coming from. If getting a mutual recognition is something you can do then might as well do that.

My own observation is that I have not had anyone focus on my qualification at any point. They can see I am a UK qualified accountant and are more interested in my experience than anything else. I have discussed it with agents but only because I brought it up following things I had read on BE, the agents to a last said it is no problem whatsoever. I also found that to be the case and start work on Monday.

Good luck.
I know, it's just brainwashing! In London, they tend to call ACA "Chartereds" and ACCA "Certifieds", I guess it is just a habit I've gotten into!

Yeah, my thoughts too, no harm in having both if it is easy to do.

It is positive that they tend to focus on experience (which makes sense!), and hopefully it will get me the type of job I am after.

Hope the flight went smoothly and the very best of luck in your new job.
Keep us posted (as I'm sure you will!).