Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

Master of Professional Accounting - RMIT or Victoria Uni?

Master of Professional Accounting - RMIT or Victoria Uni?

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

tnixol is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Master of Professional Accounting - RMIT or Victoria Uni?

Hello,

I arrived Melbourne finally late last year and would like to go for MPA degree for the purpose of starting a career in Accounting ( I have an IT backgroud). However, I am a bit confused as to which University is better for the programme between RMIT and Victoria University . Can anyone please help me? Which of these Universities has more reputation - I guess repuation of schools one attended is a factor in getting jobs in Australia.

Thanks for your assistance.

Tnixol
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 1:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Master of Professional Accounting - RMIT or Victoria Uni?

Neither university is part of the Group of Eight. (the top universities). Melbourne and Monash are the two Victorian universities in the Go8.

The other question is do you know if the courses are fully accredited by ICAA and CPAA?

What will be your visa status?
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 2:54 am
Just Joined

tnixol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Neither university is part of the Group of Eight. (the top universities). Melbourne and Monash are the two Victorian universities in the Go8.

The other question is do you know if the courses are fully accredited by ICAA and CPAA?

What will be your visa status?
Thanks for your response. Yes the courses are fully accredited by ICPAA and CPAA. As per my visa status, I have a PR visa.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 3:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tnixol
Thanks for your response. Yes the courses are fully accredited by ICPAA and CPAA. As per my visa status, I have a PR visa.
You should consider the relative pros and cons of doing a similarly accredited course at the University of Melbourne, or even Monash University - both of these are members of the Group or Eight.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

chandugitam has a brilliant futurechandugitam has a brilliant futurechandugitam has a brilliant futurechandugitam has a brilliant futurechandugitam has a brilliant futurechandugitam has a brilliant futurechandugitam has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JAJ
You should consider the relative pros and cons of doing a similarly accredited course at the University of Melbourne, or even Monash University - both of these are members of the Group or Eight.
Hi Jaj,
I am working as a BA and interested in doing IT courses. I have shortlisted MBIT from Melbourne University but want to know if there are any other better reputed courses.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 1:42 am
Just Joined

normansymons is an unknown quantity at this point

I have recently graduated from RMIT University with a Master of Professional Accounting and found a graduate accountants job (above maket rate salary) easily - shortly after finishing my last exam paper and before graduation. RMIT is a very well respected and well known university in Melbourne (particularly in industry) but it is not a (GO8 - Group of 8). It is not a prestige University like Monash or Melbourne University. RMIT gained it's reputation in the old days as a "working men's college" and has since established itself within the Melbourne community as a practical place to go to to get skills.

Honestly, it dosen't matter which university you get your MPA degree. From my experience, MPA degree is a fairly new type of accounting degree in the Australian public accounting scene. The MPA is a graduate conversion coursework (not research) degree designed for people without an undergraduate accounting degree to change careers into the accounting profession. It is really technically no different to an undergraduate accounting degree. In job interview's I would sell myself no differently as having an undergraduate degree - and that goes down very well with employers.

I have met many RMIT graduates working in the Big 4 accounting firms. In fact, it is RMIT's undergraduate Bachelor degree in Accounting (with the Co-op 'sandwich year') has a great reputation and seems to be well received by all the accounting firms (especially the Big 4).

Before enrolling in RMIT, I was seriously contemplating Victoria University's MPA but soon realised that VIC University does not have the same industry recognition as RMIT School of Accounting & Law. I had a friend at Victoria University who studied there and said great things about it. The administration on the other hand did get her enrolments mixed up which kind of put me off enroling in Victoria University. MPA's in all university have the same content and they are all RECOGNISED by the ICAA and CPA Australia - which is the MOST IMPORTANT CONSIDERATION YOU SHOULD MAKE.

The question is "Are you willing to pay several thousand dollars more for a GO8 university degree" when you can get an equally recognised MPA at a non-GO8 for a lesser fee?" Why would you want to pay a premium when all you want is an accounting degree that is recognised and will satisfy the requirements of the ICAA and CPA Australia?

I found RMIT University's MPA program to be good. I'll give it 7 out of 10 on the scoreboard for overall experience, IT facilities and technical skills learned. The best part about the RMIT MPA degree is that it is flexible. It offered night & weekend classes in the city which was more suited to my needs as I work full-time in the city. The other MPA programs could not offer that flexibility back then. There were a couple lecturers that I didn't like, and you feel like you are a number in a bigger administrative machine. Then again, thats the same with all universities. But overall I found RMIT's MPA to be good and would recommend it to anyone.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

petermunger is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Norman,

Congratulations on passing the MPA and getting your accountancy job too.

I like the idea of doing the MPA at evening, and at weekends, in the same manner that you did. It would allow me to work in a full-time job while doing the course.

Do you happen to know if Charles Darwin University are as equally flexible as the university that you went to?

And can I ask how long it took you to do the course?

Kind Regards,

Peter
Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:33 am
Just Joined

normansymons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by petermunger
Hi Norman,

Congratulations on passing the MPA and getting your accountancy job too.

I like the idea of doing the MPA at evening, and at weekends, in the same manner that you did. It would allow me to work in a full-time job while doing the course.

Do you happen to know if Charles Darwin University are as equally flexible as the university that you went to?

And can I ask how long it took you to do the course?

Kind Regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thankyou .

With regards to doing the MPA at Charles Darwin University, from my initial research on their website, I don't think they offer the flexibility of evening classes. It is best to contact them on
Email:
[email protected]
Phone:
(08) 8946 7766 or freecall 1800 061 963

and speak to them directly about this. I can only presume that their campuses are not in high density metropolitan areas and therefore do not have the same level of demand for night classes.

It took me 3.5 years to complete my MPA (I failed Taxation Law the first time ). Normally it would take 3 years part-time (doing 2 subjects a semester or 1.5 years full-time (4 subjects a semester).

Kind regards,
Norman
Old Aug 28th 2008, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

petermunger is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Norman,

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Peter