Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

Higher ranks. Just for friendship?

Higher ranks. Just for friendship?

Old Dec 25th 2009, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

charw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant future
Default Higher ranks. Just for friendship?

In my country to fill a key position through outside recruitment; advertising is the norm. But in reality most selectees are friend's of existing employees & others who try to come through normal interview process are at a disadvantage even if they are competent enough. This is particularly evident in accounting field.

Is this same in Aussie?

What is your view? You accept this practice?
Old Dec 27th 2009, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Higher ranks. Just for friendship?

Originally Posted by charw
In my country to fill a key position through outside recruitment; advertising is the norm. But in reality most selectees are friend's of existing employees & others who try to come through normal interview process are at a disadvantage even if they are competent enough. This is particularly evident in accounting field.

Is this same in Aussie?

What is your view? You accept this practice?
It happens, but it happens in a lot of countries. Networking is always a factor, especially the more senior you get. Thats why so many people do it

Its certainly not going to be a detrimental factor in you getting a job here if thats what your concern is.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

charw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Higher ranks. Just for friendship?

Originally Posted by NikiL
It happens, but it happens in a lot of countries. Networking is always a factor, especially the more senior you get. Thats why so many people do it

Its certainly not going to be a detrimental factor in you getting a job here if thats what your concern is.
Thanks for much awaited reply..

You mean 'here' in Aussie? You reckon without much networking new migrants are welcome to at least middle level jobs in accoutancy provided they have sufficient exposure?
Old Dec 27th 2009, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

You mean 'here' in Aussie? You reckon without much networking new migrants are welcome to at least middle level jobs in accoutancy provided they have sufficient exposure?
I'm a senior financial accountant, got the job a year ago (at the start of the downturn so there were a fair few accountants about in competition for the role). Took about 6 weeks for me to get a permanent position and one of the key factors was my previous experience with mergers. So yes, the right exposure can still get you in without the networking.

What I would recommend is to get a few weeks contract work first while you're looking - you can take your time to get the right job with money still coming in and it gives you some local experience as well which will always stand you in good stead.

I was also asked a few weeks into my new job if I wanted to apply for a job at the place I'd been contracting - so it does cut both ways!
Old Dec 28th 2009, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Wirelessly posted (NokiaN73-1/4.0750.31.2.1 Series60/3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I'm a senior financial accountant, got the job a year ago (at the start of the downturn so there were a fair few accountants about in competition for the role). Took about 6 weeks for me to get a permanent position and one of the key factors was my previous experience with mergers. So yes, the right exposure can still get you in without the networking.

What I would recommend is to get a few weeks contract work first while you're looking - you can take your time to get the right job with money still coming in and it gives you some local experience as well which will always stand you in good stead.

I was also asked a few weeks into my new job if I wanted to apply for a job at the place I'd been contracting - so it does cut both ways!
Thanks Nikil. I m in nail biting stage of my PR. CO allocated but not granted yet.
I m from South Asia. What would be the best time period in a given year to secure a permanent job. ? is it 1st quater?
Is there a tendency towards marginalizing Asian when it come to hiring?
Old Jan 1st 2010, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wirelessly posted (NokiaN73-1/4.0750.31.2.1 Series60/3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Thanks Nikil. I m in nail biting stage of my PR. CO allocated but not granted yet.
I m from South Asia. What would be the best time period in a given year to secure a permanent job. ? is it 1st quater?
Look, we're coming out of the biggest global financial crisis to hit since you or I started working. There is no means of saying when the best time of year is to job hunt. A recruitment consultant I work closely with reckons the market will pick up in the first quarter of 2010 (and he's been saying that for 6 months) and it does seem to be improving now.

Recruitment agencies will be in a better position to give you a more definitive answer - while they won't job hunt until you're here they do tend to be very open to talk you through the local situation before you arrive and how your specific experience will fit the market.

I don;t believe there is any discrimination other than liking local (i.e Aussie) experience, which comes down to knowing Australian taxation and reporting requirements - entirely understandable in a market where there is a surplus of accountants in particular. But that preference is for experience, not nationality,and any national can gain that experience. Certainly no issue with any nationality when it comes to recruiting that I've come across or heard of personally.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Look, we're coming out of the biggest global financial crisis to hit since you or I started working. There is no means of saying when the best time of year is to job hunt. A recruitment consultant I work closely with reckons the market will pick up in the first quarter of 2010 (and he's been saying that for 6 months) and it does seem to be improving now.

Recruitment agencies will be in a better position to give you a more definitive answer - while they won't job hunt until you're here they do tend to be very open to talk you through the local situation before you arrive and how your specific experience will fit the market.

I don;t believe there is any discrimination other than liking local (i.e Aussie) experience, which comes down to knowing Australian taxation and reporting requirements - entirely understandable in a market where there is a surplus of accountants in particular. But that preference is for experience, not nationality,and any national can gain that experience. Certainly no issue with any nationality when it comes to recruiting that I've come across or heard of personally.
Thanks nikil. I got qualified with CIMA back in 2007 at age of 23. Ever since I ve heard that there is an over supply of accountants . Further its evident that many tend to migrate when they are not confident on the perks they can get to fulfill the ROI they desire which is in line with the hard work to qualify( I think this is mostly do with Asians). Recent move by DIAC to increase IELTS 7 is commended to contain numbers. My concern is why these major accounting bodies do not control number of qualified to keep the demand in order. In my country market is saturated beyond reasonable numbers. Can you all share your views on above?
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks nikil. I got qualified with CIMA back in 2007 at age of 23. Ever since I ve heard that there is an over supply of accountants . Further its evident that many tend to migrate when they are not confident on the perks they can get to fulfill the ROI they desire which is in line with the hard work to qualify( I think this is mostly do with Asians). Recent move by DIAC to increase IELTS 7 is commended to contain numbers. My concern is why these major accounting bodies do not control number of qualified to keep the demand in order. In my country market is saturated beyond reasonable numbers. Can you all share your views on above?
I don't believe that the bodies containing the number of qualified accountants would be beneficial to anyone personally. Supply and demand always fluctuates in a recession, and by all accounts prior to the GFC if you were qualified with solid experience you would have had no problem finding a job. I think DIAC's move to increase the IELTS standard is positive, but not from a containing numbers perspective, but from a quality of candidate perspective as strong communication skills are so important in what we do.

I peronally feel that Asian migrants have a very strong position in the workforce - where Austalia has many business links to Asian countries, migrants from these countries can bring a better understanding of the business culture there, which can be very different to the culture here. Understanding how the two cultures work can be incredibly beneficial to working relationships in a global business.

The time people migrate is a very individual one, I can't honestly comment on that one I'm afraid - I'm not in their shoes or their lives, its a very personal choice.