Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

General Query - UK Accountants Emigrating

General Query - UK Accountants Emigrating

Old Mar 26th 2009, 11:08 am
GBG
Just Joined

GBG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default General Query - UK Accountants Emigrating

Hi All,

I'm an ACCA Affiliate (not a member as need a couple of years more practical relevant experience to fully qualify).

I've noticed a few threads on here regarding CIMA/ACCA qualified accountants struggling to find work in Australia & New Zealand and would just like some general info from those in the know.

1) How has the job market for qualified accountants changed in Australia and New Zealand over the last couple of years (e.g. was it once 'easy' to find work as and ACCA/CIMA qualified UK emigrant accountant and has it now become harder)?

2) There is a lot of info about Mutual Recognition Agreements and the potential difficulty that an absence of these play in a job search for those who are, in particular, ACCA qualified. Are there any ACCAs out there who have successfully emigrated to Australia or New Zealand and what did they have to do to make the transition successful professionally (e.g. did you need to re-qualify with a local accountancy body or were you able to forge a successful career based on you ACCA qualification and UK experience?)

Any info from those in the know would be appreciated, however particularly from ACCAs who have recent experience of emigrating to either Australia or New Zealand.

Yours,

GBG.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

louH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud of
Default Re: General Query - UK Accountants Emigrating

Originally Posted by GBG
Hi All,

I'm an ACCA Affiliate (not a member as need a couple of years more practical relevant experience to fully qualify).

I've noticed a few threads on here regarding CIMA/ACCA qualified accountants struggling to find work in Australia & New Zealand and would just like some general info from those in the know.

1) How has the job market for qualified accountants changed in Australia and New Zealand over the last couple of years (e.g. was it once 'easy' to find work as and ACCA/CIMA qualified UK emigrant accountant and has it now become harder)?

2) There is a lot of info about Mutual Recognition Agreements and the potential difficulty that an absence of these play in a job search for those who are, in particular, ACCA qualified. Are there any ACCAs out there who have successfully emigrated to Australia or New Zealand and what did they have to do to make the transition successful professionally (e.g. did you need to re-qualify with a local accountancy body or were you able to forge a successful career based on you ACCA qualification and UK experience?)

Any info from those in the know would be appreciated, however particularly from ACCAs who have recent experience of emigrating to either Australia or New Zealand.

Yours,

GBG.
I am ACCA when I moved here (Oz) 2.5 years ago I was beating off employers with a big stick. Found a role very quickly as a Finance Director. I did not and will not take Aussie quals, they are at a lower standard than the qual I currently hold and the lack of recognition is due to competition between CPA and ACCA rather than any genuine differences in method. Remember IAS Australia!

The situation has changed very rapidly over the last 6 months or so and now its virtually impossible to find work regardless of qualifications. Talking to recruitment consultants they are pulling in upto 80 applicants for each job advertised (and these are roles looking for some very specific skills).

Loads of work in insolvency!
Old Mar 28th 2009, 4:27 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General Query - UK Accountants Emigrating

The market is filled with poor performing, under achievers who have sat in roles in recent times because there really was not any thing else out on the market.

Times have changed and clients/employers are more discerning and deadwood is being turned out and roles will come available.

If your a problem solver make sure its clearly identified or laid out in your CV. Don't put it out as something you were directed to achieve either. Demand is for self starters who make it a point to get involved.