British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Accountants (https://britishexpats.com/forum/accountants-87/)
-   -   CIMA Qualified - moving to Sydney (https://britishexpats.com/forum/accountants-87/cima-qualified-moving-sydney-686660/)

Moving2Sydney Sep 23rd 2010 5:03 pm

CIMA Qualified - moving to Sydney

Hi there,

I was wondering whether someone can give me advice about the following:

I will shortly be moving to Sydney as the spouse of a 457 visa holder for 2 years. I am CIMA qualified and have 4-5 years experience working in various Finance roles in the Public Sector in London. I also hold undergraduate and Masters degrees in Management/ Accounting.

- Is there a demand for someone with my qualifications and experience in Sydney? How competitive is the market there? I am open to Permanent and Temporary opportunities there.

- I have the option to move to Sydney between Dec and March. What is the best time to move there, keeping in mind the number of finance jobs available?

I would appreciate any help/ advice whatsoever.

Many thanks

Matt

tartantopgun Sep 28th 2010 4:19 am

Re: CIMA Qualified - moving to Sydney

Although not in Sydney, my wife is CIMA qualified and has found no problems in finding work here in Perth. We were only here 3 weeks and she had secured a permanent position. The only difference I can see is that you are 457 and we are 176.

contact Michael Page agency and also hays.

Good luck :thumbup:

Bermudashorts Sep 28th 2010 11:28 pm

Pretty hard question to answer really, there usually are jobs for accountants about, doesn't mean every accountant will walk into one. I can't see it being notably different from trying to find a new job in the UK.

Perhaps not as many opportunities for public sector accountants and I expect that is the case in UK too.

I understand December and January are pretty quiet for recruitment so Feb / March might be better timing. Still if your OH is on a 457, they will need to come out when the employer wants them to.

Moving2Sydney Oct 2nd 2010 8:14 am

Thank you both for your replies and advice.

I will start applying for jobs in the next couple of months and see how it goes.

zoe.c.nguyen Oct 4th 2010 7:38 pm

I haven't worked for public sector, but i think they will probably require your knowledge in local tax regulation, perhaps have a look at ATO website (at least it will help you in the interview).

www.ato.gov.au (Australian Taxation Office).

Your qualification is well recognised in Australia , and accounting is really high demand, and well paid in Australia. Probably, you can send email to CPA (there is mutual recognition between CPA and CIMA), to check if they can qualify you as an CPA.

Two of my colleague are from Singapore and NZ, and they found a job within a month :)