Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

Accounting and Finance people leaving to Aus

Accounting and Finance people leaving to Aus

Old Jul 16th 2010, 2:23 pm
Banned

aseverinsen will become famous soon enough
Default Accounting and Finance people leaving to Aus

If you are leaving to head to Australia and are nervous about finding work. Get in touch with me as I have contacts in Sydney that will be able to get you exposed to opportunities before you leave the country. Also if you let me know what some of your concerns are before leaving, I may be able to help with that too as I have an information pack on moving there (not much but still helpful). Any questions throw them my way.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

laven is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Accounting and Finance people leaving to Aus

its a little bit off top but can I ask you a question re accounting and finance?

Does it make sense to do double degree Accounting + Finance to increase job opportunities after finishing a Uni?

I want to be on the safe side as its easy to find an accounting job in WA. At the same time I also want to keep the option of a career in Finance, Procurement, Supply chain open, and hopefully a degree in Finance will help??
Old Jul 16th 2010, 3:15 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aseverinsen
If you are leaving to head to Australia and are nervous about finding work. Get in touch with me as I have contacts in Sydney that will be able to get you exposed to opportunities before you leave the country. Also if you let me know what some of your concerns are before leaving, I may be able to help with that too as I have an information pack on moving there (not much but still helpful). Any questions throw them my way.
If you are offering genuine help, then thats great, and welcome to BE. If you are just touting for business for your company though your career on here may be short-lived

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 16th 2010 at 6:40 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

JOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really nice

Originally Posted by aseverinsen
I think this is fishy, but again I may be wrong.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by OverfromAus
If you are wanting to do Finance too then I would recommend doing it as it will keep your options open. Heading to Australia straight out of university isnt as good easy as if you had some experience here in the UK. For example if you became a qualified accountant here in the UK and then went over you could work in any of the cities for between $45 and $55 per hour. If you are just wanting to go over straight after uni and do a bit of travels then Bar work can pay quite well especially at night clubs as you get paid really decent tips. With being a grad you would be up against tens of thousands of other Australian grads and they are more likely to hire people that have permanent residency.

Hope this helps. Let me know thoughts
oh thanks Im not even British Im from Eastern Europe, Im thinking of getting a degree in Australia, I will be PR in a year, so by the moment I finish Uni I am going to have been be a citizen for a long time

The thing is about accounting it stereotypically seems like a boring job, what if I start working and realize Im not really into it..It just seems so easier to get an accounting job here in WA.. On the other hand I really fancy the idea of a work in Supply chain /Procurement which according to various governmental sites does not has as good outlooks and does not lead to money (I will be over 35 when I finish Uni) . So basically what I want is yes, to keep options open. I was a bit discouraged by the opinions on the other forum that a double major will not be much of a help, so thanks!
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

JOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really nice

Originally Posted by laven
oh thanks Im not even British Im from Eastern Europe, Im thinking of getting a degree in Australia, I will be PR in a year, so by the moment I finish Uni I am going to have been be a citizen for a long time

The thing is about accounting it stereotypically seems like a boring job, what if I start working and realize Im not really into it..It just seems so easier to get an accounting job here in WA.. On the other hand I really fancy the idea of a work in Supply chain /Procurement which according to various governmental sites does not has as good outlooks and does not lead to money (I will be over 35 when I finish Uni) . So basically what I want is yes, to keep options open. I was a bit discouraged by the opinions on the other forum that a double major will not be much of a help, so thanks!
What do you want to do in the future? Accounting is very broad and I do not think it is as easy as you think about getting a job in WA.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

I think I want to do purchasing / procurement / contracts administration in the future. And basically I realized I should do what I fancy, not accounting to feel safer and more secure, and should stop fearing some challenge in life.

Dunno, heard accounting in WA is not the hardest job to get.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno, heard accounting in WA is not the hardest job to get.
It would be pretty hard to get a decent accounting job in WA or anywhere else for that matter on the strength of a degree. Unless you got onto a graduate trainee program of course and there is pretty stiff competition for those places.

You don't sound very interested in accounting as a career, so I would suggest just forgetting about it and focussing on what you do want to do.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

People I know / read on other forums had no problem with finding accounting jobs in Perth, all Russians or Russian speaking.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

People I know / read on other forums had no problem with finding accounting jobs in Perth, all Russians or Russian speaking.
Data entry yes, real financial accounting jobs are very competitive, in some cases lack of candidates with local experience.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Local degree in Accounting
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Local degree in Accounting
There is a huge difference between a local degree in accounting and being a trained accountant with experience. There is more to accounting than passing a one off exam. I would have no interest whatsoever in somebody with nothing more than an accounting degree. Anyone can get an accounting degree.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

just saying Russians or Russian speaking with local degree in accounting I talked to do not seem to have problems with employment in Perth. Dont know anything about your experience.

Last edited by laven; Jul 24th 2010 at 2:42 am.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

just saying Russians or Russian speaking with local degree in accounting I talked to do not seem to have problems with employment in Perth. Dont know anything about your experience.
So if you have had no trouble finding employment why are you asking about doing more studying to help you get employment.

My experience is not comparable as I am a 15 year qualified accountant. But I am telling you my experience from the other side, as a manager, I would not be too fussed about someone with just an accounting degree.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Jul 24th 2010 at 6:51 am.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

I never looked for a job in Australia and I never worked as an accountant I do not have any experience or skills in this industry. Just few things: accountants in WA are very well padi in comparison with other states according to HAYS salary guides, accountants have prospects Very Good on sites like Job Outlook, and people I talked to didnt have problems with finding employment. And plus resource boom in WA. Doesnt sound too shabby to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.