CIMA Qualified

Old Jul 9th 2007, 10:03 am
Just Joined

w424637 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CIMA Qualified

Hi
I'm CIMA Qualified (10 Years PQE in Industry).
Graduate (2/1 Hons) in Combined Studies (Incl Accountancy)

Looking to start the migration process to Australia and bit confused by all the previous answers.

I believe it's preferable to transfer to CPA?
Do I need to sit exams still?
How long does the process take to get full CPA (if I really go for it as fast as poss)?
Does anyone know the a good source of available work (anything in online gaming)?
Whats the general way of doing things from the UK - move first get job second, apply from here, phone interview etc, apply to UK based companies operating in Aus? Any thought on this be helpful?

many thanks
Simon
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CIMA Qualified

Originally Posted by w424637
Hi

Looking to start the migration process to Australia and bit confused by all the previous answers.

How long does the process take to get full CPA (if I really go for it as fast as poss)?
You need to sit exams (CA Program or CPA Program, plus tax/law bridging study) to get the CA or CPA qualifications, respectively.

Australian CA is a more prestigious qualification than CPA (and more recognised in other countries), so if you are going to have to do more exams, it makes sense to look at the CA option. You don't need to work in public practice.

The only difference on work experience is that CPA may exempt you from the need to have 3 years mentored work experience, while CA won't.

Your first priority is to get a migration visa - http://www.immi.gov.au
Old Jul 10th 2007, 6:53 pm
Pam
Forum Regular

Pam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by w424637
Hi

Does anyone know the a good source of available work (anything in online gaming)?
Whats the general way of doing things from the UK - move first get job second, apply from here, phone interview etc, apply to UK based companies operating in Aus? Any thought on this be helpful?

many thanks
Simon
Hi Simon,
For Visa I used Go Matilda, and CIMA memebrship was enough- ie did not need to get any further quals or experience - as accountants are on MODL list. In fact I got Visa 9 months after applying!
As far as work is concerned, I have been liasing with some International recruitment agencies in Brisbane for the past 6 months or so, and they have said I do not need to get CPA/CA, as CIMA is now recognised globally (although they have said that some smaller companies may not yet be in the know about CIMA!).
However, some people on here advise people to do CPA/CA.
We do not leave UK for another 3 weeks, and do not have jobs yet, but we have not actually applied for any .
Therefore I am not actually in a position to advise regarding CPA membership benefit yet, but this is just my experience so far! I'm happy to keep you up to date with my progress if you like!!
Old Jul 10th 2007, 11:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pam
As far as work is concerned, I have been liasing with some International recruitment agencies in Brisbane for the past 6 months or so, and they have said I do not need to get CPA/CA, as CIMA is now recognised globally (although they
There is no such thing as a "globally recognised" qualification.

You might find CIMA ok for getting jobs in larger companies, or in metro areas. But even in this case, you may find it harder to get promotion later on if you come across Australians who only want to understand the local qualifications.

In terms of global portability, the Australian and Irish CA qualifications travel best of all. They have the most extensive access to mutual recognition agreements.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Sue McK is a jewel in the roughSue McK is a jewel in the roughSue McK is a jewel in the roughSue McK is a jewel in the rough

Hi Pam,
I am also CIMA, and at present have just filed our visa, it would be great for someone out on the other side to update on what it is like, and how easy it is to find employment, I have noticed that on the CIMA website they are actually now advertising vacancies.
regards
sue
Old Jul 11th 2007, 3:25 pm
Pam
Forum Regular

Pam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=JAJ;5038003]There is no such thing as a "globally recognised" qualification.

JAJ - I think you need to take this up with CIMA and the Recruitment agencies in Brisbane then - I am only repeating what I have been told.
I've noticed that in all your threads you are quite terse with people who hope that then get on without taking any Oz exams?
Being in the sort of role that requires a qualified accountant is stressful enough, add on to that moving to the other side of the world and you get a whole lot more stress. Why on earth would anyone to add to it further by doing more exams!!!

I've nothing against Oz exams - I've got something against ALL exams!!

Anyway, I'm taking my chances and going with the advice of the recruitment agencies who may be in a better position to advise than yourself - unless of course you are in recruitment?...
Old Jul 11th 2007, 11:57 pm
JAJ
Retired

[QUOTE=Pam;5040866]
Originally Posted by JAJ
There is no such thing as a "globally recognised" qualification.

JAJ - I think you need to take this up with CIMA and the Recruitment agencies in Brisbane then - I am only repeating what I have been told.
I've noticed that in all your threads you are quite terse with people who hope that then get on without taking any Oz exams?
Being in the sort of role that requires a qualified accountant is stressful enough, add on to that moving to the other side of the world and you get a whole lot more stress. Why on earth would anyone to add to it further by doing more exams!!!

I've nothing against Oz exams - I've got something against ALL exams!!

Anyway, I'm taking my chances and going with the advice of the recruitment agencies who may be in a better position to advise than yourself - unless of course you are in recruitment?...
Once again, long term, there is a risk that if you do not get an Australian qualification it may lead to doors being closed on you later on. Or it may not be a problem.

It's not just about getting first job, but long term career progression. And opportunities for professional networking. Bear in mind the job market may not always be as easy as it is now.

If you were an Australian CPA planning to live long term in the United Kingdom, I would say exactly the same thing about getting a British qualification.

Your choice.

You presumably now have to do CPD anyway, so getting a local qualification is one good way of fulfilling this requirement.

Last edited by JAJ; Jul 11th 2007 at 11:59 pm.