CIMA MRA

Old Mar 3rd 2010, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Si T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to all
Default CIMA MRA

Hi All

I applied a couple of weeks ago for CPA Australia membership under the CIMA MRA and today the full cost of the application fee and membership fee for 2010 has been deducted from my account.

I would assume that this then means that I will shortly receive the news that my membership has been accepted and notification against my included skills assessment.

One of the reason I took this path is that I felt an Australian qualification on my CV could only look better to prospective employers especially if I had held it for at least a year prior to moving.

Of those of you already in Australia, your opinion on whether holding the CPA designation could help once it comes down to job hunting when/if I receive my visa and make the move would be very useful? My view is that it can't hurt but it would be interesting to gauge the feeling on how much it may help.

For background I have approximately fifteen years experience as an Accountant in industry and am currently Financial Controller and Company Secretary of a smallish engineering group.

Thanks in advance

Si
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

The three bears will become famous soon enough
Default Re: CIMA MRA

Hi,

Did you receive confirmation your application was successful?

I am in the process of completing the application form and there were two questions I have after reading the notes which you may be kind enough to answer for me, if you can?

For certifying copies of ID papers - is a CIMA colleague able to certify?

The checklist includes a reference to attaching academic transcripts - is this if you are also applying for Skills assessment? I already have a positive skills assessment (and 175 visa) - I just want to obtain the CPA designation. I got the impression you just needed letter from CIMA / ID / Payment for this but reading the application notes I am not so sure.....

Also, take this opportunity to bump your thread - has anybody got any feedback on the benefits to their personal job search of obtaining CPA desigantion - particularly if you are in the Brisbane area as we will be there and looking for work in August!!

cheers
TTB
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 11:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The three bears

Also, take this opportunity to bump your thread - has anybody got any feedback on the benefits to their personal job search of obtaining CPA desigantion - particularly if you are in the Brisbane area as we will be there and looking for work in August!!

cheers
TTB
I was not able to benefit from a MRA as I am ACCA, if I were able to then I would have done it for the sake of filling in some forms or whatever it requires. However, I was not particularly worried either as I felt sure that an Australian employer would understand that a British person would not have an Australian qualification.

I am in Sydney at the moment on validation trip. I have spoken to several agents over the last couple of months and have had two interviews for senior finance positions since I arrived here last week, not one person has batted an eyelid at the ACCA designation. Common sense would appear to have prevailed.

My first instinct, that experience is the thing that matters, so far seems to be correct. I will concede that perhaps the Australian employer is more comfortable with somebody with a qualification from somewhere like the UK.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Si T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to all

Hi,

Did you receive confirmation your application was successful?

I am in the process of completing the application form and there were two questions I have after reading the notes which you may be kind enough to answer for me, if you can?

For certifying copies of ID papers - is a CIMA colleague able to certify?

The checklist includes a reference to attaching academic transcripts - is this if you are also applying for Skills assessment? I already have a positive skills assessment (and 175 visa) - I just want to obtain the CPA designation. I got the impression you just needed letter from CIMA / ID / Payment for this but reading the application notes I am not so sure.....

cheers
TTB
I had my membership confirmed within approx three weeks. If you call the CPA office in London they are very helpful and they will ask you to send it to them so that it can be sent with their mail and will be quicker.

As far as certifying the documents I got an ACCA to do it so I would think a CIMA member would be fine as long as they are qualified and remember to put their membership number on the copies. I believe the website gives you the statement they need to write on them.

Regarding your last point I have spoken to Michael Page Global Opportunities and they feel that "local knowledge" etc tends to be aimed at those working in areas such as tax where the legislation is different. There does not seem to be a problem with those working within other more generic areas of finance which pretty much supports Bermuda's point. It may be of interest to you that the consultant with Hays who I deal is being transferred to Sydney for four years so if you wish I can give you her details. PM me and let me know.

Bermuda, on a side note I am thinking of spending a couple of years in Bermuda/Cayman Islands while I am sorting all the Oz application etc as a tester as to whether we can live away from family and friends so would you have any contacts regarding recruitment over there for me to have a chat with and gauge the market etc please?

Cheers

Si
Old Jun 4th 2010, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks both for your replies - some confirmation of my own gut feeling there and some handy hints too!

My background is more in business controlling in large organisations and this is the type of role I will be looking for so expertise in tax law etc I don't expect to be a major factor and therefore, to a large extent as you suggest local qualifications are maybe not so important. A common sense philosophy. But as you both also suggest, common sense does not always prevail so if the MRA is a relatively pain free exercise why not if it might just get you past one or two extra CV screenings etc.

I look forward to following your experiences on these pages and wish you both the very best of luck with your own job searches - though hopefully none of us will be relying on luck too much..........

cheers
TTB
Old Jun 4th 2010, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Si T

Bermuda, on a side note I am thinking of spending a couple of years in Bermuda/Cayman Islands while I am sorting all the Oz application etc as a tester as to whether we can live away from family and friends so would you have any contacts regarding recruitment over there for me to have a chat with and gauge the market etc please?
I found my role through www.bermudajobs.com they also provided the relocation assistance. I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the person I dealt with, although she was an expat and could well have left by now anyway, it is a transient place.

Freshly qualified accountants from overseas, looking to join audit firms often use a company called Hamilton Recruitment. However from memory you don't fall into this bracket. I spoke to these guys when I was looking and they really could not help me as a more senior finance person.

Once I was in place, I never used recruitment agents when I needed to fill a slot. Most recruitment is done direct through the newspapers. This is because of legal requirements, jobs have to be advertised in the press so that any Bermudan has the opportunity to see it. Even if an ex pat candidate is identified, the job has to be advertised for a certain number of days in the paper before the company can proceed with your application. The agents come into play mainly when a role has been difficult to fill.

The Royal Gazette is the standard place where opportunities are advertised.

http://www.royalgazette.com/rg/Class...&sectionId=186

If you see a role that says "only Bermudan or spouse of Bermudan to apply" then don't think it is worth a shot anyway, there really is no point in applying. This means an expat is actually already in this role but their 3 yr work permit has expired and they are obliged to advertise the role again before the work permit can be renewed.

Good luck.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I found my role through www.bermudajobs.com they also provided the relocation assistance. I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the person I dealt with, although she was an expat and could well have left by now anyway, it is a transient place.

Freshly qualified accountants from overseas, looking to join audit firms often use a company called Hamilton Recruitment. However from memory you don't fall into this bracket. I spoke to these guys when I was looking and they really could not help me as a more senior finance person.

Once I was in place, I never used recruitment agents when I needed to fill a slot. Most recruitment is done direct through the newspapers. This is because of legal requirements, jobs have to be advertised in the press so that any Bermudan has the opportunity to see it. Even if an ex pat candidate is identified, the job has to be advertised for a certain number of days in the paper before the company can proceed with your application. The agents come into play mainly when a role has been difficult to fill.

The Royal Gazette is the standard place where opportunities are advertised.

http://www.royalgazette.com/rg/Class...&sectionId=186

If you see a role that says "only Bermudan or spouse of Bermudan to apply" then don't think it is worth a shot anyway, there really is no point in applying. This means an expat is actually already in this role but their 3 yr work permit has expired and they are obliged to advertise the role again before the work permit can be renewed.

Good luck.
Thankyou
Old Jun 24th 2010, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both for your replies - some confirmation of my own gut feeling there and some handy hints too!

My background is more in business controlling in large organisations and this is the type of role I will be looking for so expertise in tax law etc I don't expect to be a major factor and therefore, to a large extent as you suggest local qualifications are maybe not so important. A common sense philosophy. But as you both also suggest, common sense does not always prevail so if the MRA is a relatively pain free exercise why not if it might just get you past one or two extra CV screenings etc.

I look forward to following your experiences on these pages and wish you both the very best of luck with your own job searches - though hopefully none of us will be relying on luck too much..........

cheers
TTB
The MRA is completely painless. CIMA know the letter requirements, and it takes a few days to send. CPA completed my MRA in 4 days, and I don't care what anyone says, CA/CPA is better known here, same as ACCA/CIMA are better known in the UK. Regardless of your background, regardless of your speciality, it will never hurt to have a local qualification even if it is only to get you through the CV filters. It still gets you through.

Good luck!
Old Jul 26th 2010, 9:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by NikiL
The MRA is completely painless. CIMA know the letter requirements, and it takes a few days to send. CPA completed my MRA in 4 days, and I don't care what anyone says, CA/CPA is better known here, same as ACCA/CIMA are better known in the UK. Regardless of your background, regardless of your speciality, it will never hurt to have a local qualification even if it is only to get you through the CV filters. It still gets you through.

Good luck!
thanks for your advice. Following your advice and the advice above I am myself now and proceeding with the MRA.

Assuming it goes smoothly and I have a positive response, what designatory letters do you use? We are moving to Brisbane in three weeks and I am just waiting to send in some CVs to agencies (following CPA assessment), just wondering do you simply put CPA after your name or did you make some other reference in the body of your CV?

thanks
TTB
Old Jul 26th 2010, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

thanks for your advice. Following your advice and the advice above I am myself now and proceeding with the MRA.

Assuming it goes smoothly and I have a positive response, what designatory letters do you use? We are moving to Brisbane in three weeks and I am just waiting to send in some CVs to agencies (following CPA assessment), just wondering do you simply put CPA after your name or did you make some other reference in the body of your CV?

thanks
TTB
While you are living outside Australia you use CPA (Aus) and once onshore it is just CPS I believe.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 9:25 am
Just Joined

asadmasad is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Just need some clarification on the 100 points of identification mentioned in the MRA form. The credit card, national identity card, birth certificate, passport etc need not be of Australian origin rite, which means that I can use my own country's identity card and passport for claiming the required points? It may sound stupid, but just confirming it for the heck of it.

Thanks
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by asadmasad
Hi

Just need some clarification on the 100 points of identification mentioned in the MRA form. The credit card, national identity card, birth certificate, passport etc need not be of Australian origin rite, which means that I can use my own country's identity card and passport for claiming the required points? It may sound stupid, but just confirming it for the heck of it.

Thanks
Correct
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 9:52 am
Just Joined

asadmasad is an unknown quantity at this point

One more question. I was granted exemption from the initial four papers of CIMA i.e. Fundamentals of Management Accounting, Fundamentals of Financial Accounting, Fundamentals of Business Mathematics and Fundamentals of Business Economics, due to my previous education (Bachelor of Commerce from University of Karachi, and Foundation Stage of CA program of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Pakistan).

Will this be an hindrance in obtaining CPA qualification through the MRA? Or should it be just fine?

Thanks
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by asadmasad
One more question. I was granted exemption from the initial four papers of CIMA i.e. Fundamentals of Management Accounting, Fundamentals of Financial Accounting, Fundamentals of Business Mathematics and Fundamentals of Business Economics, due to my previous education (Bachelor of Commerce from University of Karachi, and Foundation Stage of CA program of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Pakistan).

Will this be an hindrance in obtaining CPA qualification through the MRA? Or should it be just fine?

Thanks
Its not a problem. When you send the application form off you will need a letter of good standing from CIMA to enclose. This is a simple one page document which makes some fairly straightforward comments regarding fees and that you have not been subject to disciplinary action in the last five years. They do not go into detail about your exam history etc.

If you need a skills assessment done remember that you have to fill in an additional form and it's cost is included in your initial fee.

Si