Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

CIMA and CPA Australia annouce mutual recognition

CIMA and CPA Australia annouce mutual recognition

Old Jan 15th 2009, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

Saint Hornet will become famous soon enoughSaint Hornet will become famous soon enough
Default CIMA and CPA Australia annouce mutual recognition

Good news it seems that no longer do you need to do ANY bridging exams to get CPA !

Read the link for all the details

"CPA Australia and CIMA have a mutual recognition agreement.

The agreement gives CIMA members preferred access to membership in CPA Australia and members of CPA Australia preferred access to CIMA membership.

Preferred access to membership helps organisations improve their market competitiveness and expand career opportunities for management accountants.

The agreement details how members of CPA Australia and CIMA can gain reciprocal membership.

CPA Australia members who qualify for membership in CIMA will have full rights to use the CIMA designation in the UK. CIMA members who qualify for membership in CPA Australia will have full rights to use the CPA designation in Australia.

CPA Australia members will be eligible for associate membership in CIMA and enjoy the same benefits as current CIMA members provided they meet the accreditation and practical experience requirements that have been established by CIMA."

http://www.cpaaustralia.com.au/cps/r..._ENA_PRINT.htm
Old Jan 16th 2009, 3:30 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CIMA and CPA Australia annouce mutual recognition

Looks like a great improvement in recognition for CIMA members in Australia, also Australian CPAs now have access to a widely-respected designation in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland.

(CPA Australia already has an arrangement with CIPFA, but CIMA is more widely demanded outside the public sector).
Old Jan 16th 2009, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

Colin Drain is an unknown quantity at this point

Great news for CIMA members. So with CIMA/CPA and and ICAEW/ICAA having mutual recognition, it looks like us poor ACCAs are being left out in the cold unfortunately.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

GUFF will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ
Looks like a great improvement in recognition for CIMA members in Australia, also Australian CPAs now have access to a widely-respected designation in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland.

(CPA Australia already has an arrangement with CIPFA, but CIMA is more widely demanded outside the public sector).
Good news indeed for CIMA members.
I am surprised membership is not contingent on the completion of some australian tax and law exams?

How is the CPA qualification rated in australia against the CA qualificaton ?
What are the main differences?

Guff
Old Jan 17th 2009, 1:52 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GUFF
How is the CPA qualification rated in australia against the CA qualificaton ?
What are the main differences?
CA is a little more "prestigious" but overall, unless you're newly qualified, there is not much difference between the two. Most employers don't make any distinction. Some people, for one reason or another, have both.

Bear in mind that those becoming CPA this way will not be allowed to practice public accounting in Australia unless they meet some additional exam/experience requirements.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 3:49 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

This is very interesting. I went on to the CPA website to find out more but can only find an application for CGA Canada members, not CIMA members.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
Old Jan 17th 2009, 3:58 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SunshineGirl
This is very interesting. I went on to the CPA website to find out more but can only find an application for CGA Canada members, not CIMA members.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
Found it here:

https://www.cpaaustralia.com.au/cps/...icMRA_FORM.pdf
Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Luke Brown has a brilliant futureLuke Brown has a brilliant futureLuke Brown has a brilliant futureLuke Brown has a brilliant futureLuke Brown has a brilliant futureLuke Brown has a brilliant future

That's great news!

I wasn't looking forward to having to do more exams :-)
Old Jan 18th 2009, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Luke Brown
That's great news!

Yep me too. However if i was half way through cpa exams or close to finishing them i would be somewhat peeved at this news!!
Old Jan 20th 2009, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luke Brown
That's great news!

Me neither - thankfully decided to finish the MBA off before doing CPA. Bloody glad I decided on doing it that way round.

Thankyou very much for posting this Saint, you've just made my day
Old Jan 20th 2009, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant future

Am i right in thinking that its only CPA where you don't need to do more exams, with CA you do? I miss studying so was actually looking forward to doing some exams and getting more familar with Oz systems/ways! - great way to meet people too...(eying up a sexy ozzie from across the hallway...)
Old Jan 20th 2009, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Looking forward to Oz
Am i right in thinking that its only CPA where you don't need to do more exams, with CA you do? I miss studying so was actually looking forward to doing some exams and getting more familar with Oz systems/ways! - great way to meet people too...(eying up a sexy ozzie from across the hallway...)
How sad!!! CA you need to do more exams CPA you don't.
So go for CPA and go study in the pub.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 1:00 am
JAJ
Retired

Nothing stops you becoming CPA through mutual recognition when you arrive and continuing with the CA program.

It will take a few years to become fully qualified as CA, and CPA will be useful in the meantime. Some people do have both CA and CPA.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Go for an MBA then!
Old Jan 21st 2009, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NikiL
Go for an MBA then!
or go for a pint.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.