CGA to CPA (US)

Old Dec 5th 2009, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

ron13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question CGA to CPA (US)

Hi ,

I am a new member to this forum which I find very interesting and helpful. I am based in Calgary, Canada and in the processing of completing my CGA. I would very much appreciate if someone can give me some advice in terms of getting the CPA (US). Sorry if this is under a different thread and discussed already.

I have 4 years of accounting in Canada in a plant controller position. I also have an MBA from Imperial (UK) which I obtained through distance learning. Once I obtained the MBA, I got it evaluated and got on the fasttrack program of CGA. Now I have oy two courses left to have it completed.

Once I obtain my CGA, I'm planning to take the CPA (US) as I intend to work in the US in the near future. I would appreciate if someone can give me some advice as to which state I should apply to. I have heard that Colorado is one of the states where the conditions are less restrictive. Can someone confirm that? I do not intend to work in public practice but instead remain in industry. I suppose then that it does not matter much from which state I get the CPA from. Or does it. I have heard that some companies ask specifically from white state one has obtained the CPA. It seems that not all the states have the same recognition when it comes to the CPA.

Thanks to all for your advice.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 12:40 am
Just Joined

Default Re: CGA to CPA (US)

Just to add to above comments.

I just saw that CGA has an MRA with CPA Australia. I was wondering if obtaining CPA Australia designation through the MRA would allow me to take the fast track exam IQEX of CPA US. Since CPA US and CPA Australia have an MRA on their own. I just think that this will save me time.

Thanks for your help
Old Dec 6th 2009, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Blendin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ron13
Just to add to above comments.

I just saw that CGA has an MRA with CPA Australia. I was wondering if obtaining CPA Australia designation through the MRA would allow me to take the fast track exam IQEX of CPA US. Since CPA US and CPA Australia have an MRA on their own. I just think that this will save me time.

Thanks for your help
"Australian CPAs and CAs with less than four years university education, or who obtained their university degree outside Australia, may not be eligible.

In recent times, there has been significant questioning as to the fairness of the IQEX rules[citation needed as applied to Australian Certified Practising Accountants.

Many accuse that the rule of requiring a Bachelor's Degree from the country in which the CPA is a member of limits CPAs who obtained their Bachelor's from countries such as Hong Kong, India, and China from qualifying for IQEX. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...on_Examination
Old Dec 6th 2009, 3:25 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Usually if you get membership through an MRA you cannot then go on to use that membership for another MRA.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Ron13, do you have a 4-year bachelors degree ?
Old Dec 6th 2009, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Yes I do have an MBA from UK.

Thanks guys for your comments.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 4:31 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I do have an MBA from UK.

Thanks guys for your comments.
The question was do you have a 4 year bachelors degree ...
Old Dec 6th 2009, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

You don't have to wait to get your CGA.

If you have a 4 year bachelors degree + MBA, then you can get a CPA certificate from Illinois, though you must pass the CPA exam and apply for the certificate prior to July 1, 2010.
Illinois is the most convenient State for many Canadians.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
The question was do you have a 4 year bachelors degree ...
Yes I do have a 4 year degree in economics JAJ
Old Dec 6th 2009, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Then go ahead with Illinois certificate (no experience and CPE required).
Colorado usually requires public accounting experience for the license or lots of accounting semester hours under rule 2.5.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 5:13 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Blendin
Then go ahead with Illinois certificate (no experience and CPE required).
Colorado usually requires public accounting experience for the license or lots of accounting semester hours under rule 2.5.
You say Illinois closes on July 1, 2010.

What will be the state of choice after then?

(also, a non-practising cert from Illinois may not qualify for CA status in Australia under the mutual recognition agreement, although of course a Canadian CGA can become an Australian CPA).
Old Dec 6th 2009, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
You say Illinois closes on July 1, 2010.

What will be the state of choice after then?
Colorado, Delaware and to some extent New Hampshire are popular with foreigners for different reasons.

(also, a non-practising cert from Illinois may not qualify for CA status in Australia under the mutual recognition agreement, although of course a Canadian CGA can become an Australian CPA).
A certified CPA from Illinois does not qualify for mutual recognition, only a licensed Illinois CPA does.

Mutual recognition between ICAA and AICPA is kind of useless if you are a CPA in your early 30's and no audit experience, you will be required to complete 36 months of experience at an approved CA firm.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 9:03 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Blendin
Mutual recognition between ICAA and AICPA is kind of useless if you are a CPA in your early 30's and no audit experience, you will be required to complete 36 months of experience at an approved CA firm.
ICAA accepts non-audit experience.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
ICAA accepts non-audit experience.
That's good news. I thought it was like CICA, which requires 36 months of experience in a approved CA firm.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

I am just wondering if the degree has to be in accounting only.

Can I validate the courses that I have taken with CGA?

I do know that Colorado accepts a masters degree in lieu of the work experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.