CGA to Australia

Old Jan 24th 2010, 12:44 am
Just Joined

DestinationBC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CGA to Australia

Greetings!

I am writing to find out if anyone on here has successfully emigrated to Australia as an Accountant without having completed the full CGA program in Canada.

I am currently studying for a Bachelor of Commerce and will have that completed at the end of December 2011. (as well as 1 of CGA level 5 courses) and by that time will have put in over a solid year's worth of experience. I was hoping to apply then at that time as my immigration time clock is ticking and I need to apply before I turn 40 (to ensure I get the full points.).

I look forward to hearing from anyone who can enlighten or provide encouragement.

Shirley
Old Jan 24th 2010, 1:28 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CGA to Australia

You are extremely unlikely to get a skill assessment as an accountant without either a. a degree in accounting (at least equivalent to an Australian bachelors), or a professional qualification recognised as equivalent.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 2:13 am
Just Joined

DestinationBC is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much for responding so quickly.

The Bachelor of Commerce degree includes all CGA courses up to and including Level 4 of the CGA program so thought this would do the trick.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 2:56 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DestinationBC
Thank you so much for responding so quickly.

The Bachelor of Commerce degree includes all CGA courses up to and including Level 4 of the CGA program so thought this would do the trick.
It may do for skill assessment. You'll need professional level work experience for DIAC purposes as well.

Strongly recommended to complete your CGA - not only can you become an Australian CPA by mutual recognition, but it will help you should you later on return to Canada.