Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

Calling all Accountants- a recommendation please!

Calling all Accountants- a recommendation please!

Old Mar 26th 2010, 1:48 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
annamichelle2310's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 123
annamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant future
Default Calling all Accountants- a recommendation please!

Hi


I'm migrating in two weeks' time, I'm ACCA qualified and embarking on CPA as soon as I get registered with them and qualification assessed etc.

Am going to be applying for Accountancy positions in the meantime- can anyone please recommend me a good Aussie Taxation and possibly Company Law book to get my teeth into so that I know where I am at and can hit the ground running please?

All good advice gratefully received!
annamichelle2310 is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2010, 12:02 pm
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Bermudashorts's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 14,284
Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all Accountants- a recommendation please!

Hi Anna

I don't know the answer to your question as it is not something I have looked into, but thought I would post as I am also ACCA and am going over in three weeks time. This is a validation trip for me but I will investigate the job market as I am flexible over permanent move dates.

Have you made many enquiries so far? Did anybody in Australia suggest that you should need to read up on tax and law matters? Do you work in practice?

I must admit I have always managed in the UK without being up to speed on tax and company law matters, so hadn't occurred to me that it would be any different in Australia. I don't work in practice though.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Mar 27th 2010 at 12:05 pm.
Bermudashorts is offline  
Old Mar 29th 2010, 1:45 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Scarborough Beach, Perth
Posts: 243
JOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really nice
Default Re: Calling all Accountants- a recommendation please!

Originally Posted by annamichelle2310
Hi


I'm migrating in two weeks' time, I'm ACCA qualified and embarking on CPA as soon as I get registered with them and qualification assessed etc.

Am going to be applying for Accountancy positions in the meantime- can anyone please recommend me a good Aussie Taxation and possibly Company Law book to get my teeth into so that I know where I am at and can hit the ground running please?

All good advice gratefully received!
Have a look at this website, they normally have discounts for CA and CPA students(or Lexis and CCH websites).


http://www.bookshop.unsw.edu.au/ca/taxation.html
JOE2010 is offline  
Old Mar 29th 2010, 3:09 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
annamichelle2310's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 123
annamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Calling all Accountants- a recommendation please!

Originally Posted by JOE2010
Have a look at this website, they normally have discounts for CA and CPA students(or Lexis and CCH websites).


http://www.bookshop.unsw.edu.au/ca/taxation.html
Perfect! Thankyou- you are a gem!
annamichelle2310 is offline  
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 11:25 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 73
travelling_annie has a brilliant futuretravelling_annie has a brilliant futuretravelling_annie has a brilliant futuretravelling_annie has a brilliant futuretravelling_annie has a brilliant futuretravelling_annie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Calling all Accountants- a recommendation please!

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Hi Anna

I don't know the answer to your question as it is not something I have looked into, but thought I would post as I am also ACCA and am going over in three weeks time. This is a validation trip for me but I will investigate the job market as I am flexible over permanent move dates.

Have you made many enquiries so far? Did anybody in Australia suggest that you should need to read up on tax and law matters? Do you work in practice?

I must admit I have always managed in the UK without being up to speed on tax and company law matters, so hadn't occurred to me that it would be any different in Australia. I don't work in practice though.
Hi BermudaShorts,

I am CIMA qualified and have been looking into taking advantage of the mutual recognition agreement between CPA and CIMA. I think they may have something similar with ACCA. It seems you can utilise the CPA designation pretty easily if you take advantage of the MRA but if you want to work in public practice then you need to complete the tax, audit and Oz company law papers to achieve your public practice certificate.

So it really depends where your apsirations lie.

I think I might try and complete them to keep my options open!
travelling_annie is offline  
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 11:34 am
  #6  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Bermudashorts's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 14,284
Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all Accountants- a recommendation please!

Originally Posted by travelling_annie
Hi BermudaShorts,

I am CIMA qualified and have been looking into taking advantage of the mutual recognition agreement between CPA and CIMA. I think they may have something similar with ACCA. It seems you can utilise the CPA designation pretty easily if you take advantage of the MRA but if you want to work in public practice then you need to complete the tax, audit and Oz company law papers to achieve your public practice certificate.

So it really depends where your apsirations lie.

I think I might try and complete them to keep my options open!
Hi Annie

Thanks for message but no I am not planning to work in practice, that is why I am not planning to take tax or company law papers. I didn't get to Australia either due to the volcanic ash.
Bermudashorts is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.